Thread: Winterize first?

Default Winterize first?

Hello all--

Just wondering you thoughts on winterizing a vehicle before we arrive. We are having our Ford fusion shipped from California to Eagle River, due to arrive on or about September 1st. My question is- can we have it winterized once we arrive, or is is a better idea to have it done before the car is loaded on the shipping trailer?

I'm thinking it may be done better/correctly/more thoroughly in AK than here? But maybe I'm mistaken and its the same everywhere?

Any input or advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Morgan

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by soon2beinAK View Post
    Hello all--

Just wondering you thoughts on winterizing a vehicle before we arrive. We are having our Ford fusion shipped from California to Eagle River, due to arrive on or about September 1st. My question is- can we have it winterized once we arrive, or is is a better idea to have it done before the car is loaded on the shipping trailer?

I'm thinking it may be done better/correctly/more thoroughly in AK than here? But maybe I'm mistaken and its the same everywhere?

Any input or advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Morgan
    Wait till ya get here.

What do you mean, "winterize"?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    What do you mean, "winterize"?
    Just a guess- Some vehicle motor oils are created for warmer or colder temperatures. Some people in the lower 48 may have water in their radiator which would freeze. So the correct radiator coolant would be needed. Some areas may require a engine block heater that could be plugged in.

Correct me if I'm wrong or if there's anything else to consider.

If you were to be driving up, in the dead of winter, then you should have the work done before you leave, preferably by a mechanic who has a clue about what is required for our climate (most L-48 mechanics don't). In this case, since you're shipping your vehicle and arriving 1 Sept, you're fine and I agree that you should wait and have it all done here. If you were to be arriving a month or more later, I would advise you make sure your coolant and windshield washer fluid was good to -40 before traveling up, and have the rest of the work done here.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I would try to do as much as you can while you are in a familiar environment. Maybe you currently have a garage that you trust. Then do anything else that might come to mind later in AK. It would be a trust issue for me because you won't know anyone in a new area. Just make sure they know to use products rated for colder temps.

I was typing as iofthetaiga replied. I'm not sure if certain products down here go down as far as -40 degrees. Some products may not be available in certain areas of the country because they simply do not use them. I think some windshield washer fluids around here only go down to -20. So you may have to wait just because of availability.