Thread: pick-up-truck rental ?

Default pick-up-truck rental ?

hi there,
    me and my daughter are coming to alaska next month for almost three weeks. can someone tell us where we can get a good car rental? its so much different sides that we dont know what to choose. we thought about a SUV or a pick-up-truck. and how about the extra tax and so? and what must we be aware of whit rentals?
    hope you have suggestions, greetings from norway, ulrike

Quote Originally Posted by ulli64 View Post
    hi there,
    me and my daughter are coming to alaska next month for almost three weeks. can someone tell us where we can get a good car rental? its so much different sides that we dont know what to choose. we thought about a SUV or a pick-up-truck. and how about the extra tax and so? and what must we be aware of whit rentals?
    hope you have suggestions, greetings from norway, ulrike
    we use enterprise normally when we go to town. I've rented cars for as low as $8 a day to $180 a day. All depends on when you are coming. Unless you are going to be off roaring a regular car would be fine for just the two of you. Last time we rented a car it was a truck and we rented for a week. Truck cost was $100 for the whole week and taxes came out to another $89 for the week. This was back in May before summer rates. In winter I've rented all size cars for around $8 a day but after taxes it came out to $20 a day. I use orbitz or kayak to price check. I also use my own insurance and not sure how that would work for you since your not an American. I also do the prepay gas.

Default thanks so much

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    we use enterprise normally when we go to town. I've rented cars for as low as $8 a day to $180 a day. All depends on when you are coming. Unless you are going to be off roaring a regular car would be fine for just the two of you. Last time we rented a car it was a truck and we rented for a week. Truck cost was $100 for the whole week and taxes came out to another $89 for the week. This was back in May before summer rates. In winter I've rented all size cars for around $8 a day but after taxes it came out to $20 a day. I use orbitz or kayak to price check. I also use my own insurance and not sure how that would work for you since your not an American. I also do the prepay gas.
    thansk so much for a quick answer. i dont know how it is whit insurance. thats why i still thinking whit what i would be better of whit.
    i guess i have to ask people around the world then 😉 but i will take a look for the ones you wrote 👍 we are coming in september, a little of season i guess. we have gas but what do you mean whit prepay gas?

prepay gas at car rental: When you pick up the car it is full of gas. They expect you to return it full of gas. If you don't, they charge you a lot for them to fill it. The rental places offer you the choice of "prepaying" for a tank of gas (I don't know what they charge, they claim it's at a discount price) and then you can drop off the car with out worry about how much gas is in it.

I saved $16 a day in taxes and fees by riding the bus downtown ($2 each way) to pick up and drop off the car instead of picking it up at the airport.

thank you, i will look over whit the pick up :-D

i lookes up at orbitz and they have the best prices. but still, iam not an american, i cant use my insurance.
    when i wanna order the car from norway its just sooo much more expensive

I can't help on who has the best prices, but I'd suggest an SUV over a truck as we're entering the wettest time of the year and having to stuff all your gear in the cab of a truck to keep it dry gets old real fast. To me having the extra dry storage space of an SUV would be worth any added price. Not to mention if you get to a camping spot late at night that is wet, you can have the back seat in the SUV folded down and sleep in the back.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

thanks, that was a good advice ja :-D

i cant find better prices downtown.....

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    prepay gas at car rental: When you pick up the car it is full of gas. They expect you to return it full of gas. If you don't, they charge you a lot for them to fill it. The rental places offer you the choice of "prepaying" for a tank of gas (I don't know what they charge, they claim it's at a discount price) and then you can drop off the car with out worry about how much gas is in it.

I saved $16 a day in taxes and fees by riding the bus downtown ($2 each way) to pick up and drop off the car instead of picking it up at the airport.

i cant find better prices downtown and orbitz have lots of different prices on different days 😞

Quote Originally Posted by ulli64 View Post
    i cant find better prices downtown and orbitz have lots of different prices on different days 
    We use orbitz and normally most places are very applicable in their prices. When that is the case we go with Enterprise.

ok,thanks a lot 😊