Thread: Anchorage Area Beginner

Default Anchorage Area Beginner

Hi everybody. I'm in Anchorage and interested in getting into fly fishing for salmon and trout. I have a 9 weight fly rod and reel that I take to ship creek with a little success for silvers. I'd like to branch out a bit and get into some real fly fishing, not just drift setting. I'd appreciate advice from some of you local guys. I don't mind driving a bit for the salmon. Thanks in advance!

Drop by Mossy's Fly Shop and talk to Mike. He would be of great assistance I am certain.

http://www.mossysflyshop.com

Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I know you don't want to hear this, but: I'd consider getting another rod. Your 9 wt will continue to be great for salmon, but it is too much rod for trout fishing, and that's where the fly fishing gets a LOT more fun than spinner fishing. Get a 4 or 5 wt setup, and you will have a ball fishing for grayling, dollies, and rainbows. Remember, there is NOTHING wrong with having 2 fly rods. Or 4. Or 7. -Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Thanks for the replies. I haven't heard of mossy's until now so I'll have to check it out. I should have mentioned that I planned on getting another rod for trout but I aappreciate the advice