Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daughter's 21st Birthday. She wants a compact 9mm pistol... Help

Default Daughter's 21st Birthday. She wants a compact 9mm pistol... Help

As stated, she turns 21 today and has looked at a few. Need some suggestions on a make and model if you know one of the better ones. She has looked at a KAHR, compact but I have never heard of that brand. She also looked at A Ruger LC9, which looks like pretty good bang for the buck, excuse the pun. That KAHR does not have laser sites and is listed @ $749, which seems pretty steep if you ask me. The Ruger with sites is $549.
    Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks for looking and replying, either/or. The whop
    Last edited by thewhop2000; 08-07-2014 at 08:29. Reason: fat fingers
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Have a Sig P938 and really like it.

The Smith & Wesson M&P Shield is worth considering if she likes the size of the LC9.

I don't have experience with KAHR but I believe they have a good reputation.

Sig P-938 are fine little pistols.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    As stated, she turns 21 today and has looked at a few. Need some suggestions on a make and model if you know one of the better ones. She has looked at a KAHR, compact but I have never heard of that brand. She also looked at A Ruger LC9, which looks like pretty good bang for the buck, excuse the pun. That KAHR does not have laser sites and is listed @ $749, which seems pretty steep if you ask me. The Ruger with sites is $549.
    Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks for looking and replying, either/or. The whop
    WhT an awesome bday present.

I kike bith both your options. However I actually found I preferred shooting the keltec 9mm that is similar to both those guns you listed.
    I'm assuming she already had, but if not I recommend having her practice racking the slides.

Another vote for the Sig 938, I love mine <3

It may be to late- but you didn't mention if she's been shooting a SA already. I recently took a couple of classes that allowed me to handle different pistols. And of course the store should as well. The mechanisms & slides from one may be more comfortable for her than another. I have small hands, so not just any pistol works comfortably for me. Those Kahrs- I've never gotten to shoot one, but the one with the rose is attractive! In a ladies only class I took recetly- most of the girls had the S&W & more commonly rugers. I have a Glock 19 & while it may not be as pretty- I really like it! But, in the woods- still carry a revolver! =)

Note on the Sig p938. Nothing against it, but my wife tried one and hated it. It's a good gun, but it's very light weight and has very little to absorb recoil. She never felt comfortable shooting it because of the recoil. She mentioned it was too harsh and hurt. For reference, her favorite handgun is actually an XD .45 ACP Compact. It's not the 9mm, it's the lightweight of the gun. So that's something to keep in mind. She even said the P238 is worse (and it's a .380).

Think about the Kahr, it's good. S&W shield 9mm is also good. XDs 9mm is good. And Glock 26 is good too.

My suggestion is to take her shopping and shooting and let her choose. Nothing worse than trying to sit a square peg into a round hole handgun-wise, for a gun that just doesn't feel or recoil right for that intended person. She should heft as many as she can at your local LGS's, and then try the ones she likes best. The only thing in the laws of physics that reduces recoil is an equal and opposite force, and mass has a lot to do with that. Polymer -framed pistols, especially small, light guns with a higher pressure round like 9mm can be snappy on recoil and some aren't pleasant.

If she could not only feel them in her hand, but also shoot them it would be a huge help. Something that feels good at the shop does not mean she will like it when it goes off. I know 2 women who chose to carry larger guns simply because of the recoil being more with the smaller ones and they did not like it. I really like the Shield for a smaller ccw, and my wife prefers her M&P to any other handgun other than a 4" 686 with Hogue grips.

Good luck with an awesome present!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

No expertise here, however I ben lookin at them Ergonomic, Walther pistols. I like them all, of course. Which Model, which model?? PK380, anyone? Why not 40 S&W?

BUT, How's about that CCP??? http://www.waltherarms.com/ccp/

I also like the Kahr's . They're not an off the wall brand. Also, many versions to choose from. They say the trigger feels like a DA revolver, but smoother. The action is unique.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I have an LC9 and it carry's nicely in my pants pocket. A bit heavy but a full power 9mm load needs some taming in small guns. Mine shoots good and has been very reliable with most any ammo... Trigger pull is loooong, but I think I just read something on Ruger site that they have improved that?
    A gun that may be worth a look is a Bersa 380, pretty decent little gun for a gal to pack around....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

The LC9s is the striker fired version, supposed to have a way better trigger.
    My wife just went through all this looking for a gun. After holding about every 9mm handgun known to man she went with a full size Xd.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

If she is carrying the gun or using it in car or home for protection, I would look at the Glock 26. I have a G27, which is same gun but a 40 S&W, rather than 9 mm. It's a flawless performer and incredibly accurate. Most importantly, it's 100% reliable. As Glocks don't have a real safety, I would suggest keeping it loaded, but without a round chambered. Far safer and it only takes a second to chamber a round. If she wants a gun just for the range and such, look at bigger guns that are easy to handle and have more weight to offset recoil.

Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Well, everyone here has posted sound advice, and the one about taking her shopping is almost the best one. I think if it were me, I would call all of my friends with there different 9 mm (s), try to get one from all of the flavors listed above, and let her shoot all of them until she finds one that she likes best.

I have the Ruger LC9 and the Keltec as someone else mentioned, and to me they are about the same. They have very long trigger pulls and both will smack your hand if you're not holding them right. I also have the Ruger SR9 and I like it a bunch...just wish I had the compact version for carry.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents worth. If you make it to SE Alaska I will gladly bring mine to the range for you. Hope this helps.

Default This website will be helpful

http://www.corneredcat.com/

is written by a woman and with women shooters in mind, but is of equal value to gents, too.

Lost Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    If she could not only feel them in her hand, but also shoot them it would be a huge help. Something that feels good at the shop does not mean she will like it when it goes off. I know 2 women who chose to carry larger guns simply because of the recoil being more with the smaller ones and they did not like it. I really like the Shield for a smaller ccw, and my wife prefers her M&P to any other handgun other than a 4" 686 with Hogue grips.

Good luck with an awesome present!
    this is exactly right. My wife fell in love with the G27 until she shot it. Now she wants me to sell it when I go to town or trade it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    this is exactly right. My wife fell in love with the G27 until she shot it. Now she wants me to sell it when I go to town or trade it.
    Tell her to check out the G26. Same size package with a 9mm so it's a little less flippy and recoil is manageable. That's what my wife carries now.

G26 would be my first vote as well.

For a budget 9mm, I wouldn't overlook the Taurus Millennium G2.

There's no need to spend over $600 for a good 9mm.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I have a S&W Shield 9mm and really like it, however my wife finds it’s recoil to be a bit excessive, and she lacks the hand strength to rack the slide. I ended up getting her a Ruger LC380 (not the tiny LCP380) and she is able to rack the slide with ease and enjoys shooting the pistol due to its low perceived recoil.

If by chance you are going to be in Anchorage and want to hit the bunny creek range to let you daughter try them both, just let me know and maybe we can figure out a day that will work.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast