Thread: Beekeeping

Default Beekeeping

Just wondering if anyone out there is keeping bees this year and how are they doing? Honey harvest time is almost here. How much did ya get?
    My 2 Interior hives are doing horrible- probably too much rain not enough flowers bloomed.

My 2 Anchorage hives are doing ok. Not as good as I would like but better than the interior hives
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

I've always been very intrigued with beekeeping; never done it myself though. How do you go about establishing a colony? Just buy a queen and some workers and plant them? Do they just venture out and gather pollen from neighboring gardens/plants, and return to their 'hive'? There are some guys who do it here in southeast and it sounds like they did pretty well this year. Every beekeeper/worker I talk to tells me about the impeding disappearance of bees due to whatever reasons (disease etc...). I don't know much about the whole process, but love honey. I usually buy 4 or 5 different types every time I go to Hawaii.

Quote Originally Posted by mntransplant View Post
    Just wondering if anyone out there is keeping bees this year and how are they doing? Honey harvest time is almost here. How much did ya get?
    My 2 Interior hives are doing horrible- probably too much rain not enough flowers bloomed.

My 2 Anchorage hives are doing ok. Not as good as I would like but better than the interior hives