Thread: First Airboat

Default First Airboat

Well after months of lurking around the airboat forums and Southern Airboat and then taking a drive North to see Skip (which ended up resulting in an expensive trip!!), I'm now the new owner of an airboat. And as stated by everyone else, you really can't find a nicer and more knowledgable guy than Skip. Well worth the drive! Anyways, the boat is a 2009 20x8 Red River with a 5 man cab, moose picker, comms, 502 with a 2.67 reduction and a set of 4-80" Master Blasters. Took her out for her maiden voyage last night on the Knik and had a blast. Anytime your in the Knik area and don't mind a tag along, I'd love to follow and learn. Or if your in need of anything, give me a call. See you on the river.

Charles
    907-223-8733

Since I can't post pictures yet, here is a link to some of the boat...

http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/Cp...?sort=3&page=1

Nice ride....Skip is the MAN!
    I heard you bought Larry's props and ended up swapping out for a gear box.

Congrats on such a nice boat and welcome to the addiction!

Shoot me a PM if you want to discuss anything further....like hunting or what-not?!
    BK

Charles
    Could you tell the difference with the 2.67 and the master blaster.

Bk that sounds great, I will for sure! And Skip, the 2.67 and the new props seem to give it a lot more low end push. Didn't run a lot of dry ground with her but when we did it was a piece of cake. Getting the boat onto the trailer is something that will take practice! All I could think was "how did Skip make that look so easy."

Charles,
    Shoot me a PM and we'll get together.
    BK

You just got practice it takes time to learn thing and what to do and what not to do

If this is your first airboat, learning to read water is so different...you Want the skinny shallow stuff :-) They run best in just a few inches of water, which is so cool!!!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Be super careful. Things happen fast in a airboat. Don't let that power get away from you. Remember on blind corners on a creek or river, there is always somebody coming the other way and if both going fast, it is a disaster. Bud
    Wasilla

Yea, getting myself to run in the shallows takes some getting used to! It almost feels unnatural. It's a learning experience for sure, but it's so addicting.

Quote Originally Posted by cpot View Post
    Yea, getting myself to run in the shallows takes some getting used to! It almost feels unnatural. It's a learning experience for sure, but it's so addicting.
    xxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxx

"...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Ya[QUOTE=cpot;1416874]Yea, getting myself to run in the shallows takes some getting used to! It almost feels unnatural. It's a learning experience for sure, but it's so addicting.[/QUOTEUs
    congrats on the new boat
    You will get the feel from deep to skinny water .
    The more t-bars the better in the rocks
    You have a fine looking ride to slide in.
    If we can answer any questions
    look us up in the Texas area of SA

We drop by here to read the forms

Be Safe and have Fun .
    AkBlackDawg has got some good pointers!
    Happy Thanksgiving