Thread: Kayak fishing from Seward or Whittier?

Default Kayak fishing from Seward or Whittier?

I really want to try jig'n for rockfish from a kayak but don't want to pay for a water taxi. Has anyone launched from either Seward or Whittier harbors in a kayak and need successful? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sprink907 View Post
    I really want to try jig'n for rockfish from a kayak but don't want to pay for a water taxi. Has anyone launched from either Seward or Whittier harbors in a kayak and need successful? Thanks
    Can it be done? Yes. But don't expect success rates like on a power boat. The one fish I haven't been able to target out of a kayak without water taxi is ling cod. The second fish is larger rockfish. Pretty much anything else, I can target successfully from a kayak so far.

In Whittier, you can find small rockfish just out of Smitty Cove or across the bay by the Kittiwake rookery. But they will typically be less than 12 inches. The farther you go the better. I have caught really nice rockfish in Blackstone Bay but I was water taxi'd out. So if you can make it out at least towards Shotgun Cove, they will start increasing in size.

Seward, I have caught some really nice rockfish out by Caines Head. Dropped deep during a break in trolling for silvers and managed a nice yellow eye in 300ft of water.

Never fast action. Rarely something you can fillet. But they are there!

My blog entry for that yellow eye
    http://guidesak.blogspot.com/2011/08...d-2.html#links

Blog entry for March Whittier fishing where I caught a rockfish.
    http://guidesak.blogspot.com/2011/03...ght.html#links

Unfortunately I haven't updated my blogs since January this year, but I've mainly been targeting halibut so far this year.

In Seward, put in across the bay near 4rth of July creek and paddle the shore out the bay. Plenty of rockfish off the rocky pts and cliffs there. Some spots noticably better than others. Nothing real big but lots of fun on rubber tail jigs and twelve pound test.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Hey cod!! The man who helped convince me it could be done off a kayak in AK! Fishing much?

I got to try that area. Every-time I've tried I've had wind issues...and not many fish. But I know others have had success there. Great call. I may give it a try and see about late chums and early cohos.