Thread: What do you guys use?

Default What do you guys use?

So headed out fishing for pike. Just curious what you guys do to protect your hands from those teeth. I watched a guy unhooking a big (40") pike get bit. It sliced his fingers like they were nothing. We put leather gloves on after that and I still had one puncture my insulated leather glove and draw blood. So what do you use and where can I get it in fairbanks?

why are you putting your fingers in its mouth? By using a pair of pliers when you take the hook out and not putting your fingers in its mouth you will never get bit. I have caught thousands of pike and never been bit unless I put my fingers inside the mouth.

After a 5 minute thought we thought he was out of fight. His fingers were no where near the mouth. The fish jumped out of the water and grabbed him.

Mouth spreaders & needle nose pliers.

If I've fished pike for a week straight I might throw on a leather batting glove because you inevitably get nicks and cuts after handling a hundred or so fish.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Yes I always carry a jaw spreader and use pliers usually my Gerber Multitool.
    They make a couple of different sizes of jaw spreadeers too.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Rapala makes puncture resistance gloves made for sharp toothy fish. i picked mine up at Sports Authority, but im not sure they even have a fishing dept. anymore but u can check.
    Got to look good even in defeat. IMAGE is everything.

Yeah, a fish cleaning glove (Lindy, Rapala) would help in handling, but with the proper release tools mentioned above you should be OK. And those gloves are really made to prevent knife cuts, more so than punctures, so actually probably not worth a special purchase.

Fished Northerns and Muskies my whole life back home, never once used a glove nor got bit. Lings are worse than Northens, net him, unhook him and send him home. You could use a cradle for big fish, makes it a little easier too.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by traveler View Post
    Yeah, a fish cleaning glove (Lindy, Rapala) would help in handling, but with the proper release tools mentioned above you should be OK. And those gloves are really made to prevent knife cuts, more so than punctures, so actually probably not worth a special purchase.
    Yeah sorry they are for punctures and sharp gill plates. they are not a fish cleaning glove even though you can wash them. yes they are pricey at about 50 . But you can grab pikes mouth and open them to get hooks out of their mouth with out worries. sometimes fish start to thrash around removing hooks. thats what they are for
    Got to look good even in defeat. IMAGE is everything.