Thread: Wallas Stove

Default Wallas Stove

My Wallas two burner stove/furnace, 85DU/270, won't start. have cheecked both 15 and 2 amp fuses. Plenty of battery. I have toggled the switch back and forth and sprayed switch contacts with cleaner. I truely suspect switch itself but neglected to take volt meter last trip to Seward. What is opinion of Wallas users, has anyone had switch problems and how do I jump the switch to see if it will start? I am no electronics man. Good at changing light bulbs and checking fuses!

Has it locked out? The stove will do this if it tries to lite several times and does not. If so read the factory paperwork you have to pull the fuse remove all power and let it reset it self. There is a sequence on how to get it started again.

What do you mean by "locked out" and what is the cause?

Quote Originally Posted by sport drifter View Post
    Has it locked out? The stove will do this if it tries to lite several times and does not. If so read the factory paperwork you have to pull the fuse remove all power and let it reset it self. There is a sequence on how to get it started again.
    Do what Sport Drifter said. The only way to reset the stove is to pull the fuse for a few seconds. This will erase the fault condition and you will start fresh. If not, and it won't start, jumping the switch won't help (unless it really is the switch - doubt it) and it will likely have to go to SCAN Marine in Seattle for a rebuild and cleaning. Can you give us a detailed description of what it does when you attempt to start it?

Buddy of mine was having problems and sent it in for repair. They couldn't find anything wrong so sent it back to him along with a hefty bill. He fiddled around with it some more and turns out the problem was the switch. So if you send in the stove also send in the switch.

There is no responce when switch is triggered. No light and no sound from pump.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Buddy of mine was having problems and sent it in for repair. They couldn't find anything wrong so sent it back to him along with a hefty bill. He fiddled around with it some more and turns out the problem was the switch. So if you send in the stove also send in the switch.
    Sounds like bad switch in mine, also. Scan Marine has switch for $100+. I need to determine if power getting to switch.

Quote Originally Posted by leveen View Post
    There is no responce when switch is triggered. No light and no sound from pump.

It could be the switch, but could be the board. I wonder if a bad rheostat could cause the inop?

I would try unplugging everything from the unit, could be a faulty connection. I believe both the power supply and switch plug into the stove. Spray with a bit of WD40 and work in and out a couple of times. If this salves the problem great, if it tries to start and fails make sure you hear the thumping of the fuel pump. If the pump thumps and the stove fails to start could be that the fuel line connection at the stove is not tight, or the fuel line pickup is not at the bottom of the tank or the pump is bad.

If you can't figure it out call Scan Marine and they will walk you through trouble shooting.

Good luck!
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    I would try unplugging everything from the unit, could be a faulty connection. I believe both the power supply and switch plug into the stove. Spray with a bit of WD40 and work in and out a couple of times. If this salves the problem great, if it tries to start and fails make sure you hear the thumping of the fuel pump. If the pump thumps and the stove fails to start could be that the fuel line connection at the stove is not tight, or the fuel line pickup is not at the bottom of the tank or the pump is bad.

If you can't figure it out call Scan Marine and they will walk you through trouble shooting.

Good luck!
    You all have been a big help. Thanks. Love this boating forum. Can't wait to squeeze under cabinet!

Buddy of mine has one on his boat and his would not start. It would cycle through startup, black smoke wafting out and then it would shut down. Gave him can of Seafoam to dump in his diesel tank and with several cycles it still would not start. My guess was carboned-up combustion chamber preventing clean startup. He pulled his out and brought it back to town for repair. Not sure if they will burn kerosene, that is what I use in my ESPAR and have not had problems.

To unlock a locked out Wallas, turn the switch on (nothing happens), pull the fuze and wait about a minute, reinsert fuze and the stove should come on and shut down, turn the switch off and then try restarting it. If this doesn't work, you have other issues, but try the unlocking method before you pull it or take it to a shop.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Wallas needs at least 13 volts to start, will run on 12 after startup.
    I always start it with the engine running, then I can turn off the motor.
    I can't come to bed right now honey - somebody on the internet is wrong.

When you believe in things you don't understand, then you suffer . . . " - Stevie Wonder

Quote Originally Posted by leveen View Post
    My Wallas two burner stove/furnace, 85DU/270, won't start. have cheecked both 15 and 2 amp fuses. Plenty of battery. I have toggled the switch back and forth and sprayed switch contacts with cleaner. I truely suspect switch itself but neglected to take volt meter last trip to Seward. What is opinion of Wallas users, has anyone had switch problems and how do I jump the switch to see if it will start? I am no electronics man. Good at changing light bulbs and checking fuses!
    Just to let everyone know. A faulty switch (referred to by Scan Marine as second control board) was the problem. Replaced 10 year old and she fired right up.

Quote Originally Posted by fishbob View Post
    Wallas needs at least 13 volts to start, will run on 12 after startup.
    I always start it with the engine running, then I can turn off the motor.
    My manual says it may not start if voltage is below 10.7. Where do you see that at least 13 is needed? I think that even with a fully charged battery you will see only around 12.6 volts.