Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with the bugs this year on your hunting trip.

Default Dealing with the bugs this year on your hunting trip.

The interior is going to be bad on not only yourselfs but the animals also. How are you going to battle the little pests?

The biting gnats on Tangles last weekend ate me bloody.

No choice but full coverage and a bug net. DEET was just microflavonoids for them.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Piss on hands, rub exposed skin, face, hair and repeat every couple hours. Works better when extremely dehydrated and pee is that hunter orange color.

After few days keeps everything away, wives, bill collectors, bugs, and even bill collectors.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

I'll be using a fair dose of SIU - otherwise known as Suck It Up. I sometimes apply bug repellent while hunting, but mostly just grin and bear it. Heck, it's one of the last reminders of summer. Soon they'll all be dead or dormant and we'll be dealing with frostbite risk instead. Not to minimize the frustration that bugs can bring, but I don't yet have any repellent or nets in my sheep gear, and I'm not sure that any will make it in.

All joking aside--and while I follow Brian's theory--I do bring a thermocell to use when moose hunting when we get one down. Just helps make the work easier. While I can grin and deal with it, sure it nice to back them up while parting an animal out.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    The interior is going to be bad on not only yourselfs but the animals also. How are you going to battle the little pests?
    Deet, mud, and smoke. I bought one of those net things but not sure if I'm going to wear it.

Nets and thermacells

I am with Brian, SIU. Not that its the fun way but I hate to try and keep smell down and then put super smelly stuff on. The animals can smell ya a mile away. I have found if you spill the innerds of your animal and then drag the carcass about 50 yards away from the gut pile, the bugs are almost non existant, there all hanging out at the pile. Helps to have a machine with a winch to do this.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

I am bringing two 2 ounce bottles of 100% deet and a head net and a nest for my tarp tent. I hear they can be bad in the Brooks this time of year. Haven't been up there so early before.

Go hunting after they die off..

Termacell works for me........
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

When I was caribou hunting on the 1st of July, I stopped at the deadhorse hotel to grab dinner and bought a orange bottle of bug spray. I wish I could remember what it was called, but I didn't get bit once with that on me. Boy were they swarming around me the whole time though!
    I'm prolly out using my bow or 30-30

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBoy View Post
    When I was caribou hunting on the 1st of July, I stopped at the deadhorse hotel to grab dinner and bought a orange bottle of bug spray. I wish I could remember what it was called, but I didn't get bit once with that on me. Boy were they swarming around me the whole time though!
    That would be Ben's bug spray. Most likely the 100% deet variety.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_2j2hctbqim_e
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I'll be using a fair dose of SIU - otherwise known as Suck It Up..
    ....well you got the suck part right. If you head into the Interior without a bug net it is really going to suck. LOL
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    That would be Ben's bug spray. Most likely the 100% deet variety.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_2j2hctbqim_e
    That would be it! I couldn't open that link for some reason, but I googled bens bug spray. I bought the aerosol can and it worked great. Highly recommend this for hunting in the brooks range especially. And remember I went mid-summer and didn't get one bite.
    I'm prolly out using my bow or 30-30

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBoy View Post
    That would be it! I couldn't open that link for some reason, but I googled bens bug spray. I bought the aerosol can and it worked great. Highly recommend this for hunting in the brooks range especially. And remember I went mid-summer and didn't get one bite.
    I guess it just depends on weather or not a person wants to put that toxic crap all over his body or not......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

What... there's bugs in Alaska?

Anybody ever use one these new mosquito magnets? http://www.mosquitomagnet.com

I've heard good things about them and I am seriously considering buying one for next summer when my family and I go stay at our property to build a cabin.

But when I'm hunting I usually fall into the SUCK IT UP camp.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I guess it just depends on weather or not a person wants to put that toxic crap all over his body or not......
    Agreed. There comes a point in some trips where the prospect of cancer down the road seems preferable to any more bug bites, and that's when I typically break out the Ben's. I know it isn't good for me, but I have yet to find anything that works as well.

Just be careful, it will melt anything plastic including rain gear...

Jack,

They work great - i've got two on my property. One is good for 1/2 acre, the other is rated for 1 acre.

Get them set up as early as you can in the spring to catch the early hatches. Run them the entire summer. One propane tank will run about 30 days. Also, wait till summer close out to purchase, they are spendy if you buy during the bug season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast