Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grouse?

Default Grouse?

What do you think about the grouse population this season on the KP? Looking like better numbers? Happy Hunting.(tomorrow)

Haven't seen any out on the roads or trails where I used to see plenty. Had one out on my property recently. Seems like we are still on the bottom of the curve. I'd go for those feral pheasants if I lived down there.

I haven't seen any in my normal after work dog walking areas, been several years now since I've seen decent numbers of birds.

I havent seen as many as usual either.
    But time will tell as the season progresses and hunters get out in the woods after them.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Spent a couple days in the Delta area last week and found very few birds. Telling was the noticeable lack of Hawks, as well. Did encounter a little female Coyote that was hot on the tail of my Brittany!

I had good luck in the Delta Junction area Thursady evening. I bagged 2 and got some point and release action on 3 more. All spruce.

We were targeting Ruffed and Sharptails.

Quote Originally Posted by labdad View Post
    We were targeting Ruffed and Sharptails.
    Ah, I live in anchorage so! I'll take what I can get. We don't have many ruffed or sharp tails around here! The dogs went on point so I owe them a shot unless we are playing point and release!

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I havent seen as many as usual either.
    But time will tell as the season progresses and hunters get out in the woods after them.
    I have been up and down Swanson R. Road about a dozen times in the past month, and haven't seen a one. Not on the trails either. Highly unusual to not see at least an individual. They must really be on the low point of the cycle I guess.

Used to be you couldn't chuck a rock around Homer without hitting a spruce hen....then the beetlekill happened, and I hardly see them anymore (no idea if there's a correlation, but anecdotes are fun )....ran into a couple over the last few nights in the Fritz Creek drainage....think I will lump them with razor clams in the "leave alone until better numbers" category....
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Used to be you couldn't chuck a rock around Homer without hitting a spruce hen....then the beetlekill happened, and I hardly see them anymore (no idea if there's a correlation, but anecdotes are fun )....ran into a couple over the last few nights in the Fritz Creek drainage....think I will lump them with razor clams in the "leave alone until better numbers" category....
    Kudos. Good policy.

I took the dog for a stroll in another area tonight that was full of berries, blue and cranberries of both types. No birds to be had. We didn't go far cause momma is about to pop but I was disappointed to not see at least one bird in all those berries!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first trip out on opening day in South Central and we flushed 40-50. One trip doesn't really say much overall but I am pretty optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    ...I hardly see them anymore ....think I will lump them with razor clams in the "leave alone until better numbers" category....
    Makes me wonder if they didn't fall prey to the roving, kill-any-living-thing camo bands we heard about a while back.
    LuJon, glad to hear they are still in big quantities farther north.
    I was remarking to my son just yesterday as we hiked a SRR trail, that I missed the glory days of rounding a corner and seeing a group of 5-10 birds to choose from. It was always fun and easy table fare until snowfall. Love cranberry fed grouse in the pot.

My trick.......early AM (as in first light) drive slowly along the road. They are gobbling gravel for their craw. Flush them off the road shoulder and into the woods. Harvest (Two) with .22 Rim Fire. Go back to the cabin & drink more coffee.........and ponder my option of freezing to death this coming winter, or splitting more wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Armymark View Post
    Ah, I live in anchorage so! I'll take what I can get. We don't have many ruffed or sharp tails around here! The dogs went on point so I owe them a shot unless we are playing point and release!
    Ruffies are closer than you think. Last week I got two ruffies and a couple spruce in the same area within 40 miles of Anchorage. This week I came across a group of 15 ruffs and 15-20 spruce in an area 60 miles from Anchorage. I guess I should feel lucky by the sounds of things.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Ruffies are closer than you think. Last week I got two ruffies and a couple spruce in the same area within 40 miles of Anchorage. This week I came across a group of 15 ruffs and 15-20 spruce in an area 60 miles from Anchorage. I guess I should feel lucky by the sounds of things.
    It ain't for a lack of trying. I found some sharp tail(3) down on the Kenai area last year. I started Grouse hunting about two years ago and I still have lot's to learn and I'm finding more places to hunt all the time.

Armymark,

Sharp-tailed grouse on the Kenai? Are you certain? That would be big news. Huge news.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    Armymark,

Sharp-tailed grouse on the Kenai? Are you certain? That would be big news. Huge news.
    Yes it would be. The transplants died off I heard.

Well as I said I'm no expert but, if it has a long feathers in the middle of the tail longer than the rest, I assumed that would be a sharp tail. Rigby found them on the side of a hill in a mix of smallish birch and spruce. Not exactly where I usually find spruce grouse. I assumed that they were sharp tail. I'm not certain of anything except they were different than all the spruce hens I have gotten which tend to be darker in color and the tails were surely different.

If they were sharp tail, it appears I killed the last three on the peninsula!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast