Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dispatching A Halibut

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Nice fish! The shotgun seems a little over the top though. IMO.

A lot of people use snake charmers for their halibut hunting. A 410 is not any more energy than a heavy load in my .45LC.

My old 9 shoot 22 pistol has killed many halibut if hit in the "right spot". I have a 410 Snake Charmer on board but it hurts my ears from the noise.

Charterboat Operator

personally, i think the 410 is far more efective than a pistol, all the fish i have dispatched with a pistol over the years, the bullet travels right thru the fish, using the 410 all the pellets stay in the fish and very rarely travel thru. to me this means the fish is absorbing all the energy of that shot.
    cant say i have ever had a fish run back to the bottom after bieng shot with the 410, as i have had happen many times with several pistols.

The best thing in my opinion is a bang stick. I used a 357 bang stick for years and it's perfect. Quiet effective and safe

Just got back from a 2-1/2 week trip to Ketchikan ... my brother was adamant that he wanted to shoot the halibut with his revolver before I brought them onboard. I told him that I'm allergic to bullets and that we could do it the 'true' Alaskan way - with a harpoon!

Unfortunately, the biggest halibut we got was about 45#, so no bang needed. Will be interesting the first time we get a truly big halibut to the boat & land it.

That's one way to take a quick shower!

Last big 'but we hauled up was 150#. The angler wanted to keep it as it was his biggest. I stayed with 60# and under. The bonker on the the boat was a junior aluminum bat. Had very little effect even with well aimed multiple Babe Ruth home run hits. Just made her madder. We shark hooked it to the transom cleat and wailed away until it was subdued. The action was like a berserker, psycho washing machine on thrash cycle. The .410 would have been handy on that one. A full sized hickory bat would have worked, too.

Harpon and a small plastic bat to the head, never had to do more than that.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Harpon and a small plastic bat to the head, never had to do more than that.
    i actually agree, except an aluminum bat!
    i have been thru a whole box of shells with the 410 this summer though, , customers love it!!!

I love harpooning fish almost as much as I love shooting them afterwards. It makes me all warm and fuzzy inside!

I was going to suggest putting some oil on that shotgun, what a rusty mess!

The bang stick is by far the most effective if you need to subdue a large halibut but the bat does a pretty good job on average size fish.

I do carry the .410 though in case I actually catch a fish worthy enough. If I get more serious I will purchase a bang stick, lot less to go wrong.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    Nice fish! The shotgun seems a little over the top though. IMO.
    You can't mess around with those dangerous beasts! They'll sink your boat and then threaten your family. The discussion we should be having is 'Is the 12 gauge enough to stop a charging 200 lb halibut?' I'd use my 416, personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

I've never had an issue just harpooning a big hali through the gillplate, and letting the blood flow when it thrashes around. They get real calm after a few minutes of no blood.

I don't shoot fish, harpoon in the hump, wack on the head. done it to fish over 300 pounds,never had a problem or lost one. Never understood people that shoot fish. Always thought waving a gun around in six foot seas 40 miles offshore,with 7 people in a confined area was as bad an idea as drinking and shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    ...ustomers love it!!!
    There it is. Hollywood is good in giving customers a memorable trip and having them spread the word.

Harpoon or flying gaff and small bat for me. There's such a thing as too light in what you smack them with, but it doesn't have to be long to get the job done. Short and heavy works best for me simply because my aim is better. Hit them in the right spot, and it doesn't even take a big swing.

Best I've ever used is one of those cheap wooden billies with the head drilled out 5/8" and about 3" deep, then poured with melted lead. One bap and they're done, about a half-arm swing. In my days of killing big halibut, the biggest I bapped was a 327, with a handful more over 300, lots in the 100-200 range.

I know what good guns can do based on lots of years with big sharks in other waters and days. Just don't feel the same need for halibut. Of course, I'm not selling halibut rides, which could make a difference in my thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by TS View Post
    I don't shoot fish, harpoon in the hump, wack on the head. done it to fish over 300 pounds,never had a problem or lost one. Never understood people that shoot fish. Always thought waving a gun around in six foot seas 40 miles offshore,with 7 people in a confined area was as bad an idea as drinking and shooting.
    My thoughts exactly, insurance for us charter guys is high enough as it is, don't need that liability to go with the rest. I find that my clients love it when that fish goes swimming off with a bouy ball like in JAWS.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Agree with 270. Harpoon and a quick slash of the gills slows them down quite a bit. It does take a little more patience than a gun, 3-5 minutes, but I always want to take the time to savor the moment anyway

I used a 22 mag pistol for many years. follow the lateral line all the way to the top near the head. the line makes a half circle shoot at the very end at a 90 degree angle. It will break the fishes spine and paralyze it then you can bleed the fish. It works every time unless you don't hit the spine. I guess you could use a bigger gun but a 22 mag works every time for me.

Be cautious using anything (gun) other then a .410 with shot to dipatch a halibut.
    There is the possibilty of the bullet passing through then deflecting in the water and penetrating the hull of your boat.
    Odds are slim.....but it would suck.

We use the harpoon, then bleed out over the side.
    BK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast