Thread: Alaska atv state laws

Default Alaska atv state laws

When I travel from michigan to alaska I will bring my atv. Are my michigan trail stickers good there or do I need Alaska trail stickers . Same thing for Canada?

No trail decals in Alaska.

ATV's are like snow machines, in that they 'should' be tagged in Alaska. There are some places that one can ride that it may be a 'local' requirement. We have tags for all of ours. However there are 'lots' of trails that one does not need to have tags on the ATV's.

We have never worried about anything like that down here in southeast. No license or tags or anything.

http://doa.alaska.gov/dmv%5Creg%5Csnow.htm

http://www.dps.state.ak.us/pio/relea...%20Statute.pdf

Technically all ATVs/UTVs and snowmachines must be registered if being driven anywhere in the state other than private property.

Quote Originally Posted by dandeo2003 View Post

Technically all ATVs/UTVs and snowmachines must be registered if being driven anywhere in the state other than private property.
    That's not the way I read it. You have to register ATVs/UTVs if you drive them on the SNOW. Otherwise you are not required to.

Location, location, location......in Seldovia for example, you need a decal to ride in the city limits, including the beach.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    That's not the way I read it. You have to register ATVs/UTVs if you drive them on the SNOW. Otherwise you are not required to.
    Correct! Ask a trooper if anyone needs clarification, but it's right there in black and white.

That is incorrect, only snowmachines.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Location, location, location......in Seldovia for example, you need a decal to ride in the city limits, including the beach.
    NOt required by the State.
    Tim

http://www.dps.state.ak.us/pio/relea...;s%20Guide.pdf

Registering Your ATV As A Snow Vehicle:
    A vehicle with low-pressure
    tires, such as a 3-wheel or 4-wheel ATV, may qualify as a snow vehicle. In Alaska,
    such vehicles are required by law to be registered the same way as a snowmobile.
    This permits you to have your ATV registered, and identified in case of theft, but
    does not
    mean it is a licensed motor vehicle. You may not operate a snow vehicle
    off your private property unless the snow vehicle has been registered with the
    Division of Motor Vehicles.
    Registering your ATV as a snow vehicle requires a two-year registration at a
    nominal fee. Permanent numbered decals are provided with the registration. The
    equipment required to be on an ATV for snow vehicle registration purposes are:
    brakes, headlamps, a throttle, and an exhaust muffler.

In Alaska, an ATV may be registered with the Division of Motor Vehicles as
    a snow vehicle but not as a motor vehicle.

http://www.touchngo.com/lglcntr/akst...section990.htm

(51) "snowmachine" means a motor vehicle of 850 pounds or less gross vehicle weight, primarily designed to travel over snow, and supported, in part by skis, belts, or tracks; "snowmachine" includes the motor vehicle commonly known as a snowmobile;

While reading these searches I found what could be a loophole for ATVs but unless you have a good enough lawyer or enough "courtroom experience" as my dad would have called it, why would you want to try and save $10 - $30 in registration fees just to challenge a LEO if he decides to ticket you for no registration? The loophole I found was that the state codes have more than 1 definition of an ATV. The first one I found is above, another I found is below.

5 ACC 92.990.Definitions:
    (75) "ATV"
    (A) means a motorized tracked vehicle, or a vehicle with four or more wheels, operated on land weighing less that 1,000 pounds dry weight;
    (B) does not include a snowmachine.

I'm no legal professional and I'm not a pot stirrer when it comes to LEOs. So I guess I will just pay a little now and save myself a possible bigger bill later.

While reading these searches I found what could be a loophole for ATVs but unless you have a good enough lawyer or enough "courtroom experience" as my dad would have called it, why would you want to try and save $10 - $30 in registration fees just to challenge a LEO if he decides to ticket you for no registration? The loophole I found was that the state codes have more than 1 definition of an ATV. The first one I found is above, another I found is below.

5 ACC 92.990.Definitions:
    (75) "ATV"
    (A) means a motorized tracked vehicle, or a vehicle with four or more wheels, operated on land weighing less that 1,000 pounds dry weight;
    (B) does not include a snowmachine.

I'm no legal professional and I'm not a pot stirrer when it comes to LEOs. So I guess I will just pay a little now and save myself a possible bigger bill later.

Why WOULD you pay when it is not a state requirement. If it was required, dealers would be required to register them at the point of sale just like a snowmachine. Owners are not cited by law enforcement because it is not required, show us anyone who has been for this reason.

Good Morning,

You are not required to register them unless the city you live in has an ordinance that allows them to be driven on the roadways. You would also need to register them if you plan on driving in a state park or on military land.

Becky Tetz, MVCSR II

State of Alaska/DMV - Valdez

Department of Administration

PO Box 650

Valdez, AK 99686

Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1 View Post
    Good Morning,

You are not required to register them unless the city you live in has an ordinance that allows them to be driven on the roadways. You would also need to register them if you plan on driving in a state park or on military land.

Becky Tetz, MVCSR II

State of Alaska/DMV - Valdez

Department of Administration

PO Box 650

Valdez, AK 99686
    Only if you are using them in the State Parks while trails are restricted to snowmobiles
    Other wise, no you do not need to register them to ride on legal trails in the parks.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Question: Do I have to register my snowmachine or ATV?
    Kelly

Answer: Kelly, yes and no, in that order.

You would think the law would apply to both equally, but that is not the case. A.S. 28.39.010 specifically requires that all snowmachines operated anywhere in the state must be registered. Failing to register a snowmachine is a $60 fine, with no points against your license.
    The registration stickers come with directions on where they must be placed on the machine. Failing to display the stickers as directed is a $60 citation under A.S. 28.39.040(e). The registration is only $10 for two years, so it is not a huge burden.
    Unlike snowmachines, there is no statute or regulation requiring the registration of ATVs. However, I would recommend registering your ATV for several reasons, even if you choose not to renew the registration when it expires.
    First, if you were a thief and you saw two ATVs parked side by side, which would you be more likely to steal; the one that has a state registration sticker on it or the one without? Common sense says ATVs with registration stickers on them are less likely to be stolen because they can easily be identified.
    Second, law enforcement agencies statewide recover an astonishing number of abandoned ATVs every year that can't be returned to their owners because we can't figure out who the owners are.
    Most owners have no record of their ATV's serial numbers, so when they report their ATV stolen, it can't be entered in the system. When it is found abandoned months or years later by law enforcement, we run the serial number, and if it doesn't come back stolen, we don't know who the owner is. It then gets impounded and auctioned.
    The third reason I recommend registering your ATV is because it greatly enhances our ability to find your stolen machine in the course of our regular duties.
    If we contact someone with a yard full of suspicious machines or come across an ATV during another unrelated theft investigation, we are likely to run the registration numbers to see if the ATVs are stolen. How bad would you feel if we found your stolen ATV in the possession of the thief, but let him keep it because it wasn't registered and we didn't know it was stolen?
    The cost to register an ATV is only $10 for two years, and as I said, even if you let it expire, you will still have the registration sticker on the machine acting as a deterrent, and we still have a record of you being the owner if it is stolen then recovered.
    Let's hope DMV sees a rush on ATV registrations this week.

From the Daily News Miner, ASK A Trooper,Published March 10, 2010
    Tim