Thread: What type of boat does everyone use to hunt ducks

Default What type of boat does everyone use to hunt ducks

Now that we only have thirty days I thought I would start a new thread. Ill be using my EBAD
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

This year I redid a 14ft waco jon boat. That'll be my puddle duck boat and for sea ducks I'll be using my 25ft Bayliner for the over night stuff and my 20ft fishrite for day tripping sea ducks.. I am really looking forward to using the jon after all the work I did to it.

1448 Lowe W/ 23 HP Mud Buddy S.D., Avery quick set blind. I have had this set up for about 8 seasons and am still very pleased with it. Should probably think abouting put some floatation pods on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by PCnAK View Post
    1448 Lowe W/ 23 HP Mud Buddy S.D., Avery quick set blind. I have had this set up for about 8 seasons and am still very pleased with it. Should probably think abouting put some floatation pods on the back.
    I am running a waco 1836 and it's really similar in size. How shallow of water can you run yours in. I'm thinking of putting a 20hp jet on it so I can run skinnier water.

1852 Alweld with a "tweaked" 35 hp GD SD and the newly acquired airboat.

CPOT what type of tweaking did you do to it
    Quote Originally Posted by cpot View Post
    1852 Alweld with a "tweaked" 35 hp GD SD and the newly acquired airboat.

Great question...I have been asking myself the same thing. I plan on hunting the mud lake and smith lake area this fall, but am stuck on a reasonable priced option to get up in there. Don't need a motor (or so I have been told) and need room for decoys and dog. Have thought of a straight forward canoe, but also saw the fishing flats kayak at bass pro flyer. Any advice?

to get to the better spot like Swan lake and leaf lake you could paddle but it would take you a while. I have a cabin by swan lake in my old boat with a 27 horse pro drive it would take about 20 minutes. Thats not to day the hunting isnt good at Mud lake but I think its better up higher. Can you fit decoys and dog in the Kayak if not go wtih canoe but a small flat bottom with a mudmotor would serve you much better

Default Got another question...

Sky bust thanks for the advice. I haven't driven up Maud rd but plan on a recon soon to see what the out in is like. A good friend of mine that recently moved down to Mississippi after many years here went there often. He's the one that suggested it. I think Adrian had a 12 foot John boat with gator tail or something like that. Anyway, trying to figure it out. Well no time like the present to figure it out. Feels like I am forever behind on my planning. Your suggestion of a flat bottom canoe makes me think of the pirogues from down lin Louisiana that I hunted from. I looked at the map again and see that I was calling Jim lake smith lake in my first post. Where do you put in? Jim lake or the first slew that closest to the road? Do folks normally meet up before sunup and make sure that they're not hunting on top of each other? Thanks for the million questions.

Don't trust people you talk to at the landing. We had our boat in the water at this spot and a guy rolled up and we came to find out we were headed to the same spot. He said you guys got here first so you can hunt it. We said cool so we slowly made our way up river. Got to the spot and he was there already. He sprinted through the alders to beat us. I asked if he wanted to hunt together and he said no. I told him it would be better for both of us. He wasn't having it so we went to the other side of the lake and proceeded to pull every duck we could off of him because of his actions earlier in the morning. We had our 16 before he had 4. Oh ya he also decided to let his dog run over to us and destroy our blind we had to scramble to make before shooting hours. Rant over sorry for hi jack. Lesson learned don't always trust people at the launch

Sent while partying

Alaska swamp man pro staff
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Grumman Sport Boat. Probably use either a 4hp Evinrude or 9.9 Johnson, both 2 strokes. Still up in the air if I'll even get to go or not.

I have a 16 foot Koffler driftboat I sometimes use.
    usually I walk in to most of the spots I hunt.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Tony,
    Been a couple of days since I looked at the forum...
    I am still amazed at how shallow (as in, at times more mud/swamp goo than water) my set up will run. I was very conscious of weight when I put my boat together and I think that helps. The 1448 riveted Lowe is one of the lighter jons, and my motor is Mud buddy "light". I have kept accessories to the minimum (blind, led floor lighting, two tractor lights and a power outlet for the spotlight) and used 1/4 plywood for the floors. With that said when on step I can get it into spots that can be hard to get out of. Learned that the hard way.I ry to find a hole to sit in so I can get momentum going to get out. The added benefit of being light is I have always been able to get out if I have hung myslf up. I have been in bigger fancier heavier rigs that we hung up and it was painfull getting out...like hours of effort.

PCnAK

Hey Tony just curious as to where people hunt ducks around here? I just moved to Sterling and work in Kenai and have been wanting to get into duck hunting for awhile now. I have a 15' zodiac with a 20HP prop so I'm not sure where I'll be able to get to but I don't mind hiking into spots either.

I run a 16ft flat bottom with a homemade longtail. If I were to upgrade I would down size to a 13ft layout boat with a small surface drive.

I did the carb, Black Death intake, and exhaust from BPS last fall. Made a huge difference in performance, well worth the money.

This is what I'll be hunting out of
    Attached Images Attached Images
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    This is what I'll be hunting out of
    I don't mean to pick on you, but you really should clear off that trailer and get a boat instead of that pile of weeds

Just finished the flex seal coat on Justin's old boat. This is going to look sharp when completed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.