Thread: Ship Creek

Default Ship Creek

I was thinking of taking my girls dow today to fish for silver. I have lived in Alaska my whole life and always avoided it. What are the silvers biting on there? Eggs under a bobber or can the kids flip vibrex like they enjoy at other places?? high tide or low?

Thanks Kevin

Eggs and lures work fine...a lot of guys flip coho flies, too.

Wow 400+ reads n only 1 reply. Lets pay it forward guys. Ive always had luck with the med size vibrex, blue, purple, pink have worked well for me there. Eggs under bobber as well. Flossing when the tide is out. Be careful, very muddy. I would also recommend hitting it first thing in the morning. GL

Quote Originally Posted by jnct View Post
    Wow 400+ reads n only 1 reply. Lets pay it forward guys. Ive always had luck with the med size vibrex, blue, purple, pink have worked well for me there. Eggs under bobber as well. Flossing when the tide is out. Be careful, very muddy. I would also recommend hitting it first thing in the morning. GL
    Fished it this past weekend and saw a couple silvers taken but didn't see any real numbers.. Pink was the color of the morning. Bite was on at first light then died off around 8ish maybe. Soaked some eggs early but they didn't seem real interested. Now, that was on the bottom and I don't know if floating them under a bobber would have made a difference. Tossed green, yellow and pink pixies and 4 & 5 spinners as well.

All the above is pretty typical. Ship creek pretty much supports all techniques depending on where you are fishing and when. Flexibility and mobility are the difference between catching and skunking at Ship. There is a school of fish that floats up and down with the tide the trick is being where that school is at the right time with the right gear. It takes some work to really be good at it.

Low tide flipping is about the most successful.

as the tide comes in and out slowing the current roe under a bobber becomes is probably the most successful strategy, but it's short lived and timing and placing are everything.

at slack tides vibrax passes the time and occasionally picks off a fish. As above the color changes by the day and time.

Early morning is better than other times.

if you are down by the mouth in the slower water soaking eggs on the bottom can work. anything above the railway bridge you are better off floating it under a bobber.

I would try casting some kodiak customs. GI skirted spinners in right colors size 5 or 6 an hour before and after high tide on the lower end.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Thursday evening I fished the outgoing tide near the railroad bridge and see about 20 fish landed. they were mostly caught flipping. I fished Sunday morning on the outgoing and see only 2 fish kept and one of those was snagged. the inside turn by the railroad bridge appeared to be a good spot for roe under a bobber.

Caught my 5 fish limit today in about an hour and a half all on a pink flying c spinner.