Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Flight Training

  1. #1
    Member Mr. Grayling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    401

    Default Flight Training

    Just started flight training this last week. Flying a Cessna 140. I wish I would have started this earlier, it sure was fun. Hopefully be certified by late October. I'll keep you guys posted.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

  2. #2
    Member Float Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kachemak Bay Alaska
    Posts
    4,218

    Default

    A C-140 is a cool old aircraft... If you do a cross country down to Homer some time, give me a call...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Congrats. I am currently in the UAA aviation program, just finished my ground school and start flying at the end of the month. I'm pretty exited about it also. I'll be doing my instrument ground school at the same time, and then on to commercial or CFI.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    FAI
    Posts
    2,294

    Default

    Take your time, have fun, don't get stressed. Flying is too special to rush and worry. Take it from a guy that did not fly for 23 years before coming back.
    Best of luck,
    ARR

  5. #5
    Member Mr. Grayling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    401

    Default

    Thanks for the advice. Floatpilot, I'll give you a call when I get down there, may be awhile though.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,461

    Default

    You'll find the C-140 the very most cost effective airplane you'll probably ever fly. Burns 4.5 gph and cruises above 110 mph. Can't beat that!


  7. #7
    Member Mr. Grayling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    401

    Default

    We'll, I've only got 7 hours since starting. My flight instructor is leaving here in two weeks and will be gone all winter. Anybody know any other CFI's in the Wasilla area? I'll still be flying the 140. Would like to continue through the winter and finish by spring.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    alaska
    Posts
    187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Grayling View Post
    We'll, I've only got 7 hours since starting. My flight instructor is leaving here in two weeks and will be gone all winter. Anybody know any other CFI's in the Wasilla area? I'll still be flying the 140. Would like to continue through the winter and finish by spring.
    Mike Koskovich 376-3465

  9. #9
    Member AK-HUNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Valley
    Posts
    1,029

    Default

    Call artic

  10. #10

    Default

    Tim Bloom at Birchwood. Solo and than come and pick him up. He drank too much milk growing up but he could fit in my pacer so should do fine in a Cessna.
    DENNY

  11. #11
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boneguy View Post
    Tim Bloom at Birchwood. Solo and than come and pick him up. He drank too much milk growing up but he could fit in my pacer so should do fine in a Cessna.
    DENNY
    Agreed. I've been flying with Tim recently in a Cub. Excellent instructor and a great guy to spend time with.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Walt Warner at legends aviation (legendsalaska.com) in Willow has been great. Also, I've heard good things about Bill? at Billingsley aviation at Wasilla airport.

  13. #13
    Member Float Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kachemak Bay Alaska
    Posts
    4,218

    Default

    Jay Baldwin in Palmer / Wolf Lake.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

  14. #14
    Member Mr. Grayling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    401

    Default

    Bill was my last instructor. I will try to get ahold of Jay. Thanks
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

  15. #15
    Member akscotts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer, Alaska
    Posts
    39

    Default

    I second Jay Baldwin at Wolf Lake!

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aztoak2 View Post
    Walt Warner at legends aviation (legendsalaska.com) in Willow has been great. Also, I've heard good things about Bill? at Billingsley aviation at Wasilla airport.
    Bill just retired to Hawaii, we had the going away party last friday. He said he may be back for parts of the summer though.

  17. #17
    Member Mr. Grayling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    401

    Default

    I wish he was still here. Does anybody have Jay's number? I tired Mike as mentioned but he wants the written test before he flies with somebody. I flew with Artic in Palmer on Saturday, but they charge on the higher side. Anybody know of any instructors still in the Valley?
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

  18. #18

    Default

    Have you talked to wingnuts in Palmer? Just search winguts aviation for their website. I have never used them but talked to them a while back and the rates seemed fair.

  19. #19

    Default

    That is strange that he requires the writen, the writen expires after 2 years and if you run out of money for flight training or it takes longer than expected you will end up having to retake it.

    If I were you I would save up like 10k and just fly to AZ and get it done in like 2 weeks, in that case you would want to do the writen ahead of time but you could do so knowing that you wont be weathered out and you will be going into a structured program.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Grayling View Post
    I wish he was still here. Does anybody have Jay's number? I tired Mike as mentioned but he wants the written test before he flies with somebody. I flew with Artic in Palmer on Saturday, but they charge on the higher side. Anybody know of any instructors still in the Valley?

  20. #20
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    If I were you I would save up like 10k and just fly to AZ and get it done in like 2 weeks, in that case you would want to do the writen ahead of time but you could do so knowing that you wont be weathered out and you will be going into a structured program.
    I've not utilized a service like the one suggested above, but in my experience there is a lot to be gained by doing your training in Alaska. Our weather is unique, our mountain flying unique, our lack of services over large areas, etc. If you have a instructor that really knows Alaska flying and if you intend to do most of your flying up here, I'd steer away from doing your training out of state.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •