Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beads or egg patern?

Default Beads or egg patern?

If this has already been beat to death here forgive me.....
    It seems, from what Ive been seeing in my research, that beads are what everyone's using? over egg patern's
    As a dedicated fly fisherman I have a hard time using a plastic bead and a bare hook. from what I gather plastic beads aren't permitted in "fly fishing only" zones but have fly fisherman accepted plastic beads as a standard practice?

I mean no disrespect to anyone using them, just having a hard time understanding.

Just my prejudice, but I don't like beads. I spent too many years fishing egg patterns before beads came along, and I've been tying flies for over 50 years. I just get more satisfaction out of the flies. To each his own, until the beading methods result in lots of snags. Don't like that at all. As for beads being lures rather than flies in some restricted waters, that's my understanding even if I've never read the law. Doesn't affect me, so it's someone else's worry. Call me a geezer, and you're making me proud!

@BrownBear...I couldn't agree more! I've been tying LOTS of flies for my up coming trip to AK, Tied lots of egg patterns in various colors, just was wondering if I was wasting my time and would be better off with a bag of plastic beads, would MUCH rather fish egg pattern over plastic if it's just as successful?

Quote Originally Posted by Felcie View Post
    ...if it's just as successful?
    It is for me.

Here's a neat stunt:

Rather than packing along a bunch of beads, pack along your egg yarn. Kinda fun to tie on a hook using an egg loop, then pass the yarn through it and cut your own eggs right there on the stream. Sometimes it's really surprising what they'll hit when nothing else is working. And certainly nothing you thought of tying before you left home. Best I experienced was the time a sky blue egg with a flame spot smacked the kings in spring, and when a chartreuse egg with blue and pink spots smacked the silvers in the fall. Never worked again in subsequent years, but on those days the bags of yarn in my fly vest were priceless. Try matching that with a bag-o-beads!

Yes, a bead pegged above a bare hook is NOT defined as a fly and is not legal to fish in fly-fishing only waters in AK. It's pretty easy to solve that issue by fishing a bead above a fly, my favorite is a #8/10 BH pheasant tail. I stopped using yarn based egg patterns a long time ago, simply because soft egg patterns have a nasty tendency to be swallowed down the gullet making removal problematic. Beads tend to get spit out pretty quickly and I usually have no deep hooking issues with beads, regardless if they are pegged or not. A guide friend of mine has a pretty relevant statement: 80% of anglers are fishing beads in AK (and catching lots of fish), 5% refuse to fish a bead because it's not a "fly" (and are not catching many fish), and the last 15% are lying about not fishing beads (and catching lots of fish!)!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NorcalBob View Post
    Yes, a bead pegged above a bare hook is NOT defined as a fly and is not legal to fish in fly-fishing only waters in AK. It's pretty easy to solve that issue by fishing a bead above a fly, my favorite is a #8/10 BH pheasant tail. I stopped using yarn based egg patterns a long time ago, simply because soft egg patterns have a nasty tendency to be swallowed down the gullet making removal problematic. Beads tend to get spit out pretty quickly and I usually have no deep hooking issues with beads, regardless if they are pegged or not. A guide friend of mine has a pretty relevant statement: 80% of anglers are fishing beads in AK (and catching lots of fish), 5% refuse to fish a bead because it's not a "fly" (and are not catching many fish), and the last 15% are lying about not fishing beads (and catching lots of fish!)!!!!
    Be careful. Page 51, bottom right

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...egulations.pdf

Beads not attached to the fly are not allowed in fly-fishing-only waters.

Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I've always used beads. Could be that egg patterns will work, but I've tried and consistently had way more fish on beads.
    Thank God for people who don't fish!! Not much would get done without them =)

Thanks for the input and that's quite interesting, as that conflicts with a picture on the bottom of page 6 of the 2015 Southwest Regulations that shows a bead attached to a hook, and a bead pegged above a wooly bugger. Wonder which one is correct? Especially since all the guides I used in the SW all used a bead above a fly.

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Be careful. Page 51, bottom right

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...egulations.pdf

Beads not attached to the fly are not allowed in fly-fishing-only waters.

Called matching the hatch right......?

Quote Originally Posted by NorcalBob View Post
    Thanks for the input and that's quite interesting, as that conflicts with a picture on the bottom of page 6 of the 2015 Southwest Regulations that shows a bead attached to a hook, and a bead pegged above a wooly bugger. Wonder which one is correct? Especially since all the guides I used in the SW all used a bead above a fly.
    Neither is legal. The picture is used to illustrate what an "attractor" looks like.

(From the regulation booklet) A bead not attached to the hook is an attractor, not a fly

@BrownBear...I couldn't agree more! I've been tying LOTS of flies for my up coming trip to AK, Tied lots of egg patterns in various colors, just was wondering if I was wasting my time and would be better off with a bag of plastic beads, would MUCH rather fish egg pattern over plastic if it's just as successful?
    Coming from the East Coast, I'd buy a bag of beads. Or ten bags..
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

If this has already been beat to death here forgive me.....
    It seems, from what Ive been seeing in my research, that beads are what everyone's using? over egg patern's
    As a dedicated fly fisherman I have a hard time using a plastic bead and a bare hook. from what I gather plastic beads aren't permitted in "fly fishing only" zones but have fly fisherman accepted plastic beads as a standard practice?

I mean no disrespect to anyone using them, just having a hard time understanding.
    Beads catch more fish as they can imitate the egg 'hatch' better than yarn/foam egg patterns. They can be painted to match exactly what is in the water and sized appropriately. You won't have a hard time using them once you start catching fish, if that is your goal.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Quote Originally Posted by muzzyman87 View Post
    Coming from the East Coast, I'd buy a bag of beads. Or ten bags..
    Ouch,,,,

Thanks everyone else for your input....

beads are more productive…………..but try both and see what happens.

Not intended for seasoned bead fishing anglers here, but if your interested I wrote a small article for ADF&G online magazine about fishing beads:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...rticles_id=622
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I LOVE when purists scoff at me using beads. After I catch 30 or so and they have caught none, they will slowly come over and ask about the "whole bead thing" and that they've never used them. In the end, I'll give them a few beads and laugh to myself "I've converted another purist" he-he.

I LOVE when purists scoff at me using beads. After I catch 30 or so and they have caught none, they will slowly come over and ask about the "whole bead thing" and that they've never used them. In the end, I'll give them a few beads and laugh to myself "I've converted another purist" he-he.
    Wait, your not a purist?! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    Not intended for seasoned bead fishing anglers here, but if your interested I wrote a small article for ADF&G online magazine about fishing beads:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...rticles_id=622

Good article man. Thanks for sharing. Here is another great one.

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...ked-truth.html

As for beads, I enjoy making my own. In a variety of 2-3 colors of clay blended, in a roller that makes uniform 7 mm beads. I have had luck with some pink coral beads I bought at a gem store also. With clay and coral, I think the weight of these beads is of benefit. My favorite commercially available beads are the hand painted custom beads at Alaska Fly Fishing Goods website. While presentation is most important, I like to be well armed. Variety is key in my opinion. And I personally would rather fly 5000 miles to fish in Alaska with a variety of beads than a variety of globugs.

Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Ouch,,,,

Thanks everyone else for your input....
    I don't think Muzzy's comment was intended as insult.
    I think his point was that buying a few packs of beads when you arrive is going to be more economical (possibly), more efficient, and more convenient. In other words it's just plain easier. I'm not sure how much you will use them at home. If however you just enjoy tying egg patterns for tying sake, then by all means, carry on.

Not that I'm a purist at all, but it's worth noting that I've seen the reverse as well. I've watched guys throw bead after bead, going through all 46 thousand colors and sizes and not catch a **** thing, when a pheasant tail or something "traditional" is producing fish after fish. Part of fishing. It's the game. It's one of my favorite parts. Heck, I love fish, I love holding them, and looking at them. But in all honesty it's all about the game, and the take. After the hit/the takedown/the hookup. I got the best out of it. The rest is gravy.

As far as beads vs egg patterns; I really don't think one is more effective than another. Beads are simply more convenient, easier to have multiple colors, sizes, etc. Economically- probably a wash. 6 of one half dozen of another.

If one of Dans cute lil' clay 7.36mm fuchsia coral pink swirly doodads is catching fish, a fly of the same size and color and shape presented equally is going to catch fish. IMO.

As far as whether or not it's fly fishing....
    My standard response..
    Are you having fun? If yes; then who gives a ****?? Keep on doing your thing.
    If no- then good grief do something different.

Same applies for a lot of aspects of "fly fishing".. Throwing bobbers with a two hander... Throwing bobbers period... Foam/rubber synthetic flies.. bamboo or graphite, click pawl or carbon fiber drag..Side drifting vs wading, etc etc..
    It's entirely up to the individual to define it for themselves. I certainly won't judge you based on any of that; as long as you are ethical, polite, and legal.

Yeah, what he (icb12) said!
    As a fellow East-Coaster (although a little further south than you), and once "purist", I understand your moral dilemma about using a bead to take a trout. It's a similar dilemma that I, and many of us, faced years ago when thinking of fishing an indicator when nymphing. But if you made that move, you found that your hook-up and catch ratio skyrocketed when using a "bobber". Now try finding someone not fishing a bobber, recreational guys, or guide? There has been a mindset shift over the last decade or so, a shift toward using the best gear and equipment and techniques that actually catch you fish. You're paying a lot of money (I assume) and taking time to travel to one of the great fisheries of the world, Do yourself a favor, and use what works where you're going. You'll find yourself throwing beads and bobbers all day. And when you get tired of catching fish on beads, then switch over to egg patterns. But don't put your nippers away too quickly. A bead caught trout is still a trout caught.
    Tight lines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast