Thread: getting started

Default getting started

I am new to salt water fishing and would like some in put from the folks out there as to what kind of gear I will need to have to go for salmon. I have the bout and will be fishing from Valdez

Wow.... The sky's the limit.

Best possible thing you could do is pick a local guy who's real successful with a boat similar to yours, then beg or buy a few rides on his boat. He'll know more about local waters and local fishing, as well as boat operations, than anyone sitting in another port pounding guesses onto a keyboard.

BB nailed it IMO....and then after that and you have your boat rigged right, invite the same new friend to go out on your boat and show you the ropes.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy View Post
    ....and then after that and you have your boat rigged right, invite the same new friend to go out on your boat and show you the ropes.
    You nailed it yourself. That's a valuable second half of the process.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Wow.... The sky's the limit.

Best possible thing you could do is pick a local guy who's real successful with a boat similar to yours, then beg or buy a few rides on his boat. He'll know more about local waters and local fishing, as well as boat operations, than anyone sitting in another port pounding guesses onto a keyboard.
    I've been looking for that guy for awhile...but slowly and enjoyably cracking the code on my own. Great advice, though...a guy could learn a whole bunch real fast!

Best thing, IMO is to go buy a pair of downriggers, 15lb. balls, 3 small hotspot flashers green or red with silver reflectors, 3 large hotspot flashers, a dozen or so "mooching rigs" I like 4/0-5/0. Go search YouTube for "cut plug herring" and learn to do that. That combination will catch salmon anywhere they exist. You'll use this gear to troll for salmon on days when they are spread out.

Throw in some coho killer spoons, coyote spoons, both in blues and greens, for the days you run out of herring. Run them behind the flasher in place of the cutplug herring.

Watch a YouTube video on "mooching", when the fish are thick this is the most fun, you'll need some 4-6 oz. banana weights for that. I like the ones painted orange or chartreus.

Those are the two most common methods of catching saltwater salmon. Slight variances in presentation (speed, leader length) for different species but those will get you going.

I'll be looking for a trip on your boat whenever I make it to Valdez...

For reels I like the Penn Fathom 25lw. I've fished them 50-60 days of the past 2 1/2 months an can't say enough good things about them.

This is strictly my opinion but I would start out simple, get a couple of decent rods, some pink lady's or dipsy divers, some flashers, and some T-spoons, troll between 2-3 knots, run your gear at varying depths, 15-45 ft is where I catch most of my silvers, its a slow year for silvers right now but they are out there, we did a lot of trolling on Saturday for the Women's derby and there was not a lot of fish caught, I would be glad to help you out, message me if you like.
    Amanda Rose
    2010 Kingfisher 3025
    Twin Yamaha 250's

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher10 View Post
    This is strictly my opinion but I would start out simple, get a couple of decent rods, some pink lady's or dipsy divers, some flashers, and some T-spoons, troll between 2-3 knots, run your gear at varying depths, 15-45 ft is where I catch most of my silvers, its a slow year for silvers right now but they are out there, we did a lot of trolling on Saturday for the Women's derby and there was not a lot of fish caught, I would be glad to help you out, message me if you like.
    Sounds like the Seward fish are deep this year, maybe that's the case out your way too?

We used to catch them from the surface to no more than 60'. Guys I've talked to this year are getting them at 100 or even 120' at times!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher10 View Post
    ++ what Kingfisher10 said. There is no quick crash coarse on learning how to fish in the big puddle. Don't be afraid to experiment a little. Talk to other fishermen and fisherwomen. Watch what others do; New to an area pay for a day charter, pay attention to how they rig up and fish.

Quote Originally Posted by larry guns View Post
    I am new to salt water fishing and would like some in put from the folks out there as to what kind of gear I will need to have to go for salmon. I have the bout and will be fishing from Valdez
    While I won't be so bold as to say gear doesn't matter, I will say silvers are very agressive feaders and it's almost harder to find something they won't take than what they will take. I've used lw spinning rods with 10# mono, medium to medium heavy trolling rods with mono and braid, and even taken them on my heavy jigging rods I use for halibut and rock fish.

You can drop a bunch of money on downriggers, or go with the simpler divers, but IMHO I'd put the effort into finding the spots the silvers hold rather then getting frustrated with tangles and trying to dial in your trolling speed.

As silvers come into bays there will be points of islands and bays that tend to concentrate the fish. If you see such a point with seagulls on top indicating a ball of baitfish, or a handful of boats fishing the area, odds are there will be silvers there (or have been silvers there in years past) Observe the boats and you'll see where the tide or wind is carrying them past the point. Motor up current or up wind and let your boat drift by the point.

For hardware, a medium to medium heavy casting or spinning rod in 8-10' works well. Reals are up to you, plenty of good ones out there. I prefer braid in 30-50# but nothing wrong with 20-30# mono. For terminal tackle I'd recommend some mooching rigs with 3-6 oz bannana sinkers and green hoochies. Also a good bet is a 4" buzzbomb, I'd get a few in silver and a few in white/green. Crippled herring, point wilson darts etc in herring colors in 4-6 oz are good.

Your sonar will be marking the fish as they come through, pay attention to the depth they are holding and drop your mooching rig or jigs to that depth or slightly below and work them. With buzz bombs I cast them out a ways, let them sink for 5-10 sec and then work them back to the boat.

Again, silvers are generally easy to catch and not picky about what you throw at them, the key is not every gallon of ocean holds them, in fact most of the ocean doesn't hold fish so you need to find the areas they tend to congregate in. I will say on bright sunny days they do tend to more resistant to biting, especially if they are running shallower, say 30-50'.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.