Thread: New to hunting and Alaska

Default New to hunting and Alaska

This season will be my first in Alaska and in life. We will be hunting out of Petersville in 16A for about 10 days. I didn't draw anything but am excited for the adventure, experience, and memories. But a few question I gotta ask for some advice:

Is it worth having the harvest tickets for black bear, moose, caribou, and sheep? And what is the likelyhood of a sheep or caribou in the area.

I can't afford all the high tech scent blocking clothing this year and was wondering if a spray on scent blocker is worth it or a waste?

Any other advice y'all can shoot my way I appreciate and thank you in advance!

Don't bother with the caribou or sheep tags, IMO. There's basically only one spot in 16 where caribou sometimes show up and it's not close to peters ville. Search this forum for a thread about it, I asked a while back about it. As for sheep, you won't find them in the same turf as moose. I'd focus on moose and bring a black bear tag with and a grizzly tag too. Petersville has bears around. It takes decades to find a spot where you could hunt that diverse of a range of species. I'd highly recommend you focus on moose, of which, black bear has a reasonable chance of being around for the take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Also, the hell with scent blocker. Spend the money on extra gas instead.

Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Also, the hell with scent blocker. Spend the money on extra gas instead.

yep agreed everyone that hunts petersville goes thru a lot of gas. Probably could hunt in slippers as well. Just pick a spot and let everyone 4 wheel circles around you