Thread: Ivishak "Bench" GPS Coordinates

Default Ivishak "Bench" GPS Coordinates

Wont know exactly where we are getting dropped on the river until we get there, but wanted to print some Topo maps of the area we are most likely to be in. Anyone have the exact GPS Coordinates for the "Bench" on the Ivishak?

Thanks!

Burns,
    Not sure what you are referring to as "the bench"?
    Googgle earth should be of use though if you know what you are looking for??
    BK

You won't even know if they are going to drop you on the Ivashak maybe, unless you are willing to wait. Best bet is to bring the hardcopy maps of the area you think you will go, and have GPS electronic with mapping capability.

AHHH the bench! It was just one year ago I was in this exact same position not sleeping at night waiting for this trip. I will give you the exact GPS of the bench, but if you ask me, I would go to the intersection in between the Echooka and Ivashak (kobuk canyon). This is where we started to see all the animals. I am sure every year is different, but as you can see. The bench is a long long long way away. Wont go that far again, we had a very hard hunt, but I will be back.

N68~50' 17.9"
    W146~47' 09.9"

My squigly is the degree mark
    Good Luck!

So there is now a commercial operator running/boating people up the Ivashak? Or are you talking about flying in there? That poor place really has gone to ****e....

Fly in. 70north's location called the bench. We still fly in there, and last year first week of september we only saw one raft in the mountains. the rest of the people we saw were all about ten miles from the echooka mouth. it was pretty vacant land for the cheapness of the hunt.

Specific info such as coordinates should probably not be shared on an open forum such as this. PM would have been a better option or simply call Mike if you can reach him. I've been to "the bench" twice and doubt I will go back due to the increased pressure on the Ivishak. There are better options up there...just not as cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    AHHH the bench! It was just one year ago I was in this exact same position not sleeping at night waiting for this trip. I will give you the exact GPS of the bench, but if you ask me, I would go to the intersection in between the Echooka and Ivashak (kobuk canyon). This is where we started to see all the animals. I am sure every year is different, but as you can see. The bench is a long long long way away. Wont go that far again, we had a very hard hunt, but I will be back.

N68~50' 17.9"
    W146~47' 09.9"

My squigly is the degree mark
    Good Luck!
    Wasn't sure where I was going to hunt bou this year, but now I know! Thanks! I love Alaska outdoor directory #killingbou2014 #seeyouonthemountain #needabiggerfreezer

Birdstrike,

I was OK with someone PMing me the coordinates. The Ivishak is no secret, and I booked knowing that, as does anyone else who does any due diligence. Youre right though, if the mods would please erase this whole thread?

Birdstrike,

You are the one who gave me the intel on this very forum of how to kill what i killed last year. I am grateful for you info on the ivashak, and I could not have done it without you. But like they said, this river is no secret, and it might be somewhat crowded, but for the price you can't ask for a better hunt. Great area, very sparse animals, we just got lucky and harvested the ones we got. I only gave these cords because this place is known. I would never give mine or someone else's spot on this forum. Now if you can get Mike or Bawb to answer the phone, let alone take you out on time. they might just give you the same cords i gave you. Do yourself a favor and pay a little extra and go further.

joe

I'm definitely not an expert on the Ivishak or any other river in the Brooks. However, most of the intel I have given out after two trips up there has been via PM. I'll continue to do the same just as other hunters have done for me. I know Mike & Bob are difficult to reach this time of year, but I was able to get the coordinates from them for the same exact reason you wanted them. Maybe I just started planning a bit earlier? You'll notice trip reports that I have started avoid specific details and river names if hunting is involved.

I'll definitely be heading to another drainage next time I'm up there.

Birdstrike,

I agree. I started planning a long time ago to make a return trip to the Ivishak. I just wanted to print some more detailed maps and needed some specific coordinates. As I stated above, you're right, I should have specified that I could use the coordinates via PM. For the cost of the float, with additional flights in with added gear vs. getting dropped in a different drainage, I am not sure the latter option would cost that much more. It would also get you into some country where you wouldn't be likely to see the crowds that I expect to see on the river.

Again, I recognize the error in judgment of asking for the coordinates openly. If a moderator would kindly delete this thread, it will solve the problem. I apologize to any that were offended or displeased.