Thread: Missing Bayliner in PWS

Question Missing Bayliner in PWS

I didn't see this posted. Any news?

http://www.adn.com/article/20140805/...e-fishing-trip

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

There was a comment on one of the news stations facebook story about this that said they had been found. I haven't heard anything beyond that though as to any details or if that was just a rumor or not.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    There was a comment on one of the news stations facebook story about this that said they had been found. I haven't heard anything beyond that though as to any details or if that was just a rumor or not.
    According to the Anchorage Daily Dispatch KSKA Miner News, the boat's been found and everybody's okay. They had engine trouble and no radio to let people know.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Just found this, glad everything turned out good:

http://www.adn.com/article/20140805/...d-fishing-trip

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Missing Bayliner in PWS

They are young kids in dad's boat... Ran out of fuel....
    Last edited by akmike30; 08-05-2014 at 16:27. Reason: change
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    They are young kids in dad's boat... Ran out of fuel....
    40 year olds are young kids? Well, that makes me feel a little better!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    40 year olds are young kids? Well, that makes me feel a little better!!!
    Yeah no kidding! I guess akmike is really old

I don't think akmike was implying that we should give these people a free pass because they are "young". I don't care if you 20 or 80. Every person that goes out on the water needs to be adequately prepared to handle a situation like this. I understand how you might accidentally run out of gas, but to have no radio or communication device to let anyone know that you need some assistance is just plain stupid.

Default Missing Bayliner in PWS

I happen to know one guys on the boat. There getting fuel out to them...
    Remember they did have a float plan.
    Last edited by akmike30; 08-05-2014 at 19:41. Reason: cant spell
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Ran out of gas at Knight Island? Really? That's totally screwing up. As for the float plan, they said they were going to Naked.

The news this evening said they were hoping for a good Samaritan or the Coast Guard to tow them back. When I screwed up off Montague, I paid to get towed back.

A lot of those bayliners have poor cruising range, but they must have not been full when they left, or did a bunch of running around. Knight passage isn't that far from naked
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

No it isn't, but to run out of gas that far out from port, is totally screwing up. I'm glad they were found safe, but at this point, they should have to pay, or a friend should run gas out to them, to get that boat back. The Coast Guard shouldn't have to tow them back.

Yes, that is screwing up bad. Maybe they had a fuel leak?
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Well I'm very surprised they made it to Knight Passage with that nasty weather Sunday. We turned around half way down Perry passage with all the charter boats. 5' seas at South Perry isn't fun and it was worse farther south. Glad they are ok though....
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Why in the world would anyone leave port without a VHF radio on board?... at minimum one.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Or in a bayliner!

Coast Guard now says they were in a radio dead spot, still in a Bayliner.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Coast Guard now says they were in a radio dead spot, still in a Bayliner.
    I read that as well in the news this morning.

This brings up an interesting question regarding "Dead Spots". It's my understanding that you can be out of range of the land based VHF receivers. However, I always figured that, if that was the case, I would still be able to contact any nearby vessels. (Most of the areas I'm in are fairly popular spots) So, if I was out of range of the Coast Guard or local harbor, I'd likely be able to reach another vessel that is nearby to request assistance. I also carry an EPIRB for any real emergency situations. So, my plan would be to use that if I was out of radio range.

Anyone have input on this?

Thanks!

I spent half of a day last summer relaying for a boat (Bayliner!) that was out of range of the Coast Guard when I was out by Montague fishing. The troopers even stopped in to check on them, but did not tow them back. They ended up getting a tow to Seward even though they were out of Whittier. I think the problem was a bad starter. Expensive starter.

I would think most places in PWS you would be able to raise someone this time of year. Maybe we don't have the whole story.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I guess the weather was fairly bad as well, maybe everyone was holed up in the coves aka dead spots.

JR2 Yesterday when you said why would anyone leave port without a VHF I thought you were going to say "with a Bayliner" Just kidding! I know some really nice folks with Bayliners, They, the boats, may often be a problem, but that isn't the problem.
    I'm in those dead spots at least once a month in the summer, besides 2 VHF's and a Beacon, I carry my "aviation handheld". With this combination I feel pretty good about being able to raise someone in a reasonable amount of time. A VHF and the Aviation radio are always in the ditch bag, there is a EPIRB on my life jacket. I make it a point to check them at the start of each multi-day trip. The problem is being prepared with know how and the right equipment that is maintained and working. Hopefully, this is a good lesson for not only these "kids" but for others. I've sit for hours, listening to the VHF chatter when someone is having a problem, but I'm to far away to be of any help. I find it pretty interesting. At least no one was hurt this time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast