Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steyr Scout, Anyone here have or had one? Opinions?

Default Steyr Scout, Anyone here have or had one? Opinions?

I wonder just how reliable and accurate the Steyr Scout rifle might be... ???
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I read a lot about Jeff Cooper in the 1980'S during it's development. 308 or 376. Both had to do well out to 200 yards. The 376 is close to 375 h&h power.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

I am curious about:

1. How well the magazines hold up?
    2. What type of extractor they use?
    3. Can the bolt be totally disassembled without special tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I am curious about:

You know you could make your own. It was the reason I made my canoe gun and wrote that backwoodsman article. Buy a zavasta, have it cut down and put on a long eye relief scope. That way you could have it in more then two calibers.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

G'Day Fella's,

Float Plain, I haven't owned a Steyr Scout myself but a bloke I know has them in .223, 7-08, .308 and .376 Steyr (both Blued and Stainless)!
    They are totally reliable and a practical, handy sized working rifle and he is very happy with them!!!

Hope that helps

D'oh!
    Homer

I read that the 376 version is no longer being made.

You would think that rifle would be a perfect match for a 338 Federal or 358 Winchester chambering.

It's been about 5 years, but I put about 40 rounds down range in one. It was kind of cool with that built in bipod and all, but I personally wouldn't own it. Maybe it was the huge reticle of the included Leupy long eye relief scope, but I could only get 2.5" out of it off a Lead Sled. Ammo was a mix of LC Special Ball, Federal GMM 168, and my handloads of 44gr Varget pushing a 168 SMK.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have fired one at the range with the same results using the scout scope. I cannot properly use a scout scope due to the fact that both my eyes are dominant. ( I can shoot either handed and with either eye. But I have to close one or else I see double cross hairs. )

So if I had something like that I would just put a regular scope on it...

FP- I've had one or another since 1998.

I wrote a couple of review pieces you can find http://hodgemansoutdoors.blogspot.co...ifleredux.html

and http://hodgemansoutdoors.blogspot.co...dux-redux.html

If your thinking about one- by all means look up Fr. Frog's Steyr Scout pages- he's the most knowledgeable guy on them in the States I've met since Cooper's passing.

I frankly love mine and it's the most consistently accurate rifle I own once you figure out how to aim it with the heavy plex. The first one I had, I installed a German #1 Post and it was much better than the heavy duplex.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    FP- I've had one or another since 1998.

I wrote a couple of review pieces you can find http://hodgemansoutdoors.blogspot.co...ifleredux.html

and http://hodgemansoutdoors.blogspot.co...dux-redux.html

If your thinking about one- by all means look up Fr. Frog's Steyr Scout pages- he's the most knowledgeable guy on them in the States I've met since Cooper's passing.

I frankly love mine and it's the most consistently accurate rifle I own once you figure out how to aim it with the heavy plex. The first one I had, I installed a German #1 Post and it was much better than the heavy duplex.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.
    Enjoyed those write ups. Good information and good writing.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    You know you could make your own. It was the reason I made my canoe gun and wrote that backwoodsman article.
    That's hardly a valid comparison.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    That's hardly a valid comparison.

Smitty of the North
    Cooper wanted a 1) fast handling gun, 2) accurate out to two hundred meters, 3) chambered in a readily available cartridge. Now on coopers simple 3 wants it fits perfectly. You can build one easily enough in several different rifles out there. Zavasta still makes a mauser action which you can buy in several calibers which can be cut down to size. Put on a different stock and scope it and you have the essence of what Jeff wanted. In the end I scoped that canoe gun. Ruger also makes one but you could do it cheaper yourself and have exactly what you want in any caliber you wanted.

Edwin Hubble

I am curious about:

To answer your question specifically-
    1. No issues with the magazines to date.
    2. It's a three lug bolt with a sako style extractor- not as robust as a Winchester CRF but I've not had any issues with it either even shooting some sketchy ammo.
    3.The bolt can be mostly disassembled without any tools but expect to see some different stuff in there. There are also a couple of variations of the SBS 96 bolt. The earlier ones had adjustable tension on the firing pin spring. The later ones do not.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Germanic engineering... why only use 5 parts when you can do the same thing with 15 parts.

That rolling safety on the Steyr looks interesting... and posibbly complicated.

Germanic engineering... why only use 5 parts when you can do the same thing with 15 parts.

That rolling safety on the Steyr looks interesting... and posibbly complicated.
    It also allows you to lock the bolt down with a round in the chamber. and it rotates the firing pin out of the way on a cam. Apparently Bavarians like to keep one hot as well.

But yes- a whole bunch of wee little parts assembled by gnomes in a factory powered by unicorn flatulence and fairy magic.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Cooper wanted a 1) fast handling gun, 2) accurate out to two hundred meters, 3) chambered in a readily available cartridge. Now on coopers simple 3 wants it fits perfectly. You can build one easily enough in several different rifles out there. Zavasta still makes a mauser action which you can buy in several calibers which can be cut down to size. Put on a different stock and scope it and you have the essence of what Jeff wanted. In the end I scoped that canoe gun. Ruger also makes one but you could do it cheaper yourself and have exactly what you want in any caliber you wanted.
    So, you get a rifle, and saw the barrel off to the legal limit, and "Presto you have a Scout Rifle"? That equals "fast handling", "accuracy"? Do you have any idea, WHY the rifle you butchered, originally had a MUCH LONGER barrel?

I think the barrel on your "Canoe Gun" is way too short for "accuracy", or practical shooting. The Steyr Scout has a 19" barrel, also many other features, besides a short barrel and a forward mounted scope.

Besides, there must be millions of rifles that meet those "Simple 3 wants". Are they also "Scout Rifles"?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    So, you get a rifle, and saw the barrel off to the legal limit, and "Presto you have a Scout Rifle"? That equals "fast handling", "accuracy"? Do you have any idea, WHY the rifle you butchered, originally had a MUCH LONGER barrel?

I think the barrel on your "Canoe Gun" is way too short for "accuracy", or practical shooting. The Steyr Scout has a 19" barrel, also many other features, besides a short barrel and a forward mounted scope.

Besides, there must be millions of rifles that meet those "Simple 3 wants". Are they also "Scout Rifles"?

Smitty of the North
    200 yard accuracy isnt all that hard with a short barrel. Also it depends on what you want to do with it. Pie plate at 200? 4",2",1" .5"? Shoot a man size, moose size or mouse size? Yes, I do think it is that easy to make one. If it was all that hard the price would be higher. Why dont you spend the dime and make one? Then we can compare notes. That 16" barrel shot just fine out to 200 for what I was shooting at. Did it shoot 1" groups, no, pie plate? Yes. My grandfather for 40 years used a cut down mauser that was customised by williams gun sight. Original German barrel cut to 17", crown job and scope. He easily every year shot his deer at distances out to and a little past 200 yards. 40 years of dead whitetails. I think that would kill most Alaska big game.

Jeff Cooper must have seen similar things being done with post war guns for years. Williams had printed up ways to do just that in the 1950's minus the long eye relief scope but using a standard one. Neither the concept or idea is mystical and I dont believe all his own.

So spent some cash and make one. Oh, why did it have a longer barrel? Study guns long? Older powders mean anything? That was the age of cordite not 4064.

Edwin Hubble

I thought FP was asking about the Steyr.

I didn't know he was asking how to make a scout rifle.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I thought FP was asking about the Steyr.
    Click-click.....

Why not make your own?

Edwin Hubble

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast