Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is a 7x57 AK?

Default What is a 7x57 AK?

I acquired a gun passed down to me from my grandfather and I think it's 7x57 mauser but the AK makes me think that it could be an ackley improved cartridge. Any feedback helps.

Put a 7X57 round in it and shoot it, measure the case. if it's Improved you'll know it, send the case to RCBS if you have to and they will make a set of dies for it. If it's "Improved" you can shoot standard loads all day long

Ok thanks. That should take care of my problem.

Does the "AK" look as if it was stamped at the same time as the "7X57" or does it appear different, like it was stamped years later.....??

Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    I acquired a gun passed down to me from my grandfather and I think it's 7x57 mauser but the AK makes me think that it could be an ackley improved cartridge. Any feedback helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoughNut View Post
    Put a 7X57 round in it and shoot it, measure the case. if it's Improved you'll know it, send the case to RCBS if you have to and they will make a set of dies for it. If it's "Improved" you can shoot standard loads all day long
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    Ok thanks. That should take care of my problem.
    Firing ammo in an unknown chamber is not a good idea. It would be much safer to have a gunsmith (or you can do it yourself) cast the chamber of your rifle to determine its dimensions. It may be safe to fire 7x57 ammo in it, but it may not and it has the potential for disastrous consequences.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Glad you spoke up.

I was going to, but decided it wasn't my gun. Or my fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Firing ammo in an unknown chamber is not a good idea. It would be much safer to have a gunsmith (or you can do it yourself) cast the chamber of your rifle to determine its dimensions. It may be safe to fire 7x57 ammo in it, but it may not and it has the potential for disastrous consequences.
    True, but depends on how the process is done. Apply some smarts to the problem. Put a fired-cartridge in and see how it fits. For example, if it's a 7mmRem Mag, .280Rem/7mmExpress or 7mm STW chamber, then a 7x57 cartridge case is going to rattle around in there and be completely obvious that it's a different chambering. If it's a mis-marked 7mm-08 chamber, then a 7x57 shell won't fit all the way due to case length differences. If it is just a 7x57 AI, then the shell will fit pretty snug and the bolt will even close. At that point you can take a primed 7x57 case without a bullet or powder and wad up some cleaning patches in the case mouth to give some resistance, and close the bolt and fire the shell. A primer alone won't hurt anything that the rifle receiver-barrel-bolt combination won't protect you from. And if the shell expands any, guess what, it's not a 7x57 chamber.

Not everything requires running to the gunsmith (hey, we don't even have one in this town) until you apply some common-sense and engineering to the problem, first. Then a trip to the 'smith may be warranted but at least you can tell them what you already know that it isn't.

And make sure you clean the patches out of the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Glad you spoke up.

I was going to, but decided it wasn't my gun. Or my fingers.
    That's what I was thinking too.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
    True, but depends on how the process is done. Apply some smarts to the problem. Put a fired-cartridge in and see how it fits. For example, if it's a 7mmRem Mag, .280Rem/7mmExpress or 7mm STW chamber, then a 7x57 cartridge case is going to rattle around in there and be completely obvious that it's a different chambering. If it's a mis-marked 7mm-08 chamber, then a 7x57 shell won't fit all the way due to case length differences. If it is just a 7x57 AI, then the shell will fit pretty snug and the bolt will even close. At that point you can take a primed 7x57 case without a bullet or powder and wad up some cleaning patches in the case mouth to give some resistance, and close the bolt and fire the shell. A primer alone won't hurt anything that the rifle receiver-barrel-bolt combination won't protect you from. And if the shell expands any, guess what, it's not a 7x57 chamber.

Not everything requires running to the gunsmith (hey, we don't even have one in this town) until you apply some common-sense and engineering to the problem, first. Then a trip to the 'smith may be warranted but at least you can tell them what you already know that it isn't.

