Thread: Replacing a Carlisle oar handle

Default Replacing a Carlisle oar handle

I've got a backup oar with a broken handle, as shown below. It seems that Carlisle does not sell replacement handles, so I'm left with trying to figure out how to repair this oar without flat out replacing it.

IMAG0609_zps4ff3eba5.jpg

Does anyone have any experience in fixing a broken handle like this? Or ideas so crazy they just might work?

Someone with a lathe should be able to turn you a new handle.
    Is it a wood handle?
    A local machine shop coul likely turn you one our of plastic or aluminum.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Turn or have one turned on a lathe and glue it on there. You could even hockey tape it up the way it is or extend it with a plug and then hockey tape so to fit your hand comfortably enough. It is a spare so it doesn't have to be perfect, just definitely functional.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Thanks for the suggestions. It's a plastic handle and is built into the oar. I'll check out what a local shop can turn for me, but I'm afraid that option may be almost as expensive as buying a new oar. Guess I won't know until I check it out though.

Quote Originally Posted by ChugiakTinkerer View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. It's a plastic handle and is built into the oar. I'll check out what a local shop can turn for me, but I'm afraid that option may be almost as expensive as buying a new oar. Guess I won't know until I check it out though.
    It is unfortunate that replacement parts are not available.. I have two 10' oars in which the PO left outside for years. The outer fiberglass(?) coating is severely cracked. I had to buy two new ones.. I wrapped the the old ones with duct tape and now use them as backups..

Take it by Alaska Raft and Kayak and see if they can fit a replacement handle from another oar manufacturer onto it. Sawyer, for example, makes replacement handles as I recall. With any luck, could be a simple and affordable fix. Worst case, you might be able to pick up a used oar from them on the cheap.

Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Take it by Alaska Raft and Kayak and see if they can fit a replacement handle from another oar manufacturer onto it. Sawyer, for example, makes replacement handles as I recall. With any luck, could be a simple and affordable fix. Worst case, you might be able to pick up a used oar from them on the cheap.

Dan
    Yep, that's my plan.

I will try to get one loose from some carsile shafts. Lots around, as I use glass oars, but have some carlisles here. Will let you know.
    Goo

Thanks Goo! More than willing to buy your cast offs.

Thx
    Earle

Hey Mate- got the old oar out- be glad to give here to you. Maybe a heat gun may help-- or just cut and file and glue.
    Goo
    ALASKAWILDWATER
    sotar alaska@yahoo.com

Got lots of different lightly used carlisle shafts and parts, as well as some new glass oars.
    Goo

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    Hey Mate- got the old oar out- be glad to give here to you. Maybe a heat gun may help-- or just cut and file and glue.
    Goo
    ALASKAWILDWATER
    sotar alaska@yahoo.com
    PM sent.

The heat gun trick works pretty slick. One of my oars was stuck tight, but it yielded with the application of a heat gun and a couple of teenagers.