Thread: runnin the middle yukon with prop

Default runnin the middle yukon with prop

Does anyone have any experience running the middle yukon from the bridge down to tje nowitna river?? We would be running a 135 hp prop on an aluminum boat? any tips? Is there a book on that section of river for boaters?
    Obviously we would have a spare prop and tools....but concerned about runnin such a big river and not knowing the channels.....any help appreciated.
    Thanks

Follow the cut bank, avoid what looks like shortcuts, get the chart, stay "Found". Run the Rampart Rapids on the left side when going down stream. We ran 1300 miles last year on one prop. Had to take a file to it once.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Follow the cut bank, avoid what looks like shortcuts, get the chart, stay "Found". Run the Rampart Rapids on the left side when going down stream. We ran 1300 miles last year on one prop. Had to take a file to it once.
    What AKgramps says, just follow the cut bank is the safest. No books that I'm aware of. Best thing if you can is to follow someone with history, if not, just follow the cutbank.
    Tony

Running a prop on the that section of the yukon is no problem, if you pay attention. Most rivers you are looking for you next move every few minutes to keep you in the deep water. On the Yukon, it is fairly easy to tell where the channel will be, you just get complacent because your next move may be in 20 minutes or more. You get set on a track, space out a bit, and then oops wrong way. The Nowitna can be done with a prop. Lots of river teeth (logs sticking up) and submerged logs. But the river is lazy and wide enough if it has been raining a bit. We were there on a low water year several years ago and were glad to be running jet boats.

Whats the smallest boat \outboard you would run from the bridge??
    Looking hard at doing this trip just need to committ.
    I have an dm 802 tag.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

It is somewhat relative to what you want to carry, and how comfortable you want/need to be.
    I went in a 20' with a 140, we had full canvas, propane heater and was glad of it on the way back.
    The two guys in the other boat were in a 20' also, but it was a little narrower than mine (56" bottom I think?), in any case it was basically a open boat, they had a small plywood windscreen at the back of the boat for some protection. Had a older 2S 60hp yammie, we traveled the same speed (mid to high twenties). They burned a third less fuel than me and froze there azz off at times......
    They were tough.....! No tent, just a tarp on some nights...

They carried a big load and I was quite amazed at what they did with a 60hp. Personally I think that was pretty minimalist ...IMO.

Could you do it in a 16' with a 35-40 hp, sure but you would carry less and go slower....

Are you my yourself? Are you hunting? If you take a small boat can you haul 800-1000 pounds of dead moose?

Know your craft's capacities before you leave and your fuel consumption......

Its a great trip and you dont have to have big and fancy, but I think that I wouldnt make that trip with any less than a 20 with 60, and plan on traveling light...........

Where is dm 802?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Tanana to ukawutni creek...just past the novi.
    Thinkin of bringin 16' workskiff with center stand up console.
    70 horse 4 stoker. Guy with 20' boat is out.
    Just need to find a partner...i am 0/9.

If you are a resident of AK, then you don't need the tag unless you really want to keep the antlers. It is a registration hunt all through there too, but the registration includes downstream of the Nowitna, as well as the Nowitna. Be aware of Duyon Lands, get their map. You might be surprised at the amount of no go land around Tannana.

I had planned to make the trip with a buddy in a 17.5 Wooldridge Alaskan jet. We had the weight and gas figured out to the pound after years of overloading the boat on hunting trips and still were going to need to be on the kicker below Tannana to save on gas. I regret not being able to make that trip, but there were unfortunate last minute injuries that halted our plans 5 days before we left. It was going to be a long ride in a little boat, but we had seats and wind shield.

Wow, a 16' boat, with a stand up console. HMMM.... I wonder who is going to jump on that ride. You might be solo on this trip. Not a boat I would really want to spend 12+ hours traveling in one way. But, it can be done no doubt. Not to be a downer again, but the Ukawutni is outside of the DM 802 permit. Seems like the river is really the least of your worries. It is the logistics of gas and gear that you need to dial in. Sounds like a good Alaska go for broke kinda trip. It is a wild ride no matter how you do it. Post pics when you are done, and good hunting.

Dave...the regs say 802 is from tanana to ukawutni creek.
    Also what the biologist in FBKS said.
    Guess i have bad info??
    Looks like my plans are falling thru....gotta work and support all the takers.
    And others have to work.

Quote Originally Posted by rosscoak View Post
    Dave...the regs say 802 is from tanana to ukawutni creek.
    Also what the biologist in FBKS said.
    Just a note in case somebody searches for info on DM802 one day. My Brother had this tag, so we went through this once with him. The tag goes upstream of the Ukawutni drainage (it does not say the river). The map shows the river proper is out of the tag. So yes, there seems to be some confusion. Best to have all your facts straight before that little super cub lands at your camp with the nice officer from Galena smiling at you. I would check again with F&G.