Thread: Smaller canners for salmon

Default Smaller canners for salmon

I have a smaller pressure cooker canner for salmon I believe it is 15 quarts. It only holds 8 wide mouth pint jars. (Book says 9 but I'm guessing those aren't wide mouths) book also says USDA does not recommend this smaller pressure cooker for SMOKED fish since it heats up and cools off too fast. A friend of mine who is very knowledgeable about canning says th USDA basically frowns on all home canning of fish and there's nothing to worry about as long as I achieve and hold the recommends temp for the right time. I always go well overtime, like an extra 20-3O mins.

Some of the fish I canned this year is lightly smoked or a mix of smoked and fresh. Does anyone else use a smaller capacity canner?

Also I did not get my pressure gauge tests this year. I have both a dial gauge AND I put a weight on a nozzle so I thought the gauge is just for information and WEIGHT pressure cookers do not need to be checked ?

Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post
    I have a smaller pressure cooker canner for salmon I believe it is 15 quarts. It only holds 8 wide mouth pint jars. (Book says 9 but I'm guessing those aren't wide mouths) book also says USDA does not recommend this smaller pressure cooker for SMOKED fish since it heats up and cools off too fast. A friend of mine who is very knowledgeable about canning says th USDA basically frowns on all home canning of fish and there's nothing to worry about as long as I achieve and hold the recommends temp for the right time. I always go well overtime, like an extra 20-3O mins.

Some of the fish I canned this year is lightly smoked or a mix of smoked and fresh. Does anyone else use a smaller capacity canner?

Also I did not get my pressure gauge tests this year. I have both a dial gauge AND I put a weight on a nozzle so I thought the gauge is just for information and WEIGHT pressure cookers do not need to be checked ?
    If you only have a gauge then it needs to be checked(older canners). With a weight also you should be fine as the weight keeps things at the right pressure. As long as the weight is jiggling you should be fine.
    I don't see an issue with the smaller canner. My wife bought one at a garage sale for $10 and we used it this year in addition to our 2 full sized ones.We didn't can any smoked fish this year but I don't see it being an issue.
    I would call the cooperative extension service or stop in there and ask them. I believe they are located below fish and game on K beach.
    They deal with this stuff and are the ones who calibrate the gauges if you wanted it done.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"