And make sure you clean the patches out of the barrel.
    There is no way to determine the specifications of an unknown chamber that are superior to producing a chamber cast. I mentioned that the OP could do this himself, or that he could have a gunsmith do it for him. I understand what it means to live in the bush and have limited access to a host of things and yet that doesn't change anything in my post. Are there other ways to determine the likely cartridge dimensions? Yes there are, but the benefits of knowing certain things rather than guessing about them are sometimes enormous and experience has determined this to be such a scenario. Suum cuique.........

Yup.

Cerrosafe is available from a wide variety of sources. Here is just one. It's also dirt cheap, especially since you can reuse it for the rest of your life. Even in the bush. Only reason not to use it is laziness.

Suum cuique.........
    Really....???

Oh, ok.....for the rest of us mere mortals, this mean "to each his own"

sheesh......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

There is no way to determine the specifications of an unknown chamber that are superior to producing a chamber cast.
    I never stated my method was superior. I stated that there's a whole lot of work anybody with some common sense can do at home and get 99% of the result if you can't or don't have access to a gunsmith. This stuff isn't rocket science. Besides, since the chamber is already marked 7x57 then the OP is already most of the way there. You want a chamber cast to prove that it is that chambering that is marked? Go ahead. Field methods will give you a 99.99% certainly without the effort, and do it safely. Then the first fired shell casing will confirm that. Nothing in my method ever approached the area of being unsafe.

Yup.

Cerrosafe is available from a wide variety of sources. Here is just one. It's also dirt cheap, especially since you can reuse it for the rest of your life. Even in the bush. Only reason not to use it is laziness.

That the wisest action is among the easiest simply gets overlooked.......

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Really....???

Oh, ok.....for the rest of us mere mortals, this mean "to each his own"

sheesh......
    I've long considered myself mortal, but I suppose time will prove the truth. Can't see how you'd care what I post or say, much less have the arrogance to consider someone else haughty. It can be translated "to each his own," but the connotation includes that "each receives what their opinion deserves." It may be best to simply read past (ignore) what I post if you're so easily offended.

I never stated my method was superior. I stated that there's a whole lot of work anybody with some common sense can do at home and get 99% of the result if you can't or don't have access to a gunsmith. This stuff isn't rocket science. Besides, since the chamber is already marked 7x57 then the OP is already most of the way there. You want a chamber cast to prove that it is that chambering that is marked? Go ahead. Field methods will give you a 99.99% certainly without the effort, and do it safely. Then the first fired shell casing will confirm that. Nothing in my method ever approached the area of being unsafe.
    Actually, ballistics is rocket science.

Ingenuity can accomplish many things and I've fairly substantial fabricating skills, but there are some things that shouldn't be recommended for others, even if you are confident that you can perform them safely.

If I read the OP correctly the rifle is marked 7x57AK, which means that it is likely not a 7x57 and may be any of a host of variations on the same case or could be a rechambered 7x57 barrel to some as yet unknown wildcat. I've been wildcatting and customizing rifles for a long time and know that you cannot reach anything like 99% certainty using your methods. In contrast to that a chamber cast will provide 100% certainty for very little cost and time. If you work at this stuff long enough you'll find that it is worth every penny.

...a chamber cast will provide 100% certainty for very little cost and time. If you work at this stuff long enough you'll find that it is worth every penny.
    And dat's da bottom line.

Don't know of many things so cheap, easy and CERTAIN as Cerrosage chamber casts. Takes about 10 minutes and is 100% reliable, like you say.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I agree.

In this case. I would probably try some safe ways to determine the chamber before resorting to cerrosafe. Or, a gunsmith. Once you get to the place where you can fireform, you're home free.

Shucky Gee.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    ...before resorting to cerrosafe.
    Whyzat?

Cerrosafe is easy as pie and cheap, while taking away all the guesswork. About has difficult as pouring cream into a cup of coffee.

Examination of the recent thread showing something like a .308 in a .25-06 action is enough reason for ME to be super cautious in such an endeavor as this OP is faced with...

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Whyzat?

Cerrosafe is easy as pie and cheap, while taking away all the guesswork. About has difficult as pouring cream into a cup of coffee.
    I'm timid. And, I drink my coffee black.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast