Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fishreport - Ninilchik Charter (Afishunt)

Default Fishreport - Ninilchik Charter (Afishunt)

We took the "Afishunt II" out on the afternoon half-day charter yesterday. 28' boat, 6 clients, 2 crew. First I should say it was a nice setup - dual 225hp Merc 4 strokes, got us out to where we dropped line pretty fast. Weather was real nice. 50s and overcast, not a ton of wind.

Boat limited out in < 2 hrs. I myself caught 5, (released the first 3). Not a lot of big ones - mostly 20 to 25lb. Our biggest on the boat went 48lbs.

Which brings up a question - are Halibut weights always taken after they have bled out?

Everyone had a good time. Crew was great (Keith, and Tiffany). I would recommend them to someone looking to fish out of Ninilchik.

Tight Lines --

If you have a potential derby fish, you don't want to bleed it out, so it gets as close to actual live weight as possible. Others get bled out pretty quick, to avoid bloody fillets...at least that's what the happy feller who offer to fillet our fish told us in Homer last week.

Default just my thoughts

Glad you had a good time, you are right, those two make an excellent duo, personally I think catching a big fish has more to do with what God wants for you that day!! If I can find the money I will go with them again this summer!

I have found in my experinace with some of the charters out of that same area they are like that becase they are running doubles (Charging full day price for half day of fishing). I went out with CPT Steve and that was a full day of fishing. If you were not happy with the catch either was he. He wants you to catch quality fish and he will work for you all day. Just my two cents..........

AlcanRon,
    You are correct that it was a half day charter for a full day price. We were told the tides were not right that day so we did not go out until after noon. Back to the beach by 5:30, fish cleaned (what little there was), and to our cabin in Soldotna by 7:45.
    We have been on several charters (granted mainly with one other service). Only one other time were we disappointed with the treatment by one of the crew (a young kid- 16 or 17- who thought he was GOD's gift to fishing). Captain of that boat was great- he talked the charter owner into giving us a DEEPLY discounted trip the next year. Now we only go with that Captain or we don't go at all.
    Last year we were not able to book with that Captain, but he HIGHLY recommended a trip out of Homer for lings, halibut, & rockfish. Unfortunately we got blown off- rescheduled the trip for this year AND also got a date with our original Captain (after we were originally told he did not have any open spots the dates we were available). LIFE IS GOOD!!!!!!!!
    Got the lodging thing down pat. Slowly but surely we are finding out who the go-to guides / services are and who to avoid. Each year we try to add, or change, one thing to what we do. This year we are going shrimping out of Whittier.
    Can't wait to get back to Alaska.

I'm curious.. How many halibut does that boat hook and release to get to an acceptable fish?
    Last edited by Brian M; 03-06-2011 at 14:17. Reason: referenced deleted comment

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I'm curious.. How many halibut does that boat hook and release to get to an acceptable fish?
    I only retain what my clients consider an "acceptable" fish. I don't impose an "acceptable fish limit" on my clients. That's heinous.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I'm just curious if boats are sitting on the 12lb patch, sorting through 20-30 halibut a day to get a few 18lb fish. That's got to be tough on the resource.

I've been on Afishhunt charters through the years and we only go with the owner John Baker. He's a nice, knowledgable guy and has never steered us wrong. I've never gone with his other employees and by the sound of it, never will. Most of our catches with John have been 65-120 lb fish. He never had a problem with running out to the trench for nice fish.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Went on a charter out of deep creek last year and got the chickenitis treatment too. Got blown off in the morning so we dipped on the Kasilof early morning then came back and cleaned fish - wind died down and captain said we were on for the afternoon tide....he pushes 2trips a day also if they don't get blown off.

Another thing they will do is run you down with 5 pound weights (yes) during the rip and bang a few 5-10 lbers - after reeling up just to check bait a few times you become more willing to keep the little fellas real quick.

I won't charter out of deep creek, ninilchik, or homer any more due to the 3 trips I have had out of there. I much prefer to drive to Valdez and go out with the charters over there. For some reason the Valdez fisherman really seem to be willing to work hard for their clients....I like that. The otter dodger took us for a 13 hour day last summer - we had some awesome lings (June 30th) but couldn't get the last 2 halibut to fill the boat...he worked hard though for everyone and was a great guy to fish with.

I will still fish out of deep creek/homer - but I will be in my very uncomfortable dinghy....

Thanks to all for these reviews - they provide a ton of information for us trip planners. I'm all geeked up about my upcoming charter out of Homer - years of terrific reviews on the captain I selected.

Nice time to be fishing in Texas. Sitting in Austin right now - highs of 75, lows of 60. Going crappie fishing Saturday night at our favorite fishing hole. When things get quiet and slow, I'll say to my fishing buddy, "This summer, when I go to Alaska . . . "

270ti,
    I probably caught a dozen halibut, 2 or 3 sharks, & 2 cod. My largest halibut was 17# (I finally got tired of hauling up dinks). Wife caught ATLEAST a dozen halibut, 4 or 5 sharks, 2 cod, and the irish lord. The others on the boat seemed to be satisfied with the little fish. Most caught less than 5 fish before keeping their two. There were 7 people fishing on the boat and my wife & I were the last to stop fishing. Largest halibut caught was maybe 20#. There were a few sub-10 pounders kept. They were happy with what they got. Me, I knew the fishing was better than what we were shown and that was what was so frustrating with the whole situation. This was the first halibut trip where a shooter was not hauled in (out of maybe 10 previous trips). Prior largest was a 71# (not mine though) My largest was a 42#. Wife had caught a 52# in 2009.
    Also to clarify the situation- My wife & I DID NOT book with this charter service. We purchased a package deal that included one day of halibut fishing & AFISHHUNT was the provider of the halibut charter.

Quote Originally Posted by nuprofessor View Post
    270ti,
    I probably caught a dozen halibut, 2 or 3 sharks, & 2 cod. My largest halibut was 17# (I finally got tired of hauling up dinks). Wife caught ATLEAST a dozen halibut, 4 or 5 sharks, 2 cod, and the irish lord. The others on the boat seemed to be satisfied with the little fish. Most caught less than 5 fish before keeping their two. There were 7 people fishing on the boat and my wife & I were the last to stop fishing. Largest halibut caught was maybe 20#. There were a few sub-10 pounders kept. They were happy with what they got. Me, I knew the fishing was better than what we were shown and that was what was so frustrating with the whole situation. This was the first halibut trip where a shooter was not hauled in (out of maybe 10 previous trips). Prior largest was a 71# (not mine though) My largest was a 42#. Wife had caught a 52# in 2009.
    Also to clarify the situation- My wife & I DID NOT book with this charter service. We purchased a package deal that included one day of halibut fishing & AFISHHUNT was the provider of the halibut charter.
    Your last line speaks volumes. I never have (and never will) book packages...just not worth the (dubious) savings. Talking to the charter/guide is key to me. Yeah, they can try to b.s. me, but at least I can call them on it if things go south. Hopefully, we can figure out before booking if what they offer is really what I'm looking for and save us both any potential trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by minnman View Post
    Your last line speaks volumes. I never have (and never will) book packages...just not worth the (dubious) savings. Talking to the charter/guide is key to me. Yeah, they can try to b.s. me, but at least I can call them on it if things go south. Hopefully, we can figure out before booking if what they offer is really what I'm looking for and save us both any potential trouble.
    It's hard to figure out sometimes just exactly what the person you talk to provides......"fly in's, bear viewing, halibut fishing, trout fishing, and salmon fishing." I've found that most who advertise all this provide very little of it and sub everything else out. I prefer to deal straight with the people who actually provide the service, not who they hire.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I'm just curious if boats are sitting on the 12lb patch, sorting through 20-30 halibut a day to get a few 18lb fish. That's got to be tough on the resource.
    What I find odd is how come the fish were SO LITTLE. My god. On our bad days out of Homer our "chicken patch" spots produce solid 20# fish all day long.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    What I find odd is how come the fish were SO LITTLE. My god. On our bad days out of Homer our "chicken patch" spots produce solid 20# fish all day long.
    Probably going out just past the kelp to the sand where nobody will loose any tackle to the bottom...lots of small fish out in the middle off of Deep Creek...IMO the big ones are closer to shore/kelp/river mouths.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Now golldangit - I have only tried 2 times, but have not got so much as a nibble out of anchor or deep creek. Maybe 10 hours fishing time.

and I keep hearing "halibut are everywhere out by deep creek....They are everywhere I tell ya".

I will try to anchor my dinghy this year and see what happens.

tcman,
    Yeah, that package stuff is behind me. The package trip last year was pretty good, with the exception of the halibut. But a short time after that (about 3 weeks) the outfitter we purchased the package through had major problems (they were hashed out on this forum last fall). That package trip (that included the halibut) I booked on my own without consulting anyone. Now the only planning I do as a 'package' is through the owner of the cabins where we stay. He has been REAL good about recommendations for my wife & I. Has not steered us wrong one time. I will probably continue to book single day adventures, but plan to do my homework on the outfitter / guide much better. That way I hopefully know what I am getting.

Well after reading this thread I guess its not going to get better chartering with the reduction in the charter fleet due to the permits. I can offer a thought here though. Try going to places like Seldovia to fish where there are a couple of guys left running 6 pax boats and will and do fish for the whole day and try there best every trip because there isn't that much work there and return business is what keeps you in business. Fritz Grace running the Alaskan Grace is a prime exsample of a great charter operation.

I am so saddened to hear all this negativity about Afishunt.
    My wife and I hooked up with the Baker's in the mid-90's and have had many many wonderful charters with John [owner] at the helm. He really knows his stuff whether Cook Inlet or Resurrection Bay. He has really nice boats and quality gear.
    He caters to my wife [who gets motion sick] picking the calmest spots and we have really caught a slew of fish.
    Look under Silver Salmon on his link [also attached below] ~ those silvers stacked like cord wood are from a trip with our friends during Aug '05.
    On another trip I told John I wanted a halibut over 100 pounds and he delivered ~ put me on a 103# flatty in Cook Inlet.
    I now have an excellent quality hat [from their operation] with the Afishunt logo on front and 100# Pacific Halibut Club on the back. Still looks great after many years of wear. OBTW their high quality shirts have worn just as well after many years too...
    We've always been happy with the great deal they've given us as military ~ he's retired military too.
    Now I've retired and we purchased our own boat. John has been very forthcoming with information to help get us set up to be the most successful fisherpersons possible. He doesn't have any obligation but I can't wait to meet up with him again and talk fishing. I consider him a friend for life.
    I have recommended Afishunt countless times [and will continue to] to important people close to me and they have thoroughly enjoyed their experience as well.

ss3.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast