Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: homer Kelp Bed location??

Default homer Kelp Bed location??

hey i just had a quick question. i want to fish the kelp beds between homer and anchor point next weekend in my raft and i want to know the exact location of them. i can launch of the beach i dont need a boat launch so the best way would be awesome. also if you have any tips for me that would be appreciated. im going to try to pull out some buts. friday the 15th evening. thats my birthday so im hitting the russian for reds, then kasilof for kings, then anchor kelp beds for buts. i want to limit out on those 3 species. vance

Default Homer Kelp beds

I saw this post a couple days ago and being a new boater to the area I was hoping to learn from the replies. Any information about the location of the kelp beds and the types of fish they attract would be appreciated. If to much information, just the types of fish and then we can find them ourselves. Thanks.

Kelp beds hold a variety of fish. I mainly know of the rockfish and greenling they hold. I know that plugs like rapalas work well. Jigging can work great with little soft baits. A favorite for many people is a topwater popper. Its an effectice technique that is also very fun.

Oh yeah salmon and sharks also cruise the kelp beds so you can find them as well.

Good info thanks... I was thinking of fishing the beds next week for halibut.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default ok, so where

Ok,
    So excatly where are the kelp beds? Many people reference them but there is a lot area between Anchor Pt & Deep creek. Even people I know talk about them in a general sense, so I think they are in a secret location that those in the know keep quiet.

Don't forget to save those salmon heads you're gonna get from the Russian to use for those big kelp bed halibut.
    As for location, one way to find them is look for top water kelp in large concentrations.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by akprideinvegas View Post
    .....friday the 15th evening. thats my birthday......
    Happy Birthday. I hope you score big.

I,m going to make both friends and foes with this post. But here you go.
    N 59 40 360
    W 151 54 360

N 59 41 097
    W 151 50 492

N 59 39 898
    W 151 45 995

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by fishin 45 View Post
    I,m going to make both friends and foes with this post.....
    I consider you very friendly!

Ok so that is all the same kelp bed or 3 different kelp beds. how far off are they and where do you launch from to reach them? i have my raft that im rowing out to them again and was curious. im tying off to them and am going to try and catch some buts. but i can launch off the beach anywhere since i can carry my boat. thanks vance

Thumbs up chart

Vance,
    I would get a hold of a chart, you can get them in Anch or Soldotna, or find electonic mapping program.
    He has graciously provided 3 locations. By looking them up on a map you will be able to answer your questions & determine where would be best for you to launch from. Also sometimes places like sportsmans whse, REI & others will have foldup tearproof maps for $10.00 I have a natl geographic one for homer as it shows a lot of beaches, hiking trails, islands, etcc... this would be easy for you to take out on the water with you.

Fishn 45, your help is greatly appreciated

Default tying to kelp...

there are some honking big tides this weekend...when the tide is running hard the kelp will not show on the surface. not sure if i would advise trying to row to the kelp beds.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I did not understand you correctly, when you mentioned a raft, I assumed you meant a motorized craft. I would NOT recomend you try any of those holes without a motor. I always launch from Homer harbor and don't know where you would launch to row to these holes.

those spots are 7 miles from anchor point. and i could not find another road to access closer. the one hole is 1.5 miles off shore. if i focus closer to anchor point is there anywhere closer to shore. or do you think that i am good to just go .5-1 mile off shore and drift and bottom bounce. last time i went was out of deep creek and we could not find water any deeper than 35 feet. am i going to find any deeper water closer to shore further south by anchor??? thanks vance

Default the short answer...

nope...but fishing 30-50 feet deep can certainly produce nice halibut, i just wouldn't venture offshore w/out a motor..
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Maybe I'm all wet here but venturing out in Cook Inlet without a motor may very well be the worst idea you could have if you get caught in a tide change. I don't know how fast the water flows for sure but I know it can flat cruise. Imagine rowing that raft upstream in the Big Su or the Kenia river and tell me you can get yourself back. Maybe taking a handheld VHF radio would be a wise move. Sorry I just don't see this venture to the big blue sea being the most intelligent. BTW the tidal change isn't in your favor this weekend with a 26' difference.

yes i understand the concerns but i have been out twice and i was out there last weekend. i know how much the tide moves. but i can row upstream in bothh of those rivers for a good while. also i dont know how much you have paid attention to where you drift but you drift paralel with the land not away from thhe land. so the worst that would happen is i drift towards homer or Deep Creek depending on the tide. but any time inbetween i just row back to shore. thanks though vance

Just in case you didn't notice the tide change will be double what it was last weekend. That is a big difference but I'm sure your a big boy. Keep in mind the closer you are to Homer the more an outgoing tide will take you away from shore not parallel to it.

One more thing, I hope your not using too heavy of line. Your oars won't stop a 150 lbr from taking you for a ride but I suppose you could always have a knife ready Good Luck it sounds like your in for an adventure. I'd be interested to know how it all turns out for you.

So how big is this raft? Do you have an anchor with plenty of line in case? A bouy to cut away the anchor if needed? I assume you have all your flares and saftey equip up to date, but then I assumed you had a motor too. Please be careful whatever you choose to do. Don't make me regret posting those numbers.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    Maybe I'm all wet here but venturing out in Cook Inlet without a motor may very well be the worst idea you could have if you get caught in a tide change. I don't know how fast the water flows for sure but I know it can flat cruise. Imagine rowing that raft upstream in the Big Su or the Kenia river and tell me you can get yourself back.
    I'm not positive, but I think the tide can get up to perhaps 5 mph. I think 3 mph is about average.

In comparison, the Yukon averages 7 mph., but the Yukon will simply take you to the next village. Cook Inlet will take you to Hawaii - the long way.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast