Thread: Charters out of Whittier

Default Charters out of Whittier

I was wanting to know if there are any Halibut charters out of Whittier. I was more interested in half day charters but any info on any of them would be awesome, especially ones that offer a really good Military discount. My wife said that would be part of my birthday present but still can't afford a huge rate, since she is pregnant and the back to school thing. Thanks for any info.

Save your money, if you want halibut for the freezer go for the sure thing COSTCO !! guaranteed not to get skunked. Seriously though if you want to fish out of whittier its going to be a long day, i think your better bet is homer or seward and even there i'd think its a all day deal. Buy fish at costco and save some money for the growing family.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

It'll have to be Homer, Anchor Point, or Ninilchik for a half day, but for the record, there are a number of charters in Whittier. You will need a full day and unfortunately, it's not what I would call cheap anymore. You get what you pay for in the charter world though and I think that, although it's not a sure thing, my customers who take the gamble come out ahead vs. going to Costco. I'm not sure about others, but I give 10% off to combat Vets and active military. I have no space left open this season and wouldn't try to drum up business here anyway, but if you like to look at some typical Whittier catches, I post one a day here -

https://www.facebook.com/fishwhittier?ref=br_rs

Crazy Ray is the best. That guy put his clients on the fish....
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Costco is not near as much fun as fishing!

How long of a run out of Whittier do you have to go to get in consistent halibut fishing?

2 1/2 to 3 hours. Depending on how much fuel you want to burn getting there.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Save your money, if you want halibut for the freezer go for the sure thing COSTCO !! guaranteed not to get skunked. Seriously though if you want to fish out of whittier its going to be a long day, i think your better bet is homer or seward and even there i'd think its a all day deal. Buy fish at costco and save some money for the growing family.
    Offshore shows some very impressive catches! Since they're booked, you might call/google/facebook Crazy Ray's...who is also probably booked and see if you can get on a cancellation list. Probably looking at $300 or more for a day trip. Potbuilder is right, in general, fishing is pretty good at costco...you can even catch a nice black cod there. I must say a trip to costco would be a pretty deflating birthday present, though...You might also research Seward Fishing Club...they have a $160 coupon in the book of great deals. I have not dealt with them and their reviews range from the very best to the very worst. Like all charters, pay your money..take your chances.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak kid View Post
    How long of a run out of Whittier do you have to go to get in consistent halibut fishing?
    We normally go 40-80 miles, but we drive over a lot of fish to do it. You can get them anywhere in between if you have some patience and fish...

Ive gone with Crazy Rays twice and it was a blast. It's a three hour run but the fishing is awesome. He is a Ling master and I highly recommend him. Go to his Facebook page. They post openings on occasion or even call and get on a list.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Be aware of the new regs allowing one fish, any size, and one under 29" in PWS. Many charters will not allow a client to continue fishing for halibut once they land one over 29" (which is very small and yields very little meat). Crazy Ray is one of these charters as I heard it from a bunch of guys that recently went out with him.....alaskaBliss was probably on that boat.
    Would hate to see you spend $350- with Crazy Ray and have them gaff a 30" fish for you if you did not know....then your done halibut fishing with a 10lb chicken at your feet.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Be aware of the new regs allowing one fish, any size, and one under 29" in PWS. Many charters will not allow a client to continue fishing for halibut once they land one over 29" (which is very small and yields very little meat). Crazy Ray is one of these charters as I heard it from a bunch of guys that recently went out with him.....alaskaBliss was probably on that boat.
    Would hate to see you spend $350- with Crazy Ray and have them gaff a 30" fish for you if you did not know....then your done halibut fishing with a 10lb chicken at your feet.
    BK
    Ha! I was and since I caught a pretty nice halibut it wasn't an issue for me. He won't gaf it unless you want to keep it. It was best to release until you got one you wanted. The new rules are putting the same pressure on all charters. It's nice when you catch a under fish first then chase the bigger ones, but since it's fishing you never know whats gonna bite.
    If you are a paying customer, and all you want is halibut, I am sure you can continue chasing a under fish.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity