Thread: alternative to mountain house?

Default alternative to mountain house?

in previous threads some mentioned vaccum sealing pre-cooked meals for walk-in hunts... i'm curious to know if anyone has experimented with making your own "mountain house" type meals. seems like it should be relatively easy: vacuum seal some dehydrated meat, vegetables, pasta/instant rice, and seasonings...then just add boiling water. anyone have success with this, or tips/recipes you'd be willing to share?

It is simple, take your homeade chile, stew, stroganoff, soup, spagetti, ect. pour it on celophane on the racks of your dehydrator. Once it is started to solidify crumble it up pull the celophane, and finish dehydrating it. Much better than Mt. house. Make sure and punch a hole through the center of the celophane at the center of your rack. If you don't want to make it yourself buy it in the can and dehydrate that. Try fruit, make your own jerky, the list goes on. It reduces to one quarter the original weight. Also cut your potatoes small as they take more time to rehydrate.

Default easy

just like you said is the way i do it, pre cook some beans, rice, pasta, stew or what ever and vacuum seal it, then booil in water

Default were can one get a dehydrater

Hope i am not jumping this thread but would like to know where in Anchorage can a guy get a large dehydrater that will last a while.we get a ton of fresh stuff at the end of the season and a lot goes to waste.i do a lot of vacum packing for my hunting but do not dry my food for i have a freezer at camp.but would like to start.any suggestions on types and brands?

gusuk1,

Try Alaska Butcher Supply over in MT. View. Excellent products and service.

Default try here

http://forums.backpacker.com/eve

This place is a GREAT source of info

Default Options

I vacume seal a lot of left overs in small quantities, then just put them in the jetboil and add some water and they are done faster than a MH. you have to freeze them though. It's nice to be way out and have real biscuts & gravy and come hunting season I have a buffet of choices to eat.

What I would like though is for the guy's that dry stuff for the light weight to actually give some measurements of dried food and boiling water and what they are using for a re-hydrating container!

BowshopMonkey, the amount really varies according to # of persons eating, etc. Play with it at home & go from there. For instance if you are doing chili lay out what you would consider a meal for your self & then dehydrate that portion. After that experiment. I usually try & break stuff up & put it in a freezer bag quality (heavy) ziplock. The smaller you break up the pieces the quicker it will rehydrate. When I go to rehydrate I usually just add enough water (warm if you have it) to the baggie to cover the food. If I need to I can always add more. After it starts softening up a bit you can knead the bag a little, but don't get wild & puncture it. When it's rehydrated you can simply drop the bag in warm or boiling water for a few minutes to heat the pre-cooked food.

The good thing is you can as someone mentioned use leftovers to experiment with at home, & since you sren't using expensive out of the ordinary stuff experimenting is easy. Make it one day & take it to work the next day for lunch. See how long it takes to rehydrate etc (and warm it in the microwave).
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Talking Ask and ye shall recieve

Quote Originally Posted by Bowshop Monkey View Post
    What I would like though is for the guy's that dry stuff for the light weight to actually give some measurements of dried food and boiling water and what they are using for a re-hydrating container!

another result from my aimless wondering of the WWW.

http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/index.htm

Lujon, that is a great site.
    I have hung out there for a while. I bought their book & it's worth it, but mostly reciepes, & not much how to.
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default I have the book as well.

When you guy's expirienemt and things work out, give us some specifics. I try all kind of things just for giggles but I will be the first to say that there are some things that are better off not fooled with and some things that take forever to re-hydrate.

Here is an exaple, ground burger or sausage patties work well and if to much water is used to hydrate it becomes a light gravy, pretty hard to screw up. A Warning for those that expirienemt just to see if it works. DO NOT try this with a hotdog!

Another good success story is my spahetti sauce.
    Did a 5 day wilderness canoe trip in the Swan Lake area with our youth group. The menu item for the second night was spagetti. Last year we carried it in in the quart plastic jars & it was heavy as well as bulky (4 jars). This year I dehydrated 4 jars (Ragu I believe, with mushrooms & garlic) on 4 seperate cookie sheets. Broke up each cookie sheet woth into small pieces & put it into a sandwitch size ziplock. The kids were a little sceptical when they saw it, but it rehydrated great & they were amazed. I just poured all 4 sanwich bags into the cooking pot & then put in just enough warm water to cover them.
    Completely rehydrated in about an hour. Now if I can just figure out how to dehydrate garlic bread for next year (I guess that's called crutons. Rehydrating would be the problem)......
    Vance in AK.

Make the Garlic bread at home Vac pack and take with you just heat in boiling water you have it.