Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which is the best rifle and sight for hunting deer?

Default Which is the best rifle and sight for hunting deer?

Short and quick question: Which is the best rifle and sights for hunting blacktails ?

Quote Originally Posted by Micky_Ireland View Post
    Short and quick question: Which is the best rifle and sights for hunting blacktails ?
    I suspect, given your past expressed interest, you intend you're question to be specific to SE(?). Unless you're on a beach, shot distances are generally not very great, and any medium to small bore revolver or rifle will do; shot placement is all that really matters. Once off the beaches and in the forest, light can become quite dim and illuminated sights will be your choice.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Winchester 94 with open sights. Best. Rifle. Ever. Take your pick; 44 for up close, 30-30 for longer shots (and cheaper ammo).

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Winchester 94 with open sights. Best. Rifle. Ever. Take your pick; 44 for up close, 30-30 for longer shots (and cheaper ammo).
    +2, although my 30-30 has a vortex 1.5-5x on it.
    I'm prolly out using my bow or 30-30

I would go with a stainless bolt action 7mm/08 and a 1.5-7 power scope set at the lowest setting.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I suspect, given your past expressed interest, you intend you're question to be specific to SE(?). Unless you're on a beach, shot distances are generally not very great, and any medium to small bore revolver or rifle will do; shot placement is all that really matters. Once off the beaches and in the forest, light can become quite dim and illuminated sights will be your choice.
    All depends on where you are hunting deer. For example, if you hunt deer in Kodiak you have to consider that very large bears (Kodiak bears) are present in this island. While the smaller deer in Kodiak can be hunted with a variety of rifles of small caliber, if you choose such a rifle you may want to carry a more powerful gun in case a brown bear comes-in to have you for dinner instead of sharing the deer you have killed.

But lets say that you hunt deer in Northern NY (around Plattsburgh and vicinity, for example), a lot of deer hunters in that area use a variety of rifles in 30-30-caliber because the hunting takes place around farms and such, or from tree stands.

Then if you hunt deer in the lower-48 States at places where long shots are the norm, you want to use a flat-shooting rifle, not necessarily a very powerful one (not a .500 Nitro) . For example, 7mm-08 and similar, a .30-06 with 150-grain bullets, and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    All depends on where you are hunting deer. For example, if you hunt deer in Kodiak you have to consider that very large bears (Kodiak bears) are present in this island. While the smaller deer in Kodiak can be hunted with a variety of rifles of small caliber, if you choose such a rifle you may want to carry a more powerful gun in case a brown bear comes-in to have you for dinner instead of sharing the deer you have killed.
    In that scenario, you go with the Winchester 94 in 44 magnum with 310 grain hard cast. 10+1 magazine and those bullets are flying a lot faster out of that 20" of barrel than the 4=6" on your Redhawk. Done. You're covered.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    Then if you hunt deer in the lower-48 States at places where long shots are the norm, you want to use a flat-shooting rifle, not necessarily a very powerful one (not a .500 Nitro) .
    In that scenario, I think you can't beat the original (not this WSSSSSSSSSM whatever crap) 243 Winchester. Shoots flat, long, and pin-pint accurate. Winchester Model 70 or, if you're on a tight budget, Savage 110. Pick whatever scope you like; the 243 is not going to beat it up. And on that note, it's not going to beat YOU up either.

What is considered a high end scope for this type of hunt? Is the vortex brand at the high end of the scale ? Thanks from Ireland.

What is considered a high end scope for this type of hunt? Is the vortex brand at the high end of the scale ? Thanks from Ireland.
    A lot of brands have both high end and low end scopes in their line to cover the mass of people. Personally I don't think spending thousands upon thousands is needed on a scope. However, you don't want to go cheap either. Personally, the only brands I stick to are either Leupold or Vortex. Look at those brands, they will have anything your looking for.

Micky Ireland is going to be hunting GMU2 (POW), if I recall from his boating/fishing posts. Get yourself a good rifle for deer and black bear. Check out the Ruger Hawkeye Stainless Laminate Compact in .308 I have one in .243 and it is a great handling accurate shooter that is a dream to carry. Put a 3x9 Leupold (any model) or Bushnell Elite on it (my favorite for Southeast because of the Rainguard lens coating that works!).

You can pick up the whole package from Log Cabin Sporting Goods in Craig on the Island (http://www.logcabinsports.com).

Sobie2

Not sure what your residency status is Mickey, but a non-resident alien needs a guide for ANY big game.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

High end price-wise or high end magnification-wise? As stated by Sobie2, this (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/727...ProductFinding), is a very good scope. Rifle - stainless steel, bolt action, laminated or synthetic stock, in a medium caliber probably 7mm-08, .308 Win, on up to the lighter magnums. Some people may hunt with a light cartridge in Alaska, but I wouldn't.

AR-15 would be my first choice. In a sport hunting application chambered in 6.8 SPC II
    And in a survival hunting application 5.56X45

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBoy View Post
    A lot of brands have both high end and low end scopes in their line to cover the mass of people. Personally I don't think spending thousands upon thousands is needed on a scope. However, you don't want to go cheap either. Personally, the only brands I stick to are either Leupold or Vortex. Look at those brands, they will have anything your looking for.
    I agree wholeheartedly. I would add the Redfield Revolution to that list. (Made in USA) I have one on my 243. I like it so far. I"m about to buy some more Redfield optics. They appear to be making decent stuff at sane prices. Appear to be anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Not sure what your residency status is Mickey, but a non-resident alien needs a guide for ANY big game.
    I'm not certain that is entirely accurate. I believe non res need a guide for sheep, goat and grizzly. I'm pretty sure the other stuff (moose, deer, caribou) are ok for self guided non res. Unless there is something special at that particular GMU.

I'm partial to the .300 Whelan
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    I'm not certain that is entirely accurate. I believe non res need a guide for sheep, goat and grizzly. I'm pretty sure the other stuff (moose, deer, caribou) are ok for self guided non res. Unless there is something special at that particular GMU.
    Negative. Non-resident 'alien' requires a guide for any species.

Back to the subject, I'd get a stainless bolt action and put a leupold on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Negative. Non-resident 'alien' requires a guide for any species.

Back to the subject, I'd get a stainless bolt action and put a leupold on top.

This is correct. Per page 10 of the 2014-2015 hunting regulations, ALL alien nonresident hunters must be accompanied by a registered Alaskan guide and the guide must be within 100 yards when the nonresident alien attempts to take any big game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    Micky Ireland is going to be hunting GMU2 (POW), if I recall from his boating/fishing posts. Get yourself a good rifle for deer and black bear. Check out the Ruger Hawkeye Stainless Laminate Compact in .308 I have one in .243 and it is a great handling accurate shooter that is a dream to carry. Put a 3x9 Leupold (any model) or Bushnell Elite on it (my favorite for Southeast because of the Rainguard lens coating that works!).
    I'll be hunting that same area next spring and using a Remington 700 30.06 stainless with synthetic stock topped with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40. Used that set up once up there and weapon and scope was fine. Carrying a S&W model 69 4.25" .44 as a side arm. Good luck on your hunt Micky.

Ruger m77 all weather in 30-06 w/ 3x9 scope.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast