Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrimp Shipping Sticker Shock

Default Shrimp Shipping Sticker Shock

My brother in Maine and sister in Oregon really wanted some Alaska shrimp so away I go to 10th and M to get the smallest shipping box available. $12 each. Put about 100 triple glazed jumbos in each and then off to Fedex. Shipping to OR. was $73..to Me., it was $77 The Maine box arrived still frozen, but the Oregon box got lost and was delivered 20 hours late. They were thawed but she said they were still cold to the touch and went straight into her freezer, so I expect they are fine. Being the consumate cheapskate, I suffered acute sticker shock at the cost of the exercise. Fedex said they would refund me for the late delivery so that made it much better. Hope they enjoy them!

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    My brother in Maine and sister in Oregon really wanted some Alaska shrimp so away I go to 10th and M to get the smallest shipping box available. $12 each. Put about 100 triple glazed jumbos in each and then off to Fedex. Shipping to OR. was $73..to Me., it was $77 The Maine box arrived still frozen, but the Oregon box got lost and was delivered 20 hours late. They were thawed but she said they were still cold to the touch and went straight into her freezer, so I expect they are fine. Being the consumate cheapskate, I suffered acute sticker shock at the cost of the exercise. Fedex said they would refund me for the late delivery so that made it much better. Hope they enjoy them!
    I wonder what the post office would of charged for overnight shipping ??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Usps overnight from AK takes two days most of the time.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I've taken the risk and sent fish USPS overnight to MN and it actually got there just fine. Wrap it in newspapper and toss in a couple gel packs......
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    I've taken the risk and sent fish USPS overnight to MN and it actually got there just fine. Wrap it in newspapper and toss in a couple gel packs......
    Just freeze a couple of the fish and you don't have to pay to ship the gelpacks(they don't grill well !).

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

My sister posted some pics on Facebook of some she prepared today...butterflied, stuffed with cream cheese and diced jalapeno and wrapped in bacon and baked in a perforated sheet so they would drain while cooking. They looked great. She seemed pretty pumped about the whole thing so I'm happy about that. Will surely consider the other shipping suggestions for future reference. Kind of off the wall expensive for not all that many shrimp, but still more exciting than another gift card for her birthday.

With all of those ingredients added to the shrimp recipe you could have send her some from the Gulf (of Texas)!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    With all of those ingredients added to the shrimp recipe you could have send her some from the Gulf (of Texas)!
    No kidding...I like to fix them so I have a shot at tasting the shrimp. Reminds me of the "How to plan a salmon joke" Soak cedar plank for 24 hrs. Place well seasoned or marinated salmon smothered in onions and multi colored diced bell peppers on plank and cook on a covered grill until done. Remove from grill...discard salmon...eat plank.

Anyone who wants to take home shrimp or have me ship them out have to take a solemn oath to either steam or grill the shrimp, with no added ingredients other than a very small dab of horshradishy cocktail sauce on the steamers, and maybe a little dip of butter on the grilled ones. If I hear of any casseroles being made I cut them off!

All ya need is some Old Bay seasoning and boiling water, throw in the bugs a dozen at a time into boiling water, let them cook 2-3 minutes or until they float then pull'em out and into a bowl of ice water to quickly stop them from cooking more and getting chewy. All done.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I recently had to move back to Maine for a few years for work, so I had my parents pick up a chest freezer and I filled up 4 freezer boxes full of shrimp and halibut and ship them overnight. For 216 lbs, it cost around $250 dollars (twice as much as it use to be just a few years back when I lived on Kodiak, but still not bad if you consider halibut is around $24 a pound and shrimp $12 a pound down this way, and not AK shrimp either), sent it 2 day FedEx- get an account with them and its a bit cheaper. I have sent shrimp a couple times to East coast this way, with never an issue- I stuff as many shrimp in a juice bottle and then top with water, shaking it to get all the air bubbles out. Freeze them solid- never had the thaw in the couple day transit.
    ~Beer Drinkin don't do half the harm of love makin~. Old New England Proverb
    * 1991 24' Almar Jetline Cabin-cruiser * 2004 16' Lund * 1955 17' Grumman Canoe
    - MMSI# 338169948

Quote Originally Posted by MUTTLEY View Post
    I recently had to move back to Maine for a few years for work, so I had my parents pick up a chest freezer and I filled up 4 freezer boxes full of shrimp and halibut and ship them overnight. For 216 lbs, it cost around $250 dollars (twice as much as it use to be just a few years back when I lived on Kodiak, but still not bad if you consider halibut is around $24 a pound and shrimp $12 a pound down this way, and not AK shrimp either), sent it 2 day FedEx- get an account with them and its a bit cheaper. I have sent shrimp a couple times to East coast this way, with never an issue- I stuff as many shrimp in a juice bottle and then top with water, shaking it to get all the air bubbles out. Freeze them solid- never had the thaw in the couple day transit.
    At just over a buck a pound i think somebody made a BIG mistake ????

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Well, just sharing the best deal I've come across in shipping fish- if say 100lbs was shrimp, and its $12 a pound ($1,200), which leaves the remainder of 116lbs as halibut, which is $24 a pound (cost me $2,784)... So I spent $250 on what would cost me $3,984 down here... I wouldn't say that's a big mistake, but I've never been great with numbers. Plus I know where they came from, they were handled correctly and I can still just walk to the freezer this next year until I get back up north next year- think it works out nicely. Would I prefer to get fresh every week and stay in AK, of course, but, have to go where work sends me for a few more years.
    - MMSI# 338169948

Mutt,
    I think Potbuilder is saying your shipping was extremely cheap and someone at Fed-Ex made a mistake.
    I agree with Potbuilder, I have yet to find a deal like that in shipping frozen game back to America.

BK

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    At just over a buck a pound i think somebody made a BIG mistake ????

I'm confused; are you saying that's an unreasonable price? I don't think $1/lb is very unreasonable; seeing as how you're shipping frozen seafood across the entire country with 2-day airmail. Especially considering that the same seafood bought in Maine would have cost a fortune. Seems like a bargain to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Mutt,
    I think Potbuilder is saying your shipping was extremely cheap and someone at Fed-Ex made a mistake.
    I agree with Potbuilder, I have yet to find a deal like that in shipping frozen game back to America.

BK
    exactly !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    I'm confused; are you saying that's an unreasonable price? I don't think $1/lb is very unreasonable; seeing as how you're shipping frozen seafood across the entire country with 2-day airmail. Especially considering that the same seafood bought in Maine would have cost a fortune. Seems like a bargain to me.
    I'm saying somebody at the freight office made a huge mistake on the shipping rate !! Ya can't mail a t shirt by post office for a buck a pound.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Seems like the last time I sent a 50# box back to Montana it was something in the $200 range for overnight FedX. Give or take some money.

Make a FedEx account- we have been shipping Xmas gifts for years this way also. You just measure the boxes dimensions and weight it at home(we always go to the next whole number) and pay online, print the label and bring it down to the local shipping company. They verify numbers and out you walk. We get an additional discount through our bank, so there are deals out there, just have to look for them.
    - MMSI# 338169948

He is using 2 day air not next day. Makes a huge difference in price. Having an account greatly helps in the price too as he stated.

Fed Ex has a nice shipping calculator on their webpage. I quickly put in a 50lb box from Anchorage to Portland, Maine in a two foot cube and it ranged from $350 next day at 8am to $100 for 2nd day air.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast