Thread: opinions .300 win mag

Default opinions .300 win mag

Based on current ammo situation I've bought my first press and have been all over the net and town chasing powder/primers. rl 22 and h-1000 would be my first choice but I can't find them. I've got 180 barnes ttsx bullets and they recommend 4831 and rl 22 with fed gm215m primers . I have a pound of 7828 and the burn rate falls between rl22 and h-1000. I can find cci 250 primers. Imr 7828 has recipes showing nosler 180 e tip and speer 180mt-sp. I can also find hornady brass. So does anyone have any recommendations good bad or indifferent on this combination...... 7828, cci 250 primer, 180 ttsx
    burn chart https://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

I had really good luck with 7828 federal primers and 180grn swift scirroccos.

I haven't been able to find federal primers yet but still looking

Premium Member

I haven't tried 7828, but most of my recipes work well with CCI primers.

My 300WinMag loads of choice are all 4831 and Retumbo based... I used to use H1000 with 264 WinMag, though. I have a couple of pounds of H1000, if you want to swap for it. PM me with what you have, if you want to swap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

pm sent, guns and labs

I would not get hung up on chasing Federal primers, primers, like powder, bullets and case selection are all part of a recipe, any combination may work, or not. Start with what components are available and refine as needed, what you start with may be all you need with nothing more than dialing in the charge.

FWIW, all of my handloads for all of my firearms use CCI primers, I have found the primer to be the most forgiving (less critical) component in the recipe.

ya I think I'm going with cci's and try some h 1000 and 7828 because both work between the .300 win and my 25.06. When my stuff arrives I'll be reading manuals for a week or two but if anyone in anchorage wants to give a newbie a first time once over in person that would be awesome.

There is data in the Barnes manual for the 180 TTSX/TSX using IMR 7828. The data in the manual for 7828 is SSC (super short cut) and I suspect you have 7828. IMR says load data in interchangeable, I originally thought differently until today. You should find a load of passable accuracy with that combo I would suspect. What are you shooting at?

A word to the wise:

Don't get hung up on velocity, but you will, we all do.
    Don't get real hung up on trying to get less than one MOA of accuracy, but you will, we all do.
    Don't think that you will save money. You will spend all sorts of dough on components and doodads, then you will shoot 10x as much.
    You will also need about 10 more guns. Let us know when you get a new gun because you found a good deal on bullets and brass.
    Read this forum for really great info but don't take it too seriously.

Welcome to the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    There is data in the Barnes manual for the 180 TTSX/TSX using IMR 7828. The data in the manual for 7828 is SSC (super short cut) and I suspect you have 7828. IMR says load data in interchangeable, I originally thought differently until today. You should find a load of passable accuracy with that combo I would suspect. What are you shooting at?

A word to the wise:

Don't get hung up on velocity, but you will, we all do.
    Don't get real hung up on trying to get less than one MOA of accuracy, but you will, we all do.
    Don't think that you will save money. You will spend all sorts of dough on components and doodads, then you will shoot 10x as much.
    You will also need about 10 more guns. Let us know when you get a new gun because you found a good deal on bullets and brass.
    Read this forum for really great info but don't take it too seriously.

Welcome to the club.
    That's some good information there. I did get barnes to send me all 180 .300 win recipes, good customer service there. I'll just be hunting and don't plan on getting hung on velocity but plans change like you said. I agree with all of what you said and will be reading up everything, everywhere. I've already actually bought a gun just because I had a box of shells laying around and figured "hey that's like $50 off. I used to shoot about 10 bullets a year so I'm quite sure that's going to be going up but at least I won't be wasting gas chasing sold out ammo every year. I plan on sighting in at 300 yds so velocity and drop will be more forgiving for my under 500yd shots

I personally zero my 300 win at 200 yards to give me a point blank range close to 300 yards. I shoot the 180 ttsx and the 180 etip from that gun with the nod to the etip for velocity and accuracy. Anything much over 300 yards is quite a bit harder to hit with acceptable accuracy to take game. The gun is just not set up to do it, and I am way out of practice for that kind of shooting. Reloading ammo gives you the opportunity to practice your long range skills and get the most accuracy out of your gun and not spend $200 a day at the range. The vast majority of game is within 200 yards around these parts, so I have most of my rifles set-up to take game within those ranges easily, and if a longer shot is available I know the distances I feel comfortable shooting to based on my practice time at the range and else where.

Get the book "ABC's of Reloading" excellent manual to begin the reloading process.

Have fun, and if you are going to shoot 300+, I will see you out at Birchwood sometime.

I have always zeroed at 200 before but I'm gonna try 300 this year. I shot my moose at 430 1 shot(range finder and knowing the drops is important) last year but part of reason was I didn't have a wheeler and my options were far more limited. I have my wheeler now so I can get myself into some better spots to start hunting and hopefully won't need to stretch it. My reloading gear made it today so i guess its time to do work

very pleased.... shot my first loads today with cci 250 primers h-1000 at 72g (minimum) and 74g both were sub MOA even without trickle loading to perfection. I'm sighted in at 250 yd so I'm just gonna load a pile and get to hunting. I can mess with my COAL and powder charges in my free time. I appreciate everyones input and especially the h-1000 trade from a member. Bullwinkle better run, better run faster than my bullet
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3ldsF65cLM