Thread: What kind of boat for the Ivashak River?

Default What kind of boat for the Ivashak River?

What is the biggest jet boat you can consistently take up the Ivashak River? Thanks.

Default Boat size

Water level determines that. How far can you push a boat when the channel dries up?

Last year mid August there was no water at the launch (OK, it was a 2"-3" deep pool, no water flowing through it). Water levels can and do change daily by 3",4",5", etc... depending on the weather obviuosly.

What are you thinking about running and when?
    BK

I was thinking of running late August/early September. Yikes... 2"-3" I'm guessing it's a complete gamble with the Ivashak then?

You are correct.
    Worse case is you get up there, shoot some animals and the water level drops overnight. Now your stuck and have meat to deal with before it turns....
    Many people run airboats that are capable of running ground including the couple guides that frequent the river.
    BK

I always ran a zodiak with a 40 hp Yamaha Jet. Never worried to much about the water level and alwasy had a blast. Sadly I sold that boat and now I have to beg rides from friends..... By far my favorite hunt in the state.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    I always ran a zodiak with a 40 hp Yamaha Jet. Never worried to much about the water level and alwasy had a blast. Sadly I sold that boat and now I have to beg rides from friends..... By far my favorite hunt in the state.
    How much drafting did you do with a rubber boat and 1,2 or 3 animals, including gear and friends. It would seem a boat can draft and run in less water than a zodiak. Did you run it in a hard shell?

I ran an old 15.9" zodiac gr3. I did rip out the transom on one trip on the Echooka but after I rebuilt it and flattened it out to accept the jet foot, there was no stopping that thing. I could haul 3 guys and camping gear with a few bou back down river with no issues. Sure was fun running the Ivashak. If I could find that boat/motor for sale I'd buy it back in a second
    MMSI# 338232859

What kind of outboard did you have on your GR? How shallow were you guys drafting in the water? That's sound pretty sweet... I'm guessing you guys used a lift to get the jet foot out of the water?

I ran a Yamaha 2 stroke 40 hp jet. It was a true factory 40 jet so it would push the zodiac really well loaded up. My her foot was pretty flush with the bottom so I never needed a lift. The tubes would scrape before the jet foot would But that's only because of the transom rebuild I did. A normal zodiac doesn't run well with a jet because of the v shaped transom bottom.
    MMSI# 338232859

I ran a 14 foot yukon inflatable with a 35 horse Jet a few times. I ran the Sag with it a few times too. It ran okay with a few guys and light gear, toss in a caribou and it was getting crowded. I started running a 20' Predator up there and did the hunt for about 6 straight years with it. Had a blast and if you know how to run the river, you can keep from thrashing your boat. The first year out was a learning experience for me and I did some damage to the bottom, but never did spring a leak. My godfather brought up his 16 foot alweld with a 50 horse and would constantly have problems, but I don't think he was getting on it like he needed to. He had leaks in the back transom quite often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4Bx...rYCkOlVWVTGoXw

I have a 15-5" GR3 I'd sell. It has a new transom on it but it has the Vee in it like stock. It has a 40hp zuki prop. 80's era on both.

I just don't use it anymore. It needs a little bit of work, but overall in pretty good condition. AK raft and kayak put the transom on (twice) and AK raft connection put a eurathane coating on the bottom.

You have to be flexible when running the Ivashak. The river channel, like all of them, appears to be changing. If the primary launch area is dry, you can head north on the road to an alternate launch that requires a little more intelligence to use. Another option is to launch just north of Happy Valley, but you will use more fuel and will be heading down stream for the first part. I have been in both airboat and jetboat from south of Happy Valley (Sag River) to the Bluffs, north of the traditional launch site. Also, gone in both up the Ivashak to the big guide camp near the base of the brooks, as well as up the Echooko (?sp) but the latter is to skinny for most jets IMHO. Perfect waters for an airboat, but they get in trouble too. If you know your skills, can read water, and are willing to be patient, a smaller jetboat can do many of the same things. Every outboard I have seen up there has had some type of problem too...
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather