Thread: Yenta bear hunt

Default Yenta bear hunt

Me and a buddy are going to be going up the Yenta for bear this weekend. We will be taking a jet boat up as well as hauling a scanoe with a small prop. Neither of us have hunted brown bears or any bears for that matter along rivers, though we have been successful hunting bears at elevation (black bears).

Our plan is to take the jet boat up river till we find somewhere to set up camp that gives us options of exploring with the canoe. Where ever we set up we'll use the canoe to try to locate some bears. Does this sound like a good plan? Any advice? Anything help is appreciated.

You will need to get as far back as possible to be able to find any bears. The bears may not even be down that low yet because, the fish haven't got up that high. Any bears you shoot, I really hope you don't plan on keeping meat because, it will smell and taste like dead fish. I would bring a little fishing rod as well, there are lots of big pike up there.

Plenty of bears up in there. At least get to the skwentna. My buddy's cabin got tore up the other day and he is down low there...

Anyone have any idea how the water level is doing up there right now? Thinking about running up and trying for a late season black bear but worried I might not have enough water.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

I couldn't tell ya man. I haven't been up there since Aug. I do know there is a website that you can use to check water levels but it's current just showing predicted water levels.

http://www.water.weather.gov/ahps2/h...afc&gage=ylka2

Take a look at the Deshka Landing web site there might be a river report there. Or call Dan and Jean at Yentna Station.

Head up as far as you can go as mentioned. Set up camp on a bend where you can glass the river both up and downstream. Late afternoon and early morning is best. Good luck..
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Water level on the Yetna by lake creek today is 15.59 feet and by Saturday is suppose to be 14 feet. Keep in mind that if it gets cold at night the Yetna could drop as much as four feet in a night. If I was hunting bears I would get above lake creek.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association