Thread: going to valdez in a week

Talking going to valdez in a week

Going to take the family to Valdez and hope to catch some silvers while down there. Also some bear viewing if possible. hope to stay at the military campground if there is space available. Anyone offer some any advice on anything down there, we have never been there before. Taking the boat and the travel trailer. Anyone know if there is spots to park an extra vehicle and trailer at that campground as well?
    21' Thunder Jet Alexis

Taylor, we were down there last week and didn't do well on silvers but they just weren't in too well yet. You should do ok by the time you go. As to the campground there should be space but I stayed in the Air Force campers at Eagles rest campground. I am thinking there is another campground closer to the water but can't remember. Be sure and take rods and the kids to Allison Point near the hatchery to catch pinks and check out the hatchery. Its very neat and a highlight on our yearly trip to Valdez. Also you might see bears along the Dayville Road heading in there plus at the little creek by the Forestry cabin right before town. Good luck!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Was also down there this week and the big slug (we hope) of Silvers are still out quiet a ways (we hope and think). Not sure if they will make their way into an easily catchable area by the time you are down or not. The Air Force trailers at Eagles Rest campground are the only "military campground" that I know of so if you are taking your travel trailer somewhere else that has military rates you should let me know. If not and you are going to "Eagles Rest" it is a nice enough campground but for my liking "Bear Paw" and "Bayside" are a little closer to the harbor and water whereas Eagles Rest is sort of crowded and on the wrong side of the road (It's not bad just not as close as the others).

There is the military campground out past the airport, no idea who you contact to stay there, Eagles Rest has the military campers as mentioned, and they also have parking available for extra trailers and vehicles in the back of the campground, Bayside is right across the street and I'm sure they would find a place to park extra vehicles also. Silvers are scattered all around, doesn't seem to be any large masses of fish as of yet. Plenty of bears on Dayville Road by the hatchery

I've stayed at the military campground out past the airport in a travel trailer. Its first come first serve. They do have some trailers you can rent and reservations can be made for them. We were there last Labor-day weekend. It shouldn't be as busy when your planning to go so I would think there would be space available. If you Google it, you can find the phone number to make reservations for the trailers, they will give you a direct number to call the campground the host carries a phone he can tell you how full the campground is. The Campground does have showers, it has a lot more privacy, nicer camp spots then most of the places in town.

The Ft Greely MWR used to manage the Glacierview campground by the airport. I br lieve they have farmed out the day to day management, but they should have phone numbers.