Thread: Swanneck sloug/Tolovana/Chatinika Minto

Default Swanneck sloug/Tolovana/Chatinika Minto

Whats the access like on these three rivers. Looking at doing a moose hunt and loolking for some advice on this area. feel free to PM me.

Well you pretty much have four options. Put in at Nenana and go down the Tanana to swanneck slough, put in the backside of murphy dome on the Chatanika, put in the Chatanika at the Elliott highway, or drive to Minto and put in there.
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

with respect to Swanneck Slough, i usually put in at nenana and it takes about an hour and a half going down. i have had trouble entering/exiting the slough during low water at its uptstream side near old minto, but thats with a prop. Its neat area, and i've had some success down there.

Not to be a grouch, but you've declared that you are going moose/bear/caribou hunting on about fifteen different rivers this year. Do you have any specific questions about any of these planned hunts, or will the pandering continue through hunting season? At least beg on behalf of some juvenile if you're going to continue. There is more information than you could ever read if you just use the search function.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Not to be a grouch, but you've declared that you are going moose/bear/caribou hunting on about fifteen different rivers this year. Do you have any specific questions about any of these planned hunts, or will the pandering continue through hunting season? At least beg on behalf of some juvenile if you're going to continue. There is more information than you could ever read if you just use the search function.
    Just looking for updated I formation not sure where I'm going just pondering locations.thanks for your information. Anything constructive to add?

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota boy View Post
    Just looking for updated I formation not sure where I'm going just pondering locations.thanks for your information. Anything constructive to add?
    Sure. I think with the high water levels you should be fine to run a boat in the Chat. Watch out for logs and wear your life jacket.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

You can trailer a boat down from Murphy Dome to the Chatanika boat launch. Might be a rough road but heard a rumor it has been improved.
    The mouth of the Tolovana is a long drive from Nenana in your boat.
    Likely there will be plenty of other hunters.
    Good luck
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

There is the option of driving to Manley. You are hauling your moose down river that way. I would not leave a truck/trailer parked at Minto. Would never put in at Minto to do anything....

Parking sucks at the end if Murphy dome. And it's very limited. I doubt 12 trucks and trailers can park there. And that's a long way to drive just to do a u turn. Also the water is pretty shallow that far upstream. Making boat launch hard and coming up without a jet is hard.

Default Minto

Is this from personal experience or just hearsay? I've hunted out of Minto for six years and a number of my friends have hunted from Minto as well and I've never had an issue nor have my friends, only ever had pleasant dealings with the local Minto people. I have heard that they now have a specific parking area for non-Minto folks though.
    Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    There is the option of driving to Manley. You are hauling your moose down river that way. I would not leave a truck/trailer parked at Minto. Would never put in at Minto to do anything....
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................