Thread: Garmin 178c depth reading stopped working

Default Garmin 178c depth reading stopped working

So we were down to Valdez this week and my depth readings stopped working . The GPS functions were fine but depth and fish finding went to crap. Happened about the time I needed to get around Bligh reef..
    Does this sound like a transducer problem (Airmar) or something even more expensive?? I really can't afford a new unit this season but a transducer isn't out of reach. Thoughts anyone??

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Can't help other than to say that the gps portion of my Garmin combo unit went t/u on me last trip out. It fires up just fine, but can't lock on a single satellite. The sounder portion works fine.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I suggest you two get together and switch units if the problem you have stays with the unit the unit is bad if not it may be a bad antenna or transducer.

This unit I think is about 7 years old. Would anyone on here have an extra transducer you would sell to me or let me use it Monday in Seward? We got 1 silver in Valdez and I am trying to get us and my parents some fish before they head home Wednesday.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I had the exact same thing happen on an older Garmin 182c...sonar went TU, GPS worked fine. It's certainly worth a try to swap out transducers. The issue with mine turned out to be internal, and Garmin no longer supported that model, so I had to replace the entire unit.

I just looked up some FAQs on Garmin and they suggested checking if the transducer is clicking, mine is. Not sure at this point what I can do. I am not seeing any further testing info online.

:R