Thread: Which Sleeping Bag?

Default Which Sleeping Bag?

Packing up my gear so I can ship it up for an upcoming hunt. Flying in with 70 North and floating the Ivishak on the 29th. Debating between my North Face Aleutian 4s (0 Degree) and the 3s (20 Degree). I contemplated buying a new bag for the trip, but I already have 3 sleeping bags, so I am going to make one of these work. The 3s stuffs nicely into a compression sack and is much smaller in terms of packed size. I have used the 20 degree bag here in temperatures down to about 18 degrees and was really quite comfortable. I am leaning towards taking the 20 degree bag. Thoughts on whether its necessary to bring the 0 degree instead, despite its much larger packed size.

Thanks in advance.

Clean out your inbox......
    its full.
    BK

bkmail.. Done.

Thanks.

I would bring the 20 degree bag and a sleeping bag liner like the reactor. It keeps your weight to a minimum but allows you to raise the rating of your bag by up to 25 degrees. It will also help keep your bag cleaner.

With that said, the temps at night on the North Slope have been staying about 35 degrees.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    I would bring the 20 degree bag and a sleeping bag liner like the reactor. It keeps your weight to a minimum but allows you to raise the rating of your bag by up to 25 degrees. It will also help keep your bag cleaner.

With that said, the temps at night on the North Slope have been staying about 35 degrees.
    I agree with alaskabliss. Get a liner to use with the bag.

Using Anaktuvuk as a guide, you're not likely to get below 20 F until the second half of Sepetember. But having a bag that is rated for temps 15 degrees warmer than the overnight temps really sucks, as my brother can attest from last year's hunt. The Reactor liner looks like a nice way to stay warm if it's really cold or use the bag alone.

http://weatherspark.com/averages/329...-United-States

If I was you and you planned on doing any winter hunting or late season hunting, the wiggy sleeping bag is the best. It has two layers and for a hunt like this you can just use the first liner and if you are going on a colder hunt or camping.

What kind of hunt? If staying near the river I would take the zero degree bag. It was dang cold last year at that time. I carry a quilt for bivy purposes and I can survive a night on most any fall hunt with it and my puffy suit inside a teepee. Knowing that worst case I hunker down but have an overkill bag to turn to if i have to tuck tail has been good to me

Quote Originally Posted by MBURNS2244 View Post
    Packing up my gear so I can ship it up for an upcoming hunt. Flying in with 70 North and floating the Ivishak on the 29th. Debating between my North Face Aleutian 4s (0 Degree) and the 3s (20 Degree). I contemplated buying a new bag for the trip, but I already have 3 sleeping bags, so I am going to make one of these work. The 3s stuffs nicely into a compression sack and is much smaller in terms of packed size. I have used the 20 degree bag here in temperatures down to about 18 degrees and was really quite comfortable. I am leaning towards taking the 20 degree bag. Thoughts on whether its necessary to bring the 0 degree instead, despite its much larger packed size.

Thanks in advance.
    Get either the 25 or 15 degree Wiggy's bag from Wiggy's Alaska in Anchorage http://wiggys.com/category.cfm?category=27 . My wife and I have all sorts of Wiggy's bags and my next one is going to be one of the 25 degree bags from Marc, even though I really love my regular Wiggy's 20 degree bag. They are true to temperature and will won't suffer water failure like a down bag on a float hunt. I'm 5'6", 175 # and use a regular/wide; regular width will work until you start getting over 6' tall. The regular width is was too confining for my comfort.

The North Face Dark Star -40 bag was recommended to me for September in the Brooks. Now I'm wondering if I might be over-bagged if I go that warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post
    The North Face Dark Star -40 bag was recommended to me for September in the Brooks. Now I'm wondering if I might be over-bagged if I go that warm.
    You'll be cold because you won't be able to stay inside your bag - because it'll be too hot. I wouldn't take warmer than a zero-degree bag, and I probably would take my 20-degree Wiggy's bag.

I took my 0 degree back and it got a lil stuffy some nights first week of Sept with average temps. Better than freezing though

I'll arrive in Happy Valley a couple days after you. I hunt with 70 north every year. I take my 0 degree Montbell stretch mummy and it is just right for me. There have been years when I was up the Ivashak and it was 15 degrees at dawn. Good luck.