Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep taxidermy recommendation

Default Sheep taxidermy recommendation

Gentlemen,

Looking for a recommendation on a sheep taxidermist. I'm in anchorage but will take where needed if I connect this year. I've changing taxidermists and have had minimal time in town to check shops out.

Thanks
    NRA life Member JVJ

Dan Williams of "Wildlife Artistry" in Palmer (907) 746-3922 does phenomenal sheep/goat mounts, and has won numerous awards here at Alaska SCI, he is currently doing a habitat lifesize ram for my wife.

He is @ the Matsu Sportsmans show every year.

Rich Hamilton @ Browtine Taxidermy in North Pole. He has sheep down to a science. Won't use anyone else. I'm sure there are several well accomplished artists in the state though. image.jpg

I strongly recommend that you stop and see Foster's taxidermy near Wasilla. I believe that you will be pleased there.

I'm sure Stid2677 will chime in, but from what I've seen, Dave Winney of Frontier Taxidermy does phenomenal work with sheep. I'm sure you could get detailed pics from Stid2677 if you PM him.

AZinAK

Larry McMurphy, at Woodland Taxidermy in the Valley.

If you take your sheep to Larry McMurphy at Woodland Taxidermy in Wasilla it will get mounted by Robert Holshouser. Robert is the only person to win a world championship with a dall sheep. If you want to see the sheep ,an example of Robert's work, it is in the Millennium Hotel at Lake hood. It is lifesize in a glass case. Besides having Robert mount your sheep, it will likely come back in 6 months or less because my understanding is that all Robert does these days is sheep. I took Larry a sheep a few years back in September and had it in hand by January. Some years, they are done before Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambistew View Post
    Larry McMurphy, at Woodland Taxidermy in the Valley.
    I have a Larry McMurphy sheep and bear. The sheep turned out really well. However, I thought he retired recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post
    I have a Larry McMurphy sheep and bear. The sheep turned out really well. However, I thought he retired recently?
    Just talked to him a week ago or so, not retired, just doing a bit less.

Joe Romero. Aurora Wildlife Arts.

Dan, Foster's, and Larry all do great work. Call them up or go visit their shops to pick your favorite.

sent from my igloo

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    Dan, Foster's, and Larry all do great work. Call them up or go visit their shops to pick your favorite.

sent from my igloo
    Fosters does great sheep and I would highly recommend him.. I may be biased, because I learned what I know from him ....

The big thing about choosing a taxidermist is to actually see their work in person... and take some printed photos of LIVE animals...close ups of the faces at various angles... compare the photos to the mounts.

Going by what 'lay people' say just doesn't work...80% of non taxidermists can't tell the difference between good and excellent taxidermy (or even 'fair' and 'excellent' taxidermy... I am not saying that is wrong, it just is...that is because the 'artistic' side of putting a mount together is learned over a long period of time and with experience and desire to do better with every mount...it is detail that makes a mount stand apart from others...... Anyone can put a skin and eyes and some clay on a form and sew it up...That is 'labor'...making it come to life...well...that is art, in the truest sense.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

IMG_0101.jpg

While not a dalls sheep. This short haired sheep shows off the anatomy and detail.
    Hugh
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

Quote Originally Posted by AZinAK View Post
    I'm sure Stid2677 will chime in, but from what I've seen, Dave Winney of Frontier Taxidermy does phenomenal work with sheep. I'm sure you could get detailed pics from Stid2677 if you PM him.

AZinAK
    +1 on Dave. I've seen 25 + sheep he's done and in my mind they are by far the best most lifelike mounts. he's a great guy to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Hughiam View Post
    IMG_0101.jpg

While not a dalls sheep. This short haired sheep shows off the anatomy and detail.
    Hugh
    Trans Caspian Urial, Found from Iran to Kazakhstan
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

Dahlberg's in Wasilla. He's done a few critters for me now and I've seen some of his sheep work. Very good quality. Jesse is Hoytguy on here. I'm bringing him a grizzly to shoulder mount, and he has done a caribou, musk ox and half mount mountain goat for me in the last couple years.

Foster's. Great to work with. Not afraid to show off his work at the shop. If you want your mount to last and not fall apart take it to Dan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    80% of non taxidermists can't tell the difference between good and excellent taxidermy
    I would say at least 80% of taxidermists cannot tell the difference between their taxidermy and excellent taxidermy either.

I would say that number reaches closer to 95% when you start talking cat mounts. Many a bobcat, lynx or mountain lion has been ruined once it was put into the hands of a taxidermist.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    I would say at least 80% of taxidermists cannot tell the difference between their taxidermy and excellent taxidermy either.

I would say that number reaches closer to 95% when you start talking cat mounts. Many a bobcat, lynx or mountain lion has been ruined once it was put into the hands of a taxidermist.
    Many taxidermists or some? I would venture to say that some taxidermists do wear rose colored glasses...and MANY are their own worst critics. Anyone who comes to my shop and asks me to point out mistakes I made or to critique my own work, I would gladly do so. Perfect, I am not..nor is any taxidermist.... I strive for excellence but my idea of excellence may not be the same as someone else's idea of excellence.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

image.jpgimage.jpg

Thanks Jerod,

I only do 5-6 sheep a year, here's the last one, picked up Saturday. 39" brooks ram

Dahlbergs Taxidermy
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast