Thread: Shell found metal detecting; what is it? FNM 81-28

Default Shell found metal detecting; what is it? FNM 81-28

I found a bullet shell metal detecting a couple weeks ago in an area with a lot of old history. Was just wondering what type of gun this was used in? Casing says FNM 81-28 on the bottom. I tried searching the internet for an answer, but haven't had much luck. Maybe it's not even that old...I wouldn't know. Any help is appreciated!

Sure help if you gave us a clue what caliber it is.

Military 7.62X51
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

FNM is Portugese. Several different calibers have been imported over the years. 8mm Mauser, 308, and 30-06 all come to mind.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

The casing is broken off halfway up, there is no way for me to tell what caliber it was. I'll take a picture of what I have and post it if that helps. This area was heavily used around the early 1900s, and a lot during the WWII era. The diameter of the casing is 7/16''.

Here are the pics

IMG_1428_zps19200b7d.jpg
    IMG_1431_zps432950cb.jpg

The cross in the circle is means NATO spec. That means its 7.62x51 (308 win). So, it's Portugese milsurp 308, likely made in 81.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