Thread: Roadside/short hike pike.

Default Roadside/short hike pike.

Hi Guys .We are arriving in ak in a few days we will be fishing anywhere between Homer and Talkeetna we would like to try for pike. Are there any lakes along the highways or a short hike 3 miles or so from the roadside suitable for wade or bank fishing would prefer to fly fish but we will have spinning gear the pike don't need to be large but it would be nice to stop off and add another species to the list.
    Cheers Graham.

Call tippecanoe at

3 mike hike from south rolly lake in the nancy lake system. Rent a canoe and fish. I sent guest out a few weeks ago and they caught something on the order of fifty pike. No monsters but good consistent action.

Red Shirt Lake in the Nancy Lake area. It is the closest you will fell to "fly out" fishing without the flight. Rent the canoe (relativly cheap) and have a good time. You can even rent a public use cabin on the lake to give you a home base in case it rains or you have some that want to take a break from fishing without being stranded on a bank somewhere. Of course you could stay the night at the public use cabin as well but even if you aren't going to stay the night sometimes it is nice to know that you have a warm place for lunch or just to stretch your legs.

Anchorage, AK

I concur with Red Shirt Lake. Went twice this year and my son and I had a ball. Our first time pike fishing and we're hooked. Call ahead to Tippicanoe and reserve a canoe. Our first trip up we went blindly up there and was told that all the canoes were in use or reserved but one should be available soon. As luck would have it a party came in to turn in their key, PFD and paddles. Rental was $32 for a day (well worth it over dragging my canoe 3 miles) or $54 for overnight. Using frogs we got a ton of strikes but couldn't hook any, they'd grab by the legs but behind the hooks. You might try a hook trailing behind for top water lures. Using a spinner we couldn't keep them off. A spoon seemed to frighten them off. A spin & glow dragged across the top of the water did well too. But by far the florescent yellow spinner was a magnet for them. I've been told that other lakes in that area have pike but haven't been told which ones have a population as dense as Red Shirt.