Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worms in salmon

Default Worms in salmon

Was soaking a fillet in salt water when the wife saw a worm in water.

You'll have that.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

normal, still kinda seems gross but very normal in fish.

Yup reds can have worms, but fortunately they seem to be confined to the gut cavity for the most part. But (and I'll stir this pot one more time for fun) I never,never have sockeye sushi.

Quote Originally Posted by Onewhohunts View Post
    Was soaking a fillet in salt water when the wife saw a worm in water.
    Cool story bro.

Just kidding.

Salmon have worms in them, usually only in the guts/stomache; round worms usually I think. I've never seen a large worm in a salmon filet. Out of all the fish I've eaten, Lingcod seems to be the wormiest. I've found fairly large worms in lingcod filets...while eating it nonetheless!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    Cool story bro.

Just kidding.

Salmon have worms in them, usually only in the guts/stomache; round worms usually I think. I've never seen a large worm in a salmon filet. Out of all the fish I've eaten, Lingcod seems to be the wormiest. I've found fairly large worms in lingcod filets...while eating it nonetheless!
    Make no mistake about it, salmon have worms in their flesh as well. Cook to an internal temp of 135 or freeze the fillet for a month or so to kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Make no mistake about it, salmon have worms in their flesh as well. Cook to an internal temp of 135 or freeze the fillet for a month or so to kill them.
    Yeah I never eat raw salmon, and always cook it thoroughly. I laugh everytime my friend catches a King salmon and makes fresh 'sashimi' by just putting a little lemon juice and soy sauce on it that he says 'cooks it'. He's going to be regretting it the day he gets sick.

Raw? Maybe if a person shaved super thin slices and froze them for a week or so. Nope lemon or lime juice ain't gonna do it.

Default Smoked Worms

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    ...Salmon have worms in them, usually only in the guts/stomache; round worms usually I think. I've never seen a large worm in a salmon filet. Out of all the fish I've eaten, Lingcod seems to be the wormiest. I've found fairly large worms in lingcod filets...while eating it nonetheless!
    I've only seen the small, about an inch long, worms in a salmon fillet...I, like some others here, prefer to eat them well done, not raw. Though I wonder if cooking them till well done will ( hopefully ) kill the worm eggs they may have? There were some of these small worms in the flesh of the Fish Creek reds, (no large ones in the intestines that I noticed) some came out of the flesh after being in the brine for 12 hours before smoking, others didn't come out till they got hot/cooked in the smoker, and a few that stayed in the flesh for the entire process, yes they looked well done...yummy smoked worms.
    Looked like these kind of worms.
    anisakis.jpg
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    I've only seen the small, about an inch long, worms in a salmon fillet...I, like some others here, prefer to eat them well done, not raw. Though I wonder if cooking them till well done will ( hopefully ) kill the worm eggs they may have? There were some of these small worms in the flesh of the Fish Creek reds, (no large ones in the intestines that I noticed) some came out of the flesh after being in the brine for 12 hours before smoking, others didn't come out till they got hot/cooked in the smoker, and a few that stayed in the flesh for the entire process, yes they looked well done...yummy smoked worms.
    Looked like these kind of worms.
    anisakis.jpg
    Yup, that's them! Cooking the fish until the inside temp of the flesh is at least 135 F will kill them. I always go to at least 150 just to be sure.

After doing a little research...if you don't like the looks of these worms in your fish fillets, they say that it's best to clean your fish right away, before the worms can migrate into the flesh. Frostbitten is correct, cooking the fish to a certain degree will kill them.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Contrary to popular belief, the anisakis parasite does not migrate from the gut to the flesh when a fish dies. The fact is, some live in the gut, some live in the flesh.

The long squiggly mass of worms often found in the gut cavity of sockeyes (and other salmon) are a completely different parasite.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Cook to 145 F.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
    Cook to 145 F.
    Even better!!!

...they say that it's best to clean your fish right away, before the worms can migrate into the flesh...
    Well, I read it may prevent some of the worms from migrating, found two different links that mentioned this. At any rate, it doesn't sound very pleasant to harbor 'any' kind of worms in your gut.

http://www.wikihow.com/Prevent-Anisa...asites-in-Fish

http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/51/7/806.long
    "Grin and Bear It"

Sooooo......no more bank side salmon like the idiot in the picture?....oops that idiot's me and was only goofing off. I washed my mouth out with river water right after that! heh, heh.

I'm very careful and follow the recommended procedures for safe seafood consumption. The P-Cod we catch are extra wormy in the gut and gills especially in the bigger ones.

Too many more Alaska trips in my future to be eatin' parasites intentionally.

But I do enjoy rolling up my own.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy View Post
    Sooooo......no more bank side salmon like the idiot in the picture?....oops that idiot's me and was only goofing off. I washed my mouth out with river water right after that! heh, heh.

I'm very careful and follow the recommended procedures for safe seafood consumption. The P-Cod we catch are extra wormy in the gut and gills especially in the bigger ones.

Too many more Alaska trips in my future to be eatin' parasites intentionally.

But I do enjoy rolling up my own.
    I rinsed my mouth out with river water once (never again) didn't even drink any...and got the beaver fever so bad that I couldn't function for a couple days, just had to lay there in misery.
    "Grin and Bear It"

I rinsed my mouth out with river water once (never again) didn't even drink any...and got the beaver fever so bad that I couldn't function for a couple days, just had to lay there in misery.

The "heh heh" and laughing smiley after that was supposed to be my lame attempt at sarcastic humor....

After mouthing the Coho back gently, I spit the slime out and rinsed with Diet Mt. Dew and spit a few more times. No adverse reaction. I suppose had I been a drinker - a shot of 80 proof or stronger with a rinse, spit, swallow the second shot might have been a better solution. Come to think of it ... I maybe should have done that anyway just as a "medicinal precautionary dose" ... or two.

I can relate to 'beaver fever" though. Got it back in the mid - to late 90's from my sailboat racing days. I had an MX-Ray - fastest single handed monohull back then that threw me off and I must have swallowed a few drops or got them up my nose. WHOA! that's some BAD SH-T! literally.

Extry careful now around freshwater fishing.

Steve

To the best of my knowledge I've yet to get parasites from sushi, sashimi or poke I've made using sockeye salmon and I've been doing so for years. I always use fish that has been hard frozen for at least a month.

I've found sockeye to work very well for any dish that you'd typically make with raw tuna, or partially cooked tuna.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I've been making king sushi for ten years and have rarely encountered a worm.....if at all but my memory stinks. Sockeyes on the other hand.....um, yeah. They look great in sushi but with all my fish I freeze them hard before the sashimi comes out. I even did arctic char when I was in DLG......it was fantastic, but as they don't preserve well, I left the fish gutted in my shed at below zero temps for about 6 days, thawed til I could get a good fillet, then cut it up and ate it.....

The amount of worminess in fish seems to vary by area and species. My early season cod here in JNU are great, same for rockfish and butts, later in the season I seem to notice more, especially in the rockfish and cod. Kings have all been clean.

rarely in a sushi restaurant are you served truly "fresh" fish. At least where me and the rest of the bridge and tunnel crowd can afford to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast