Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: resizing,what am i doin wrong?

Default resizing,what am i doin wrong?

I have not had this problem before, only been doing this for 4 years. After resizing brass the shells won't fit well in chamber. Bolt closes but its very stiff, with or without bullet so I know it's not a seating problem. Brass is 325 wsm, 200 grn tsx, kimber montana rifle. Thanx.

Quote Originally Posted by t-storm View Post
    I have not had this problem before, only been doing this for 4 years. After resizing brass the shells won't fit well in chamber. Bolt closes but its very stiff, with or without bullet so I know it's not a seating problem. Brass is 325 wsm, 200 grn tsx, kimber montana rifle. Thanx.
    You need to bump the shoulder back just a bit more. Screw your sizing die down in small increments until the bolt closes on an empty case easily.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Make sure your primers are seated all the way as well. If they are protruding, it will increase your overall case length.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Maybe try a head space gauge to be sure everything is in spec and be sure to trim cases to spec.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Double check the instructions for your reloading dies as they are pretty specific. I changed my press and forgot a step when I set-up my RCBS sizing die and had the same issue you are having. I read the instructions a second time, spotted the RCBS "cam over" portion that I missed and was back in business.

New unfired brass, or previously fired from that very rifle? If new then do as Stid suggested and full length resize, you have a small chamber, probably minimum dimensions. If previously fired from your rifle, you should be able to just neck resize, but check OAL of the brass, the neck likely needs trimming. One more possibility is that you are resizing too tight and are actually flaring the shoulder and deforming the case, look at them closely or put a straight edge along side the case.

fired from my rifle. I think is was too tight, they don't appear to be flared but I remember it being a little tight to run through the die, lubed.
    Thanks everybody, I'll will check all these things when I get back home and hopefully get it right.
    T

A headspace gauge is your friend. Keep us posted.

Just had the same problem. Multiple fired cases (~4 times). Inspected the cases and found wrinkles on the shoulders. So, inspect the cases carefully and chuck any with deformations.

Quote Originally Posted by AKChester View Post
    Just had the same problem. Multiple fired cases (~4 times). Inspected the cases and found wrinkles on the shoulders. So, inspect the cases carefully and chuck any with deformations.
    Wrinkled shoulders, can be caused by excess case lube. The excess lube pools around the neck and dents the case. At least it has happened to me.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by t-storm View Post
    You need to bump the shoulder back just a bit more. Screw your sizing die down in small increments until the bolt closes on an empty case easily.
    Subsequent to the above good advice, you've confirmed that the brass came out of the same gun/chamber it's going back into. The brass fit the chamber when it was extracted from the gun; your description indicates it has subsequently grown slightly in length during the sizing process.... What occurs during the final operation of sizing is that as you raise the press handle and extract the case from the sizing die, the neck sizing button is pulled through the case neck to set the inside diameter of the neck. If you have excessive friction and drag between the sizing ball and the inside of the case neck, the case shoulder can be pulled forward in the process. Cases with sharp shoulder angles (like the WSM's) are more susceptible to this. Make sure your expander ball is undamaged and in good shape, use a small amount of case lube inside the case necks, and be gentle when you pull the ball through the necks. Problem solved.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Subsequent to the above good advice, you've confirmed that the brass came out of the same gun/chamber it's going back into. The brass fit the chamber when it was extracted from the gun; your description indicates it has subsequently grown slightly in length during the sizing process.... What occurs during the final operation of sizing is that as you raise the press handle and extract the case from the sizing die, the neck sizing button is pulled through the case neck to set the inside diameter of the neck. If you have excessive friction and drag between the sizing ball and the inside of the case neck, the case shoulder can be pulled forward in the process. Cases with sharp shoulder angles (like the WSM's) are more susceptible to this. Make sure your expander ball is undamaged and in good shape, use a small amount of case lube inside the case necks, and be gentle when you pull the ball through the necks. Problem solved.

X2 to the above

brass needs trimming-IT'S TO LONG

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Wrinkled shoulders, can be caused by excess case lube. The excess lube pools around the neck and dents the case. At least it has happened to me.
    Imperial wax will eliminate, or at least minimize this.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Quote Originally Posted by reelhook View Post
    brass needs trimming-IT'S TO LONG
    G'Day Fella's,

T-storm, if it is not as Reel Hook suggested, your cases may need trimming, here is a helpful trick I use for adjusting resizing dies.

I get a medium size (1/8") Black or Blue "Texta" or Marker Pen and run 2 or 3 equally spaced lines down the side of one case, from the case mouth down the side of the case. If you are neck sizing, just place the ink on the neck of the case if you are FLS the cases, make sure you get some on the shoulder of the case
    Once the ink has dried, lube the cases and put the case in the shell holder on your press and insert the case into the die.
    Then remove the case and see where the marker pen ink has been rubbed off or removed. Make adjustments to your sizing die, re mark the case with ink again and repeat until you achieve what it is you want to achieve!

I have been doing this for longer than I care to remember but it is simple and works very well for this task!

Hope that helps

D'oh!
    Homer

It is not uncommon for the WSM family to need a slight bit of "cam over" with the FL screwed down maybe 1/16th passed contact with the shell holder. I did this with more than a couple WSM Montana's.
    Keep us posted.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Clever bit of detective work, BUT I'm inclined to agree with stid for the following reasons.

I seriously doubt that it is possible for the sizing button to pull neck forward enough to decrease headspace. (I know that it is a common belief, but I consider it dubious at best.)

A fired case should fit the chamber fine, and chamber with no difficulty.

When you FL size a case, the shoulder is often squeezed enough to cause the shoulder to move forward, (decreasing headspace) and the shoulder then must be pushed back again, hopefully to it's proper size. If it is not bumped back enough, it chambers hard.

Dat's what I think de problem be.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

As I alluded to earlier, a headspace gauge will take all guesswork out. You set the benchmark by recording the unfired brass or unfired factory round.
    You then measure how much the headspace has changed after the case was fired - maybe .002" up to .007" - each chamber is different.
    The "before and after" measurements tells you how much you need to set back the headspace.
    It is important to realize that you may not, in many cases, have to set back the headspace all the way back to the unfired number. Being able to measure this with a headspace gauge gives you high probability of optimal accuracy.
    As usually, resizing brass does tend to lengthen it, so some trimming may be needed.
    The ultimate setting on your die is to have a slight "crush fit" when chambering a round. Good luck.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by knikglacier View Post
    As I alluded to earlier, a headspace gauge will take all guesswork out. You set the benchmark by recording the unfired brass or unfired factory round.
    You then measure how much the headspace has changed after the case was fired - maybe .002" up to .007" - each chamber is different.
    The "before and after" measurements tells you how much you need to set back the headspace.
    It is important to realize that you may not, in many cases, have to set back the headspace all the way back to the unfired number. Being able to measure this with a headspace gauge gives you high probability of optimal accuracy.
    As usually, resizing brass does tend to lengthen it, so some trimming may be needed.
    The ultimate setting on your die is to have a slight "crush fit" when chambering a round. Good luck.
    Headspace gauges are not needed, and rather than making things simpler, they can complicate them.

It is difficult to measure to .002 consistently.

Accuracy is only as good as your measuring.

When it comes to how well, a sized case fits a chamber, there are other dimensions on the case to consider, besides headspace.

The ultimate sizing die setting is to have clearance all the way around for easy chambering. Granted, there should not be too much, but how much is too much? Several thou would not cause a lot of trouble.

Too little, as the OP is having is a problem. You gotta make the case smaller SOMEWHERE. The die does that kinda stuff. Cranker down some more or get some different brass.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Oz View Post
    G'Day Fella's,

T-storm, if it is not as Reel Hook suggested, your cases may need trimming, here is a helpful trick I use for adjusting resizing dies.

I get a medium size (1/8") Black or Blue "Texta" or Marker Pen and run 2 or 3 equally spaced lines down the side of one case, from the case mouth down the side of the case. If you are neck sizing, just place the ink on the neck of the case if you are FLS the cases, make sure you get some on the shoulder of the case
    Once the ink has dried, lube the cases and put the case in the shell holder on your press and insert the case into the die.
    Then remove the case and see where the marker pen ink has been rubbed off or removed. Make adjustments to your sizing die, re mark the case with ink again and repeat until you achieve what it is you want to achieve!

I have been doing this for longer than I care to remember but it is simple and works very well for this task!

Hope that helps

D'oh!
    Homer
    Thanx, but thats not the problem, even trimmed one way to short to see and still tight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast