Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 77

Thread: Be advised...

  1. #1

    Default Be advised...

    For those hunting with their kids, or anyone needing a Hunters Safety card: ADF&G will be checking for proof of Hunters Safety certification this year. So make sure you dig out those cards and take them with you. Good luck this season
    Bob

  2. #2
    Member TexasBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    144

    Default

    stupid question, is this the same as hunters ed cert
    I'm prolly out using my bow or 30-30

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasBoy View Post
    stupid question, is this the same as hunters ed cert
    Yes, I believe it's the same.

  4. #4
    Premium Member MarineHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,934

    Default

    It's pretty funny to me how this works. To hunt in most states, I need to show the Hunters Education Certificate I earned 36 years ago when I was ten years old in Cowley County Kansas. I can barely recall doing that. Since then, I have qualified expert in the USMC with pistol and rifle; handled and slept with military weapons of all sorts for hundreds of days in military training and in combat; hunted large without incident scores of times; etc ... But I can only hunt if I show that my certificate of what I barely can recall doing and learning when I was ten. Of course, my daddy taught me 1,000 times more about gun safety than I learned in four hours in south central Kansas 36 years ago. If the point of the requirement is awareness of, and compliance with, gun safety principles, it's interesting that military training and combat service can't overcome a lack of a hunters education certificate. Similarly, though I am not one, a 20-yr SWAT-team veteran could not hunt without a hunters ed. cert. Even if I had no objective formal training and experience, which really doesn't matter, I could not possibly be more or less safe in hunting based on some four-hour lecture I went through in Cowley County Kansas 36 years ago when I was ten. Just my opinion.

  5. #5

    Default

    Thanks for the tip!

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    It's pretty funny to me how this works. To hunt in most states, I need to show the Hunters Education Certificate I earned 36 years ago when I was ten years old in Cowley County Kansas. I can barely recall doing that. Since then, I have qualified expert in the USMC with pistol and rifle; handled and slept with military weapons of all sorts for hundreds of days in military training and in combat; hunted large without incident scores of times; etc ... But I can only hunt if I show that my certificate of what I barely can recall doing and learning when I was ten. Of course, my daddy taught me 1,000 times more about gun safety than I learned in four hours in south central Kansas 36 years ago. If the point of the requirement is awareness of, and compliance with, gun safety principles, it's interesting that military training and combat service can't overcome a lack of a hunters education certificate. Similarly, though I am not one, a 20-yr SWAT-team veteran could not hunt without a hunters ed. cert. Even if I had no objective formal training and experience, which really doesn't matter, I could not possibly be more or less safe in hunting based on some four-hour lecture I went through in Cowley County Kansas 36 years ago when I was ten. Just my opinion.
    There are probably a good number of other programs that provide equal or better training than the Hunter Ed course. The problem is that someone would have to sit there and evaluate each and every one to determine if it met the minimum standards they have. They would spend tons of time/money evaluating all the different "certification" methods people submit in place of hunter ed. In many cases, the determination of whether it qualified would be a bit ambiguous and thus not equitable. The hunter ed course is specifically geared toward hunting, the activity it makes you elegible for. It is clear and easy to use.

    FYI - While there are surely many people in the service that are far better trained than I and probably most with respect to firearms safety and use, there are also plenty who I wouldn't trust being within a mile of in the field during hunting season because, while they may be competent with a gun, they are not competent or safe when it comes to hunting. Just to clarify, this is not limited to people in the service, I am just using that because it was part of your example.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    For those hunting with their kids, or anyone needing a Hunters Safety card: ADF&G will be checking for proof of Hunters Safety certification this year. So make sure you dig out those cards and take them with you. Good luck this season
    Bob
    Personally, I always assume I will be checked for any and all things required to hunt legally and prepare accordingly. Glad to see they will be enforcing the rules on the books.

    It is a good reminder though. Easy to get complacent about carrying some of those things if they haven't been looking for it much, if at all in the past.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    For those hunting with their kids, or anyone needing a Hunters Safety card: ADF&G will be checking for proof of Hunters Safety certification this year. So make sure you dig out those cards and take them with you. Good luck this season
    Bob
    I assume you mean the troopers, not ADFG?

  9. #9
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    For those hunting with their kids, or anyone needing a Hunters Safety card: ADF&G will be checking for proof of Hunters Safety certification this year. So make sure you dig out those cards and take them with you. Good luck this season
    Bob
    Hmmmmm.....that interesting. I have always believed that it was the people selling the licence that had the responsibility of needing to see the card before issuing the licence. But apparently that's not the case anymore. I've never bought a license online so I don't know, but I would think that even then, when seeing the age of the applicant, that there would be a system of needing proof of hunter's ed before selling the license. Guess not......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  10. #10
    Member AK Troutbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak, AK.
    Posts
    1,523

    Default

    Off topic, but I went bird hunting in Kansas about 10 years ago and when I was purchasing my hunting license on line, it asked for my hunter ed card #. I just randomly through in some #'s and got my hunting license. I was never checked in the field, but I wonder how or if they would even notice or investigate it's validity.

  11. #11
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    I just randomly through in some #'s and got my hunting license.
    That's surprising as I would think those card numbers would be in a database somewhere. Kinda like when you put in a bogus credit card number and it says "not valid".....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  12. #12
    Supporting Member Hoyt-Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Mat-Su Valley
    Posts
    449

    Default

    No computers around for that purpose when I got my card.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

  13. #13
    Member highestview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Haines
    Posts
    1,308

    Default

    Where did you get this information?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

  14. #14
    Member Redlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Now in Anchorage
    Posts
    391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    That's surprising as I would think those card numbers would be in a database somewhere. Kinda like when you put in a bogus credit card number and it says "not valid".....
    Really?!?! You think there is some master database of that sort? You can barely read mine. I doubt TPWD could even spell database when I took my class, much less share it with every Wildlife Department in the nation.

  15. #15
    Member 0321Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sterling, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,706

    Default

    Last year in Missouri on my goose hunt we were checked for licenses and they asked for the hunter ed card, glad I had it with me.

  16. #16
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redlander View Post
    Really?!?! You think there is some master database of that sort?
    Of course not for those of us that took it a hundred years ago....lol, but for the "younguns" required to have them now. I had to take mine again to hunt elk in CO. back in 97'. They didn't have any info anywhere from when I took mine back in the 60's......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  17. #17
    Member BluNosDav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    448

    Default

    From the ADF&G web-site:

    Hunter Education is required for hunters born AFTER January 1, 1986 who intend to hunt in Units 7, 13-15, and 20. The following apply:
    • If you were born after January 1, 1986 and are 16 years old or older, you must have successfully completed a certified Basic Hunter Education course.
    • If you were born after January 1, 1986 and are under 16 years old, you must have:
      1. successfully completed a certified Basic Hunter Education course ľOR-
      2. hunt under the direct immediate supervision of a licensed hunter who is either:
        1. 16 years old or older and has successfully completed a certified Hunter Education course OR
        2. born on or before January 1, 1986.

    In addition, Hunter Education certification is required before anyone may legally hunt in the following areas in Alaska: a) the Anchorage Coastal Wildlife Refuge, b) The Eagle River Management Area (14C for black bear and small game), c) the Palmer/Wasilla Management Area (shotgun for big game), d) The Mendenhall Wetlands near Juneau, except hunters under 10 who are not certified can hunt as long as they are under the direct supervision of an adult who is certified.
    The Basic Hunter Education certificate is valid in any state where hunter education is required to purchase a license.

    Alaska doesn't seem to have a simple universal standard? Over 16-year-olds need it, but, only in certain GMU's. While under 16-year-olds don't need it, as long as their supervising licenced hunter has it, or was born before 1986.

    Curious, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    It's pretty funny to me how this works. To hunt in most states, I need to show the Hunters Education Certificate I earned 36 years ago when I was ten years old in Cowley County Kansas. I can barely recall doing that. Since then, I have qualified expert in the USMC with pistol and rifle; handled and slept with military weapons of all sorts for hundreds of days in military training and in combat; hunted large without incident scores of times; etc ... But I can only hunt if I show that my certificate of what I barely can recall doing and learning when I was ten. Of course, my daddy taught me 1,000 times more about gun safety than I learned in four hours in south central Kansas 36 years ago. If the point of the requirement is awareness of, and compliance with, gun safety principles, it's interesting that military training and combat service can't overcome a lack of a hunters education certificate. Similarly, though I am not one, a 20-yr SWAT-team veteran could not hunt without a hunters ed. cert. Even if I had no objective formal training and experience, which really doesn't matter, I could not possibly be more or less safe in hunting based on some four-hour lecture I went through in Cowley County Kansas 36 years ago when I was ten. Just my opinion.
    With no intention of disrespecting you or your service, it always floors me how GI's and former GI's think that their military service should let them skate the laws. It REALLY floors me how often it works. (I feel the same way about police officers, too.) While I agree, the class you took as a kid is probably not terribly relevant today, there is a LOT of stuff covered in Hunter Ed that is not covered and not learned in military basic training or in Afghanistan. The importance and effectiveness of hunter orange (completely contradictory to what I learned in basic training), hunting ethics, and after the shot game&meat care are just a few examples that come to mind. Hunter ed is a lot more than just how not to accidentally shoot yourself.

    PS: I agree that it is kind of silly that those born prior to 1986 are exempt. I wonder what crazy justification they came up with for that.

  19. #19
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,190

    Default

    I'm hoping they make the course harder, test longer, and the shooting requirements tougher. Then I hope they really ramp up the enforcement. The more kids we keep out of hunting the more game for me!!!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  20. #20
    Supporting Member Hoyt-Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Mat-Su Valley
    Posts
    449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    With no intention of disrespecting you or your service, it always floors me how GI's and former GI's think that their military service should let them skate the laws. It REALLY floors me how often it works. (I feel the same way about police officers, too.) While I agree, the class you took as a kid is probably not terribly relevant today, there is a LOT of stuff covered in Hunter Ed that is not covered and not learned in military basic training or in Afghanistan. The importance and effectiveness of hunter orange (completely contradictory to what I learned in basic training), hunting ethics, and after the shot game&meat care are just a few examples that come to mind. Hunter ed is a lot more than just how not to accidentally shoot yourself.

    PS: I agree that it is kind of silly that those born prior to 1986 are exempt. I wonder what crazy justification they came up with for that.
    It always floors me how you and the likes have the audacity to shoot off your mouth and not give credit to those that gave you that right.

    Oh, by the way, no disrespect intended.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •