Thread: river 77 stocks

Default river 77 stocks

I have owned numerous Ruger 77s with walnut stocks ranging from 223 through 375 Ruger. I still have several but just noticed that only one of them has recoil cross bolt. It happens to be on 77 MKII in 308. It looks factory but I can't say that I have ever seen a recoil cross bolt on another short action 77. My neighbor has a 338 Win mag and it doesn't have a recoil cross bolt in it's stock. My brothers H&H does have one. What's the deal? Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I have owned numerous Ruger 77s with walnut stocks ranging from 223 through 375 Ruger. I still have several but just noticed that only one of them has recoil cross bolt. It happens to be on 77 MKII in 308. It looks factory but I can't say that I have ever seen a recoil cross bolt on another short action 77. My neighbor has a 338 Win mag and it doesn't have a recoil cross bolt in it's stock. My brothers H&H does have one. What's the deal? Anyone know?
    Thread title is meant to be Ruger 77 not river 77....I hate this Nook notebook with a passion!

I've only seen cross bolts on the M77 MKII Magnum Express stocks and the earlier M77 African, but I guess most anything is possible. I'd say if it is a factory setup, that it is very uncommon....
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

WOW, EKC:

It's definitely worth extry money.

You are a shrewd gun buyer.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I own several older Ruger m77 "tang safety" only one short action though, mine don't have a cross bolt. Did you buy the gun new, maybe some aftermarket accessory the previous owner was scammed into buying.

OK, I finally got my laptop back and life is down to a mild roar so found some time to play with you chaps. I'll bite, what exactly is a recoil cross bolt?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    OK, I finally got my laptop back and life is down to a mild roar so found some time to play with you chaps. I'll bite, what exactly is a recoil cross bolt?
    It is a steel bolt designed to be inletted into wood stocks to add strength and spread the forces of recoil through the recoil lug area and sometimes the tang of the action as well. Google will turn up plenty of pics.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I did buy the gun second handed but the guy that owned it prior says it came with the recoil bolster from Ruger! I would switch stocks with the one on my 358 but the 358 is the tang safety variety and the 308 is the MKII so it's a no can do!

I did buy the gun second handed but the guy that owned it prior says it came with the recoil bolster from Ruger! I would switch stocks with the one on my 358 but the 358 is the tang safety variety and the 308 is the MKII so it's a no can do!
    If'n your old bones are gett'n to brittle to handle the recoil of a measly 358 there EKC, I will swap ya out some BB guns and knitting needles for them big old kickers!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Well, Since, it doesn't seem to be standard, maybe Ruger put it in because of the grain of the wood, OR maybe, it was a kind of wood, different than the norm, some reason to prevent splitting.

Anyway, don't let Smokey Cheat you. He stole those BB guns and Knitting Needles from a Lil Old Lady who has 2 grandsons. He doesn't have any money in them at all. He gott'em for nuthin.

It's the way they do business there.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

That there bolster don't lesson the felt recoil none just holds the stock together more better. I thought I was gonna need my three five eight last night. I was eating some supper and all heck broke loose in the other room. Hank went into full alarm growling and was snarling like there was something in the house. Well there was! Two 12 pointers hanging on the wall above the stairs went to fighting and they ended up at the bottom of the stairs with their horns all tangled up.

Seems like The Mrs saw fit to repaint that wall a few weeks ago whilst I was away. She rearrange the deer heads and I hadn't even noticed or would have said something. Anyhow the screws that were through the sheetrock into studs for a reason were now only through the sheetrock where there was no stud! The whole ordeal has my little hound dog so screwed up that he won't go down them stairs for nothing. He's always had a problem with those deer heads and it ain't likely to get any better from here out!

That there bolster don't lesson the felt recoil none just holds the stock together more better. I thought I was gonna need my three five eight last night. I was eating some supper and all heck broke loose in the other room. Hank went into full alarm growling and was snarling like there was something in the house. Well there was! Two 12 pointers hanging on the wall above the stairs went to fighting and they ended up at the bottom of the stairs with their horns all tangled up.

Seems like The Mrs saw fit to repaint that wall a few weeks ago whilst I was away. She rearrange the deer heads and I hadn't even noticed or would have said something. Anyhow the screws that were through the sheetrock into studs for a reason were now only through the sheetrock where there was no stud! The whole ordeal has my little hound dog so screwed up that he won't go down them stairs for nothing. He's always had a problem with those deer heads and it ain't likely to get any better from here out!
    Shssss,, If Smokey thinks it lessens recoil, he'll give you a better price.

Thanks for the story. I hope you don't hafta take Hank to a doggie psychiatrist.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

UIS Buck1.jpgNot to derail your post EKC but I got a good deer story for ya Smokey style!
    I wuz a buy'n me some biscuits and coffee at a Micky D's last Thursday about 7:15 and one of my co workers called and said a buck deer had his head all tangled up in a soccer net! So I moseyed over there and surnuff this young buck was in a bad way. Now, one of the workers wuz a cuttn the net loose but the buck woulda run off and died as the net was stuffed in his mouth and around his throat. I stopped the dern fool, ( I am pretty sure he is from MO? ) and told the boyz to stay ready and I tackled that bruiser, took him down like a steer roper! Two guys started cutt'n "whilst I held him in a knot! At that point I looked up at my co-worker and said why the h@#% aren't you taping this! We got a lot of footage but he missed the take down and so there goes my 100K video chance! The buck got up after about 30 minutes as he was tuckered and traumatized pretty good and walked off lookin fine. I can't get the video to post but here is a pic! I am gett'n too old for this deer wrestle'n stuff for sure...UIS Buck2.jpg
    Don't pay no mind to Smitty, I thinks he's been in the moonshine?
    Hey, I might have this figured out for the video?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201257059066994

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    UIS Buck1.jpgNot to derail your post EKC but I got a good deer story for ya Smokey style!
    I wuz a buy'n me some biscuits and coffee at a Micky D's last Thursday about 7:15 and one of my co workers called and said a buck deer had his head all tangled up in a soccer net! So I moseyed over there and surnuff this young buck was in a bad way. Now, one of the workers wuz a cuttn the net loose but the buck woulda run off and died as the net was stuffed in his mouth and around his throat. I stopped the dern fool, ( I am pretty sure he is from MO? ) and told the boyz to stay ready and I tackled that bruiser, took him down like a steer roper! Two guys started cutt'n "whilst I held him in a knot! At that point I looked up at my co-worker and said why the h@#% aren't you taping this! We got a lot of footage but he missed the take down and so there goes my 100K video chance! The buck got up after about 30 minutes as he was tuckered and traumatized pretty good and walked off lookin fine. I can't get the video to post but here is a pic! I am gett'n too old for this deer wrestle'n stuff for sure...UIS Buck2.jpg
    Don't pay no mind to Smitty, I thinks he's been in the moonshine?
    Hey, I might have this figured out for the video?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201257059066994
    That's a good story, but I'm thinking, "Poor deer. He gets jerked around, and treated like an animal when all he wanted to do was learn to play Soccer."

Have you considered putting those nets up, around your tree stands?

You already have a Trappers License.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Ha Ha Smokey! I'd give Smittys left tustarical to see you rastlin with that deer. I tried that once with a full growed doe that wasn't near as dead as I thought she was. She kicked the bajeepers outa me. I couldn't get turned loose of her soon enough and when I did she acted like she was gonna give me some more. I was askeared to go in the woods for near on a year. Now I shoot every deer in the noggin 3 or 6 times just to make sure the fight is gone out of them.

I'm pretty sure that snaring deer is agin the law in Chicago State. I know for sure that rastlin with em for fun is ok though. I'll take all the risk and snare us some deers and you can put on that Zorro mask of yourn and a speedo and head on over. I'll throw you and the deer in one of them old wire corncribs that are still all over the place and you can rastle and I'll run the videoography equipment. No worries iffen the deer starts gettin the best of you I'll plug it sooner or later. A footage first type deal. We could probably make some money iffen you hold up your end of the bargain! What-a-ya say Smoke??

Ha Ha Smokey! I'd give Smittys left tustarical to see you rastlin with that deer. I tried that once with a full growed doe that wasn't near as dead as I thought she was. She kicked the bajeepers outa me. I couldn't get turned loose of her soon enough and when I did she acted like she was gonna give me some more. I was askeared to go in the woods for near on a year. Now I shoot every deer in the noggin 3 or 6 times just to make sure the fight is gone out of them.

I'm pretty sure that snaring deer is agin the law in Chicago State. I know for sure that rastlin with em for fun is ok though. I'll take all the risk and snare us some deers and you can put on that Zorro mask of yourn and a speedo and head on over. I'll throw you and the deer in one of them old wire corncribs that are still all over the place and you can rastle and I'll run the videoography equipment. No worries iffen the deer starts gettin the best of you I'll plug it sooner or later. A footage first type deal. We could probably make some money iffen you hold up your end of the bargain! What-a-ya say Smoke??
    The World Wrestling Federation may be interested in putting it on TV.

Bull Doggin Deer. could become a new rodeo event.

Marketing Opportunities abound for such a video.
    You can't out-give God.

I'm game EKC, as I have been known to do dumb, uh I mean risky, stuff before! Yehaw...