Thread: Average Moose Rut dates ?

Default Average Moose Rut dates ?

Each yr down here in Australia our certain deer sp Rut in a given time frame. Fallow usually go around the 10th -12th of april and Red stags usually around the 25th of march in the areas i hunt.
    So what do you guys find is the average dates for the moose rut in Alaska?

Quote Originally Posted by Jawz View Post
    Each yr down here in Australia our certain deer sp Rut in a given time frame. Fallow usually go around the 10th -12th of april and Red stags usually around the 25th of march in the areas i hunt.
    So what do you guys find is the average dates for the moose rut in Alaska?
    I've been told any day during sept. I wonder if the rut dates are area specific? Anyone know?

When I guided out of Kotzebue it was the 7-9th of Sept that it would kick off. I looked forward to that date every year because over night it was bulls everywhere. South Central you can wait till the very end of September to the first week of October for the rut... It depends on where you're at when the rut kicks off

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    When I guided out of Kotzebue it was the 7-9th of Sept that it would kick off. I looked forward to that date every year because over night it was bulls everywhere. South Central you can wait till the very end of September to the first week of October for the rut... It depends on where you're at when the rut kicks off
    I know the bulls here hit the rut just after the season opens. And they will go until they mate I guess. I helped pack three bulls out two years ago in one weekend. Two stunk to high heavens and the other one smelt like he hadn't hit rut yet. All three were big bulls too.

Off topic: when were you in Tony and what BN were you with?

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    I know the bulls here hit the rut just after the season opens. And they will go until they mate I guess. I helped pack three bulls out two years ago in one weekend. Two stunk to high heavens and the other one smelt like he hadn't hit rut yet. All three were big bulls too.

Off topic: when were you in Tony and what BN were you with?
    4ht recon bn went in 3/01 and got out 4/06
    Semper fi

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

As stated, it really depends on the area of the state you're in. Two years ago I killed my bull on September 16th. He wasn't responding to calls/grunts, and had no rutty odor to him. Same day in a different unit, 30-40 miles north, a friend took a bull of comparable size. He was rutting, swollen neck, been rolling in his piss, etc...I've rattled a bull in on the 1st of September and even took a forky years ago on August 20th by scraping a tree and bringing him in. General dates are mentioned above- First week of September into October.
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde

From my limited experience on the Koyukuk, Sept. 12-15 seems to be about the time they start coming into calls.

Further south in the yk delta, usually the last week in September. The bigger the bull the earlier.

So you would think mid to late sept for most of it?

So you would think mid to late sept for most of it?
    That has been my experience. After the 15th of September we were successful calling bulls

Cheers guys. So most seem to think it's more mid sept that they respond best and are more likely rutting.

You will get a difference answers if you said what you think rutting is. For instance most people think when a bull will answer a call that is when moose are in rut. Other say when the velvet falls off the antler, or when a cow will let a bull mate with them. To add to the confusion if it get cold a bulls will think he late for a very importance date. Let not forget a young cows moose will go into ester before an older one.

All of this happen between August 25 and October 10, give or take a few days.

Does it really matter when or what is happening, for the moose or biologist it does. Not so much for a hunter because if the hunting reg.

Cheers guys. So most seem to think it's more mid sept that they respond best and are more likely rutting.
    By mid-September the larger, older bulls should be starting to get stinky. By the 20th all bulls over about 45+ should be stinky and the big boys will reek 300 yards away. Generally when they start to dig rut pits is when they start getting more active and vocal. Find rut pits and you're likely in a good area with some big boys around.

Sometimes calling can be overrated, especially in an area that is hunted hard with lot's of people callers. Being quiet and listening for the true moose sounds can be just as effective as calling.

In SC-AK I believe around 90 percent of the breeding takes place between Sept. 26 and Oct. 5th or 10th. But they definitely start the rutting ritual the first part of September.

My experiance have been that when the first frost comes that seems to get them going. That being said, up in the hills they will be more likely to come into rut before the ones in the lower flatlands. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers guys . Down here we tend to see it the same. If we are getting close to the rut and we get a sudden cold snap it can send them right off.