Thread: Lower Fire Lake Pike

Default Lower Fire Lake Pike

Last weekend I went out to Fire Lake to check out the Pike fishing but there was very limited public access beach. Most of the lake shoreline is private property and it seems like someone would need a boat to get to the good fishing spots. Does anyone know about more public access areas around the lake?

The south side near the dam is the public access side. All along the road by the dam is a good public spot. Other than that you are mostly correct, the only other public spot is the island in the middle. I usually bring my canoe and throw the kids in it and run around the island and try for Pike. Horrible eating but good fighting. I have actually seen people in thoses Walmart inflatables fishing out there, deepest spot in some areas is 12', but I may be wrong.....

Default Bigums

A canoe would work great, thats what I use. If you get out to the shores on the other side of the lake you can catch bigums likes this one I caught a couple years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spanman
    The south side near the dam is the public access side. All along the road by the dam is a good public spot. Other than that you are mostly correct, the only other public spot is the island in the middle. I usually bring my canoe and throw the kids in it and run around the island and try for Pike. Horrible eating but good fighting. I have actually seen people in thoses Walmart inflatables fishing out there, deepest spot in some areas is 12', but I may be wrong.....
    HORRIBLE EATING?

...I LOVE pike... its wonderful fried. Course it was one of my favorites before moving from Wisconsin to Alaska.

If bones are the problem, they are EASILY fileted out. I hate eating bony filets. They AF&G have a great handout on how to filet the bones out of a pike. Once you learn this, you often change your mind on if they are good to eat.

Maybe its all in where you were raise? LOL

Other than that, we took the canoe out and didn't have any luck the other day. We also fished Cheney with several choices of lure to no avail.

i plan on rentinga a canoe from UAA and heading out there soon

i agree that they are pretty tasty to eat, go to the midwest and ask people if they like pike, in mn the limit is 3 a day, and you can catch as many burbot as you want, those are there garbage fish down there, it is the oposite up here

It's not like I don't like the taste, let me explain. The Pike out of FIRE LAKE taste like a mixture of ass and aviation fuel. The meat from the pike and rainbow I caught and fileted was mushy and horrible. I haven't gotten to Mirror yet but I hear there are good out of there.....

Talking Hey.. they are in Mirror???

I could understand that... thanks for telling me... Why bother if I can't eat them? In my opinion. I would rather let the fish not suffer and go kill the good stuf...haha...

anyways. I enjoy fishing on Mirror Lake from shore. We just bought a canoe from another member on here and have Mirror on thelist to explore.