Thread: Goat/Elk hides

Default Goat/Elk hides

I got super lucky this year and drew a Kodiak Goat (DG474) AND Afognak Elk (DE723). My plan is to fly in to Terror Lake area on the 1st of Oct, hunt for up to 7 days, get picked up and flown to Afognak from Terror Lake (Roland at Seahawk Air).
    My question is regarding the hides; When the hide will be sitting for an extended period of time (2 weeks), is it necessary to salt the hide, or is fleshing it good enough? I think I aughtta go visit a taxidermist and get the lowdown but I figured I should at least have a clue before I go in. All the extended hunts i've been on i've never brought the hide or cape home. Here's to a safe and memorable hunting season!
    James
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

Default Goat/Elk hides

You must absolutely salt the hide, unless you can have it frozen for you AND you trust someone with that responsibility.

Even salting it in that environment your going to have trouble keeping it dry unless you can bring it in a heated cabin or something.

Quote Originally Posted by mntransplant View Post
    I got super lucky this year and drew a Kodiak Goat (DG474) AND Afognak Elk (DE723). My plan is to fly in to Terror Lake area on the 1st of Oct, hunt for up to 7 days, get picked up and flown to Afognak from Terror Lake (Roland at Seahawk Air).
    My question is regarding the hides; When the hide will be sitting for an extended period of time (2 weeks), is it necessary to salt the hide, or is fleshing it good enough? I think I aughtta go visit a taxidermist and get the lowdown but I figured I should at least have a clue before I go in. All the extended hunts i've been on i've never brought the hide or cape home. Here's to a safe and memorable hunting season!
    James
    Do bring salt and DO learn how to take care of your hide. You will be all the happier if you do...and so will your taxidermist

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!