Thread: Windfall Creek Sockeye

Default Windfall Creek Sockeye

Anyone out on the creek yet? Thought about hiking up there today but went and screwed around in the 5 footers at eagle beach. If anyone has a report for the creek, I would appreciate it.

I was stupid enough to go there last year with the 47 other people taking up the limited space on the confluence. You can have it.

I have never been up there for a sockeye run. Is it still that way on a wednesday morning? Even if the creek is packed though, I still love fishing the lake for cutts, so at least theres a backup plan.

It's the strangest thing EPW, but Juneau has an amazing amount of people with nothing else to do. When I was up there last year I heard huys talking about hiking in at midnight so they could escape the crowds.... only to find others had their idea too.

I abandoned the creek and headed up to the lake for no other reason than to scout around. Hadn't been there since the 80s. Didn't have any trout gear with me, but thought about returning for that at some point in the future. That day hasn't come yet.

I also still have never fished up above the Salmon Creek dam. That's on my to do list along with a trip out to Turner Lake...... The future. It's fun to think about.

Hope you do good at Windfall.

Good call on above the Salmon Creek Dam. I think I may try to make it up there in the next week or so, once I get my Alpaca. As far as Windfall, I have been up there a few times since I moved back up here and I love it. Especially when I have the cabin. The few times I have been up there, there has been no one else around for miles and the lake was all mine. Beautiful cuts and lots of em. I am moving out to Amalga here in a couple of weeks and that will be a daily hike for me I think.
    O Turner Lake. Still trying to locate a jet boat so I can make that, as well as the rest of the Taku, a regular vacation spot of mine. I know you can't keep the cuts up there, but it sounds like they are BIG and sure would be fun to catch. I hear there is Kokanee over there as well, we will have to see.
    Have you ever fished Dorothy Creek/Lake or Bart Lake? Looks like they might be worth the hike for an overnight here pretty soon as well.

Heard of both but haven't fished either.

"Alpaca" lol. It is a nice climb up the wet and rotting stairs for sure!

Ward Air can get you out to Turner pretty cheap if you pair up with 2 or 3 others. I've also heard of folks hiking in over there as well.